SCARBOROUGH questions

Just stayed there last weekend. My sister has a flat just off the Esplanade she rents out. Lovely old Victorian building which has been redeveloped.

You get a LOT of property for your £££ particularly if you like big old houses or want MASSIVE flats as lots of old guest houses sold off as tourism declined and they are HUGE.

No, but I'd love to.
Leeds / Bradford
1h 40m via Boro & Whitby (great open country roads on the A171)
The train is via York and is well in excess of 3hrs, even if you get the connections cock on.
No idea.
If you're buying a house, get one with a spare room or two that you can let. You'll make a packet.

You're welcome.
All those middle aged white men wandering round the seafront with their shorts and Engerland vest tops? nee good for you Benny boy, you`d wank yersel daft in the first week at all the opportunities for "gammon-spotting"

Does anyone live there?
Any pros or cons?
Which is the best airport to use for international travel?
How long to get to Sunderland by road? by public transport?
Any good estate agents?
Anything else?
My mate lives there and he absolutely hates it and would move back tonight if possible.

Hope this helps.

It really is rundown especially around the Ramshill Road area.
Like most places it gets nicer away from the centre.

My sister (no) moved down there a few year ago. Seems alright to me. Small place, you can walk most places. Parking is shit, think she pays for a permit to park on her own street. Seafront gets daft busy in the summer but a few streets away from it you don't even notice.

Dunno about driving down there sub-90 minutes mind, done it a few times and about 1h 40-45 is the best I can muster. I don't cane it, but I'm not driving like a nana either. Nice drive once Boro is out the way though.

When the weather is bad they close some of the roads coming out back up this way. My mam got stuck last year when I was meant to pick her up, the snow had a couple of roads closed so I just left her down there.

Grew up there......Best airport teeside.....

85 mins by road to sunderland but the roads are f***ing horrific whether you go via Whitby or Sutton bank....If you have anybody in the car who gets travel sick then you are in for a treat cause the roads rock and roll all the way....Worse in summer when caravans heading to coast and can mean you end up stuck behind them at 40mph.

Not sure of estate agents now as been gone some time.

Great place, very insular, amazing countryside on your doorstep (Cleveland way can be accessed from Town and can walk right up the coast.

Crime can be a problem as with many seaside towns as smack rats from West Yorks/Teeside head for bed sits by the sea.

Labour market not the best as with most small places and the roads in and out are that bad in all directions it is not realistic to be working in the nearest big towns/cities (Middlsbrough, York etc.)

I loved living there and it is a brilliant place for kids to grow up but what tends to happen is that once they hit 18 they leave and live elsewhere due to job situation.

It takes forever just to drive to York and the trains are also shit.
That's about it, don't live in Scarborough if you want to be anywhere else without chew even in winter, summer is a nightmare.
I would come inland on the wolds towards Malton

That's about it, don't live in Scarborough if you want to be anywhere else without chew even in winter, summer is a nightmare.
I would come inland on the wolds towards Malton

Malton or even somewhere like Driffield where you are half way between York and Hull therefore having access to both for work and with better roads. Not a single decent road out of Scarborough. A64 to York is awful and in summer ends up with monster jams on it, A171 Whitby way ace if you have a motorbike or a sports car that you love to drive but it rolls and winds and in both winter and summer is shit for different reasons. Sutton bank way is equally shit.

Railways to Hull takes forever, railway to York not great and not frequent enough.

On the flip side if you have a well paid job in Scarborough or run a successful business there and love a quieter life (a non City life) then you will enjoy it.

Why not?
I've been a few times but it was a while back. The thing I liked about it was that although it is a seaside town it is an all round the year place too, ie not just a summer holiday resort. It looked big enough to be interesting.

Continue a few miles up & go to whitbty instead. Loads nicer

As above, sboro is a shit hole move to whitby

Problem with Whitby is work. Unless you are going to be self employed what will you be doing? Actually not being fair there, like anywhere some decent paid public sector jobs but once you want to change employer/career you are likely to be FUBAR.

Back