Sciatica advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 15970
  • Start date

Think I had a dose of sciatica recently, shooting pain through groin, lower back, back side, down leg into foot

Improving posture whilst sat at work a few simple daily exercises helped a lot

I managed to twang my back this afternoon and now I've got sciatica from just above my waist right down to my foot.

I'm after some useful advice about treatment. I'm considering sports massage or maybe even going to a chiropractor so am asking if anyone else has had sciatica treated by either of these and if they worked or not? Also does anyone have any other recommendations?

Physio worked for me.

I've had it since November after straining my hip at work. I get up and am ok until around lunchtime but then seems to get bad in the afternoon after being on my feet long hours. Swimming seems a canny exercise for it and eases the pain a bit.

I managed to twang my back this afternoon and now I've got sciatica from just above my waist right down to my foot.

I'm after some useful advice about treatment. I'm considering sports massage or maybe even going to a chiropractor so am asking if anyone else has had sciatica treated by either of these and if they worked or not? Also does anyone have any other recommendations?

Sorry only just seen your thread re sciatica - I suffer it a lot being in a wheelchair, luckily my son has a degree in sports injury treatment and he gave me an exercise that always works for me.. I'll try and explain...

Sit up straight and lift the affected leg out straight to 90 degrees (or as best possible)

Now this is where it gets strange :lol: ... cross your arms across your chest... now bring your toes towards your shin ( as if treating calf cramp) and AT THE SAME TIME..

Lower your chin tightly to your chest .. do both these slowly.. hold for 30 seconds or as much as you can manage then slowly return.. It may take a couple of goes but, honestly.. for me it works and I literally feel the pain ease off after 1 or 2 goes.

Hope this helps.

Yep does help Boinger, I have scar tissue after a back op in 1999 stretching will take the pressure off the nerve.

Last edited:

Physio to start your rehab and get started on hatha yoga/mobility.

I made mine a lot worse by using one of those roller things, wheel in the middle handle on each side, ended up with a big disk prolapse.
Over stretching can make it worse.
Naproxen works for me, ibuprofen does nothing.
Heat can help.
One exercise that helped me and might be worth a try, is to lie flat on your back on the floor, rest your head on something like a thick book, then bring your knees up with your feet flat on the floor, and keep still for about 15 minutes.

Had it for about 6 weeks over Christmas, had just got myself right when I went to help with some deliveries at work. Woke up next morning and struggled to get out of bed. My back is okay now apart from the odd twinge and pain, but i still have numbness in my right foot and my calf is really tight and cramping a lot. Im alright when sat down, if im on my feet the numbness gets worse so think it might be trapping the nerve more

Went to doctors about 10 days ago, told me to take paracetamol and advised stronger ibuprofen. Prescribed me some tablets that would settle my stomach incase the increased dosage of the ibuprofen affected it, and said to make an appointment for physio if back was still bad after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I thought i had Sciatica went to see a sports therapist and they said the pain was caused by a muscle in my back which if to tense pulls on the sciatic nerve that runs through it, He gave me a good back hamstring and calf massage and i was fine in a few days, He also wanted to use acupuncture in the muscle in my back which i refused. Finger crossed all has been good or about 3 months now.

I did some exercise that eased it a bit, chiropractor really did make a difference but ultimately it was surgery, had a fucked disc so the other things weren't going to do the trick long term.

For temporary relief I used a wand (no comments) the vibrations seemed to ease it for a bit.

Basically I was stuck with mine until it righted itself but it still threatens to come back if I twist my muscles the wrong way.

Back