School curriculums

I just said on another thread earlier today that first aid/heart compressions/how to use a defib etc should be taught in schools. It's probably the most important thing anyone can know yet millions don't, me included.

Could be taught as part of PE? Kids are probably at their most engaged in PE.

We did do this at some stage as well. Remember doing chest compressions on one of those plastic dummies.

Should be something to help kids who are good with their hands and aren't as academic. I work in a college and we get kids through that have a skills, but can't get an apprenticeship because they're shit at maths.

Agreed. The prevailing message when I was at school was that people who worked with their hands were thick.

Obviously this isn’t true, but it was reinforced by a) everyone with the slightest hint of intelligence was herded towards university and b) apprenticeships were only presented to people in lower sets.

I don't think it should be a lesson though. Maybe someone comes in on a 6 monthly/yearly basis and gives the kids a refresher course in all aspects of first aid, including using a defib.
Aye I suppose that's what I meant. Not necessarily a lesson but taught anyway in one way or another. It's the best time to learn things when you are a kid.

Agreed. The prevailing message when I was at school was that people who worked with their hands were thick.

Obviously this isn’t true, but it was reinforced by a) everyone with the slightest hint of intelligence was herded towards university and b) apprenticeships were only presented to people in lower sets.
I work with apprentices in a college. There's some cracking young lads and lasses about, but they're held back because the government want them to have a maths and English qualification. We've built plenty of buildings in this country over the years and managed before. They often end up in lower paid jobs or doing courses that lead to nothing because of it. No the wonder we're short of skilled people.

Tbh I don't remember doing anything like that at school but Im 40.

My kids (11 and 8) have pshe where they learn about things like relationships, coping strategies and respect for others alongside the more biological sex education etc.
I would have a special session that teaches things around personal values, mutual obligations to your fellow students and community, resilience, and techniques for learning.

I think they did something similar when I was at school which perhaps focused more on personal health and it could be woven into that.
Tbh I don't remember doing anything like that at school but Im 40.

My kids (11 and 8) have pshe where they learn about things like relationships, coping strategies and respect for others alongside the more biological sex education etc.

I'd put personal finance into the curriculum - understanding how bank accounts, credit cards, debt, loans, mortgages, crypto work.

If you had your way, what subjects would you now place a greater emphasis on and which ones would you scale back/get rid of?

Also is there anything which currently isn't covered by school curriculums which you think should be?

Personally I would put more emphasis on PE, Science and IT.

PE obviously for better physical health. Science so we can get more involved in developing green energy to keep us sustainable in the future. IT should be more focussed on social media and the effects it can have on a young mind. Also teaching kids how to be safe online from misinformation and all the rest of the dangers posed.

Also more mental health lessons are needed desperately!

That would mean I would reduce hours for geography, history and maybe even Maths a little bit, all of which I enjoyed.

That seems a bit contradictory given that maths massively underpins the sciences (and large parts of IT TBH).

Do they do food tech these days? Think we did half a school year of actual design and technology and half a year of food tech up until the point we had to pick GCSEs.

Yes but it's very dumbed down. Eg: take in some pasta, a pack of mince and a jar of Dolmio to make pasta bolognese. I did ask the teacher about it but she said some of the ones she teaches have never even made a sandwich before so they have to keep it basic.

It should be tied in with the personal finance lessons that people have mentioned - how to prepare healthy meals on a low income.

Design tech or whatever it's called now should include more practical things like changing a tap washer, putting up a shelf etc. That's far more useful than making a pencil box.

Yes but it's very dumbed down. Eg: take in some pasta, a pack of mince and a jar of Dolmio to make pasta bolognese. I did ask the teacher about it but she said some of the ones she teaches have never even made a sandwich before so they have to keep it basic.

It should be tied in with the personal finance lessons that people have mentioned - how to prepare healthy meals on a low income.

Design tech or whatever it's called now should include more practical things like changing a tap washer, putting up a shelf etc. That's far more useful than making a pencil box.
We used to make our own pizzas from scratch man. What they playing at 🤣

If you had your way, what subjects would you now place a greater emphasis on and which ones would you scale back/get rid of?

Also is there anything which currently isn't covered by school curriculums which you think should be?

PE obviously for better physical health. Science so we can get more involved in developing green energy to keep us sustainable in the future. IT should be more focussed on social media and the effects it can have on a young mind. Also teaching kids how to be safe online from misinformation and all the rest of the dangers posed.

That would mean I would reduce hours for geography, history and maybe even Maths a little bit, all of which I enjoyed.
PE I agree but you can't have a pop at maths, it's one of the building blocks.

Curriculums or curricula?

I would reimpose mandatory Latin.

Throw in robotics, coding, power lifting, stretching and self-defence lessons.

That's so true. I went to Redhouse Comp and came in the top two in just about every exam and when it came to the time when you had to pick a course to suit what you would do as a career my teachers were adamant I had to take an academic career path. I f***ing hated school and everything about it and kept telling my career advisor I would never work in a office ever and would only work in a job where I was outside. I stuck to my guns and became a joiner. I think half the girls in my class became teachers.
I think council house scum like me should be taught that jobs like banking or share dealing or starting your own business and getting some dogsbody to make money for you isn't just for the rich.

Back