SCARBOROUGH questions

Malton or even somewhere like Driffield where you are half way between York and Hull therefore having access to both for work and with better roads. Not a single decent road out of Scarborough. A64 to York is awful and in summer ends up with monster jams on it, A171 Whitby way ace if you have a motorbike or a sports car that you love to drive but it rolls and winds and in both winter and summer is shit for different reasons. Sutton bank way is equally shit.

Railways to Hull takes forever, railway to York not great and not frequent enough.

On the flip side if you have a well paid job in Scarborough or run a successful business there and love a quieter life (a non City life) then you will enjoy it.
Nice areas all over the Yorkshire wolds, lots of nice villages which I would prefer to the coast personally. Pickering way is canny too, if still a bit Scarborough facing.

Frequent there a fair bit with my job. Takes me 1.75 to 2.25 hours varies time of day and year.

That’s from Durham. I always preferred Whitby as a youngster and still like
Going to Whitby for the day now. Scarb is actaully
Decent for a night out too.

Whitby is nicer but there's obviously a lot more in Scarborough and it has better transport links.

Unfortunately in Whitby you either work in a cafe (or equivalent) or you own it. There's little in between. It's why I left.

Does anyone live there?
Any pros or cons?
Which is the best airport to use for international travel?
How long to get to Sunderland by road? by public transport?
Any good estate agents?
Anything else?
We had a flat there for a while.
Positives:
-The local people are great. Very friendly.
-There are loads of good estate agents.
-Property is relatively cheap.
-Good rail link into York 45 minutes.
- the shopping area is good. Not many empty shops and a good range
- some very good restaurants
- couple of decent pubs (and a few rough ones too)
- SJ theatre is good
- Spa puts on some decent shows

Downside:
- it’s full of chavs in the summer

Lots of different views about Scarborough!

( as for regional airports , I've never used one in England so wasn't actually sure what flights went from them, so I guess for long haul it is still LHR or LGW).

( as for regional airports , I've never used one in England so wasn't actually sure what flights went from them, so I guess for long haul it is still LHR or LGW).
You can get a train from Scarborough to Manchester Airport and get long haul from there.

Edit- should have read previous post.

The missus has a job there at the minute and is living up there for 6 months as can't commute from where we live. If I wasn't bothered about ever leaving the house, I'd move up there straight away, properties are very nice and dirt cheap!

Such a shame the centre and the south bay are awful because I'd like to live by the sea. Scalby is a very nice area!

The missus has a job there at the minute and is living up there for 6 months as can't commute from where we live. If I wasn't bothered about ever leaving the house, I'd move up there straight away, properties are very nice and dirt cheap!

Such a shame the centre and the south bay are awful because I'd like to live by the sea. Scalby is a very nice area!
If you lived in Scalby you'd have to go into Scarborough for shopping? Would it be better to live in Scarborough if you weren't a driver?

NCL has Emirates if you want to travel east and BA & KLM if you don't mind flying via LHR or AMS.
MME has KLM via AMS.
LBA has BA & KLM via LHR & AMS.
MAN has loads of long haul flights both direct & via other hubs.
HUY (Humberside) has KLM via AMS

Last edited:
Scarborough is incredibly hard to get in and out of imo. The A64 is a terrible road as are the coast roads. The A,170 Sutton bank road is marginally better.

If you lived in Scalby you'd have to go into Scarborough for shopping? Would it be better to live in Scarborough if you weren't a driver?

There's a small but very useful supermarket in Newby/Scalby. There are also buses every twenty minutes or so into the town. My Dad lives in Scalby and he walks to Sainsbury's in Scarborough and gets the bus back.

Back