School curriculums

I personally think the history curriculum needs looking at again, or at least looking back on what I studied in the early 2000s did. There was nothing about the world wars, nothing about the miners strikes or the aberfan disaster. Basically if it happened after 1900 it wasn't taught. I think that is a lot more important that learning about Henry VIII and his wives.

Apart from that I think, as others have said, some kind of education into finance, managing money etc should be part of the maths curriculum. Seems far more important than solving the area under a graph to me.

History Geography RE languages, should all be offered to those who want it.

Replace with financial/future planning, mental health, home economics and citizenship

I think Terry Dreary - former teacher turned author from Sunderland - has been saying the same thing about schools in general and the curriculum they teach. Basically that schools don’t prepare kids for the real world and never have.

Academic stuff may look good to some on paper but transferring that to the real world leaves many left wanting.

There’s plenty of numb people in jobs because of a qualification that are totally clueless.

get rid of religious studies.

teach more subjects that can lead kids into trades. Mechanics, Electrical, Plumbing. IT.
Teaching Religious Studies is crucial. Children should learn about the different religions in the world.

What should be banned, and I find it indefensible that it continues in the C21st, is religious indoctrination: faith schools, collective worship, teaching religious bollocks as fact etc.

My other half's then 5 year old left the school gates with a Bronze Age understanding of the origins of The Earth. So something had gone very wrong with an expected lesson outcome. It was because the important prefix "some Christians believe..." was missed. Understandable since he was only 5. WTF are schools doing "teaching" that kind of bollocks to 5 year olds?

Also, since China will likely rule the world when the next generation reach working age, Chinese may come in handy. I know a few schools that are teaching it already.

Last edited:
Maths, English (language and literature), Science, Art (appreciation as well as doing it) Philosophy, PE

The rest I would make parents come in and give them lessons on how to bring up children.

I think Terry Dreary - former teacher turned author from Sunderland - has been saying the same thing about schools in general and the curriculum they teach. Basically that schools don’t prepare kids for the real world and never have.

He's a self confessed hater of schools in general though to be fair.
I do love his work though. Have done ever since the first books came out.

Its a worthy intention but I can't help feeling like the only students who will benefit from it are the ones who are brought up with something equating to decent values. Those that aren't will be unaffected by it. Excuse my defeatist attitude but the ones that most need this enrichment will be those who will not engage with it.
My sons just left and all the parents greet type meetings i went to and the recent one for bede college talk about inclusion and student well being etc and zero tolerance . I've often asked my son if any stuff goes on ,fights,bullys,daft lads etc and he said very little so thats sounds like an improvement from my days
Looking after personal finances, learning how to cook a healthy meal and do odd jobs around the home. None of that would hurt anyone.
This is a biggie,the basics of how the world works as far as borrowing money and finance/interest etc .Budgeting.
The cooking linked to personal health etc would be good

Last edited:
I just wouldn't allow any in any classroom. It makes no sense to allow these distractions in a place of learning.

I don’t know if they are in the classroom but the way things are these days it wouldn’t surprise me.

Someone somewhere will have said it’s against their rights.

We’ve got to stage where the minority are almost always winning.

I’d not bring any kids into the mess we’ve become if I was young again.

I don’t know if they are in the classroom but the way things are these days it wouldn’t surprise me.

Someone somewhere will have said it’s against their rights.

We’ve got to stage where the minority are almost always winning.

I’d not bring any kids into the mess we’ve become if I was young again.
My daughter has a fantastic life and I expect her to bring up any kids properly. It's still, in the words of Satchmo, a wonderful world.

Back