Scariest films

What’s the scariest film you’ve ever seen. I remember seeing The Exorcist in the Stoll on Westgate Road in Newcastle when I was in my teens and being scared witless. I remember people walking out the cinema they were so scared.
Ive posted this on here before. Me and me mate went to see the Exorcist on Westgate Road when it came out. We’d be 19. When it finished we came out without saying a word to each other and went into the first pub down the road. We were on our second pint before one of us spoke.

The Exorcist was a nasty film for its time, but has aged.
The original version of The Haunting is still a creepy film.

And for a very young me, Darby O'Gill and the Little People scared the shit out of me, especially when the banshee appeared near the end. Sean Connery singing was enough to scare most folks.

You should watch it with me. I would take your mind off the terror by endlessly pointing out that none of the dinosaurs in it are actually from the Jurassic era

Sounds like a plan. We could then get together with each of the other posters on this thread to watch their chosen movie and constantly point out that ghosts, demons, the supernatural etc. don't exist.

The Quatermass films were scary for their time.
Sounds like a plan. We could then get together with each of the other posters on this thread to watch their chosen movie and constantly point out that ghosts, demons, the supernatural etc. don't exist.
Scared to death, or a couple of bores boring you to death. Take your choice. :lol:

Last edited:
Nightmare on Elm Street, The Wicker Man - although that was more dread than fear.

Host on Shudder deserves an honourable mention - jump scared the crap out of me, which is impressive given it's basically a recording of a Zoom call.

Back