Scotland 500

Was up kinlochleven over the bank holiday weekend. The locals were saying in the pub that the midgies weren’t out too bad so far this year. No problems until Sunday evening they were an absolute nightmare and we got up at 5am to go home and they were absolutely everywhere. People were rocking them mosquito hat things. I’d definitely be buying one if I was going up now

Done it few times before it was called the nc500 , now head to straight to Durness from Inverness and then work our down the west , icoast, if you're on fb there is a forum called the NC500 , should get loads of tips from there, Durness is one of my favourite places great beach, campsite sango sands oasis. If you're travelling in a car camping you will find it easier to get on a site. For the midges Avon skin so soft works great.

Last edited:
Done it few times before it was called the nc500 , now head to straight to Durness from Inverness and then work our down the west , icoast, if you're on fb there is a forum called the NC500 , should get loads of tips from there, Durness is one of my favourite places great beach, campsite sango sands oasis. If you're travelling in a car camping you will find it easier to get on a site. For the midges Avon skin so soft works great.
I’ve got a site eyed for the 3rd night, can’t book it, just a first come first served. Looking forward to it.

Cycled it earlier this month....the west coast from Applecross up to Durness is spectacular.....I missed off most of the east coast and headed south further inland to Lairg.
Stayed over in Inverness, Applecross, Dundonell, Lochinver, Bettyhill and Lairg.

Is this the Scottish national anthem by the proclaimers or something? Up Scotland at the minute and feel like I done 500 miles today getting round the Cairngorms with a road being shut, didn’t see a car in either direction for 30 mins

Starting at Inverness, John o groats, durness, Ullapool and then glencoe. That’s the plan anyways
Castle Tavern and the Market Bar in Inverness.

Only a couple pubs in Glencoe but The Glencoe Inn is decent enough.

Oh, Hoots is canny enough too. Johnny Fox's down on the river if you're desperate late on. :lol:

Last edited:

Someone mentioned Johnny foxes for Inverness. I was in two minds for stopping at glencoe, was tempted for Fort William but watched James Bond and was persuaded 😂

Back