SCARBOROUGH questions

Problem with Whitby is work. Unless you are going to be self employed what will you be doing? Actually not being fair there, like anywhere some decent paid public sector jobs but once you want to change employer/career you are likely to be FUBAR.
Working elsewhere i suppose but its a pain to get in and out of except maybe trains
Some lovely villages all the way from boro who i assume commute

Working elsewhere i suppose but its a pain to get in and out of except maybe trains
Some lovely villages all the way from boro who i assume commute

Public sector probably the best thing to be in in that area.....Hospitals, schools, fire brigade etc on national pay deals so some of the few reasonably paid jobs......Private sector is horrendous unless you can get in with national companies. Communications mean the whole area is always going to struggle to attract decent sized business's although that is also its beauty.

I've been to all of them but I got the feeling there wasn't enough going on in F and W whereas S was a large town.

I'm bearing all the comments in mind.

I would spend a week in each, with trips to Filey etc, before I decided. If Scarborough has a direct train link to Leeds/Manchester it would tick that box. I do know whitby is 45 minutes from the A19 Boro for Grand Central line and an hour from Durham Tees Valley airport although I'm not sure how much longer it will exist. As I said earlier it is a vibrant little town, all year with a great community spirit, and being in the heart of the N Yorks moors has stunning scenery in abundance. Depends what you want I suppose.

Work there but live South side of Bridlington.

Transport links are very poor. One train an hour to the North West, one every two hours to Hull/Sheffield.

Local bus services run off by 1800hrs in winter and 2000hrs in summer.

Roads in and out are ok in the winter but chaotic in the summer. For example it's 21 mile drive to work and I will leave 45 mins before I start tomorrow, from Easter until November I leave 1h30 mins before. Local knowledge helps to avoid the bottleneck's.

Some nice areas within a few miles of the town. Cayton to the south is canny but with McCain's being a mile or so away the air can stink of oven chips ECT.

Town centre has most of your high street retailers and a good selection of independent retailers. Tesco and Sainsbury's are in the town centre and Morrison's at seamer on the industrial estate. If asda is your thing it's York or Hull.

Two bad points to Scarborough are it's aging population and it has a drug problem, seaside. Although it has some good business in the borough like Mcains, Alexander Dennis ect. This stops more investing as there is a labour shortage.

Steer clear of the south bit as it is slowly falling into the sea. I'd go about 6 miles inland and get a bus pass, as parking is often horrendous during the kids holidays. And who ever decided to build that castle was mental, much more scenic further up the road and inland and not as much sea frets

Two of the three people who might be moving there are non drivers. And they won't necessarily want to rely on the driver. Two of the three are pretty much retired so employment isn't so much of an issue. I thought Scarborough being a largish town might offer more than a seaside resort that shuts down after the August bank holiday.

Two of the three people who might be moving there are non drivers. And they won't necessarily want to rely on the driver. Two of the three are pretty much retired so employment isn't so much of an issue. I thought Scarborough being a largish town might offer more than a seaside resort that shuts down after the August bank holiday.
Sounds ace. Given the context I personally would ignore much of the noise on here. It will be just dandy for afternoon teas, days at the theatre, walks on the beach, trips to the moors...

Best place is the Filey Road area. Some local shops at Ramshill. Walking distance to the town centre and also good bus links. Nice cliff top walks. A good restaurant, cafes, or you can eat in the local hotels.

Also a couple of mobility shops !

It’s the place for retired people.

Whitby is very much an all year round town these days with rail links into the middle of the town. Both are quite hilly mind.

Back