Sciatica

Anyone on here suffer with it?

Had a bad bout of it about 6 months ago, the pain never really went but was very minimal.

The last 2 weeks I’ve been in excruciating pain everyday which is massively impacting how I train. I mainly train in weight lifting and a little cardio but can’t really do much of any of it at the moment.

Do I just need to sit it out for a few weeks or what’s the best options?

Had it really bad, paid to see chiropractor on fulwell road, practically gone now

Absolutely buzzing after two years of pain

I had it for 3 years. Gabapentin, Amitriptyline, Coedine, Naproxen...everything to stop it, new stand up desks at work, physio, chiropractor, stretching, orthopedic bed...

Every time I went to the doctors I mentioned I was weight training and they said it wasn't a problem, keep doing it, but the reality must have been I was over doing it. I stopped training (as much) and over the course of 4 weeks it completely went. From not being able ti walk without pain to running almost everyday all I needed to do was ease off.

I don't know if you train as much as I did, but I would definitely ease off your training for a few weeks. It's annoying but 100% worth it because I lost 3 years out of stubbornness.

I had it for 3 years. Gabapentin, Amitriptyline, Coedine, Naproxen...everything to stop it, new stand up desks at work, physio, chiropractor, stretching, orthopedic bed...

Every time I went to the doctors I mentioned I was weight training and they said it wasn't a problem, keep doing it, but the reality must have been I was over doing it. I stopped training (as much) and over the course of 4 weeks it completely went. From not being able ti walk without pain to running almost everyday all I needed to do was ease off.

I don't know if you train as much as I did, but I would definitely ease off your training for a few weeks. It's annoying but 100% worth it because I lost 3 years out of stubbornness.
I’ve gone to gym doing weights since 25 and ran since 18, like you I have tried everything , would really struggle if had to give it all up

Last edited:
I train 4-6 times per week, weight training. It’s eased up over the last few weeks but definitely still sense it pretty much every day. Personal best lifts all seem to be going up recently also.
If it comes back to the extent it has been the. I’ll definitely be off to physio and laying off the training for a while

Was it just the weights you gave up for 4 weeks mate ?

Was it just the weights you gave up for 4 weeks mate ?
Yes mate, to give you an idea I was weight training 5-6 times per week. I didn't stop entirely, but dropped to twice weekly and cut out posterior work for 3-4 weeks. Since then I still keep it low, I aim for 5/6 sets of 6-8 reps of chins a week and that's it. I think just letting the muscles relax in the back a little must have freed up the affected nerve.

Nothing to lose giving it a try.

Last edited:

Back