1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School cuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scraff, Apr 21, 2017.

1. scraff

scraff Winger

You really are a identikit tory apologist arent you, cut cut cut with little thought of the effects, you spout stuff in here about brexit and how we are going to strike out in the world whilst simultaneously wanting to cut back on education, healthcare, and public services. What sort of country do you actually want as it seems like if you and your precious party have their way it will be a shithole for all but the wealthy. As all Tories you know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

There Are None So Blind
    As Those Who Will Not See.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

The existing evidence is that the overall standard of schools is improving at a rate. As I've already pointed out - according to independent inspectors another 20% of kids are in good or outstanding schools since 2010. Nearly two million kids. If that's been achieved whilst reducing spending, then all the better. Spending for spending's sake would be a weird way to go about things.

As we've already established, the "effects" in this instance have been a further 20% of children in good or outstanding schools since 2010. Not exactly a crisis. On the contrary, something to be lauded.

3. scraff

scraff Winger

It isnt, what is happening is that we are turning out kids who can pass specific exams very well, teachers are not allowed to teach properly and the kids that are going to come out of the current are not going to be rounded individuals that can think for themselves . Teaschers are crying out for this to be changed but total fucking spanners like you look at a few stats from ofsted and think you know whats what, you know fucking dick.

You really are fucking clueless.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Chizno1 and tiptoad like this.
  4. El Matador

El Matador Striker

Enough to make them fit for purpose ?
    From the tax evading multi nationals and self serving tory bastards of course.

5. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

I wasn't referring to exam results - I was referring to independent Ofsted ratings, following school inspections.

6. scraff

scraff Winger

School inspections are a fucking joke as well. Over a 1000 schools havent even been inspected for over 6 or 7 years man, the whole system is a house of cards driven by political dogma.

Chizno1 likes this.
  7. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Ah, I see.

8. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

Technically they are right but they fail to mention the same amount of money that they were putting in but there are nearly 1 million more kids in the system, money has not increased with inflation so is falling in real terms and schools have been subjected to increased employers national insurance contributions and local rates.....In reality there has been an 8% cut in budgets.

scraff likes this.
  9. Randy Ostrich

Randy Ostrich Striker

Which is not where we started.

You asked where the money would come from. I said the free schools programme. Are you now saying that free schools are responsible for an increase in standards?

If you are, your making an assertion that ofsted has cautioned against.

10. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

First thing I would do is to abolish OFSTED which is an inspection regime that is damaging education not improving it and invest the money in actually educating rather than checking an ever increasing paper trail....Maybe then schools could utilise their staff to teach rather than creating said paper trail and cut down on the crazy number of people on the senior management team who spend their lives monitoring the variables required to tick all OFSTED's boxes.....Maybe kids will also then be educated in schools rather than being taught to the test which is what has to happen now to ensure they compete with other schools on those "all important league tables".

11. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

I'm saying that reducing free schools funding is probably going to reduce standards - and why risk that given the clear success that the current model is producing? 1.8m more kids in good or outstanding schools in only six years and still improving more - why fuck about with that?

Ah so it's ofteds fault for pointing out the success of this government's education policies.

Horrible old Ofsted.

12. Howard the Duck

Howard the Duck Striker

I'm sure you used to be a good poster. I've never really read the politics threads you've contributed to until the last few days though. On here you really come across as a pompous, condescending, smug, sneering, dismissive, arrogant piece of work. I saw @Mackem00 praising you the other day for your ability to debate your point (I took note as I think he's a good poster that I often agree with too) but I've seen little to no evidence of it since then. Sorry to rant like.

13. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

With apologies - could you direct me to the abusive posts you're referring to?

14. Howard the Duck

Howard the Duck Striker

Abusive?

tiptoad likes this.
  15. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Indeed. Or anything aside that you disagree with.

16. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

Do you understand what it means to be a Good or outstanding school its just the description of what that is has changed several times since 2010? Part of the problem in schools is that every couple of years (often more regular than that) the DFE will send out a new framework that schools must abide by and be judged upon. The issue with this is that they never allow time for the previous framework and changes to bed in and the success or failure to be quantified before moving on to the next new miracle idea. Little of what they implement is evidence based but costs a lot of money to implement without ever measuring its success to see if the money has been wasted or not.

Top and bottom is that what is classed as good or outstanding now bears no relation to what was good or outstanding in 2010 or 2005 or any other date so they are not comparable......

The schools that we were in in the 60s/70s/80s, the so called Golden age where allegedly more kids passed tougher exams would have been put into special measures as the teaching would have been beyond substandard for being too teacher led without enough challenge for individual kids as we all largely learnt the same stuff. Similarly they would have failed on child protection and safeguarding, they would have failed on the basis that each child was not making enough progress and that progress was not measured and quantified several times a lesson.

Oh and if that wasnt enough if they were classed as good or outstanding schools in all other respects but like in Lincolnshire the children had not experienced enough diversity as a result of being in a virtually exclusively white area they would fail on that criteria alone.

What OFSTED consider to be a Good or Outstanding school often bears little relation to whether a school is actually any good or not.

17. Howard the Duck

Howard the Duck Striker

I didn't refer to any abusive posts.

18. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Any post of your choosing, then.

19. tiptoad

tiptoad Winger

He's making stuff up again.

scraff and Howard the Duck like this.
  20. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

So who is actually the authority on school standards then, for the sake of your argument - if not the full time independent school inspectorate. You? You and your mate(s)? You, your mates and a few others? Someone you know? Nobody at all?