Scanning / Digitising 35mm Film

Zak's Dad

Striker
Hello there,

As part of my midlife crisis and emptying of the nest I decided I needed a productive hobby and have started to fool around with 35mm film cameras.
I've a few cameras (mainly 60's and 70's rangefinders) and have been merrily snapping away for about 6 months now.

I've just been getting them developed in obvious chains and I usually get the photos digitised at the same time. Some of my photos have inexplicably turned out great, and the scans boots do are pretty low res, can anyone recommend a good scanner or a company that can scan photos or negatives to produce blow ups?

Any advice would be gratefully received, most of the online stuff / advice is about these new fangled 'digital' cameras.

I have a Veho "scanner" in reality its essentially a light box and a cheap digital camera.

It's adequate but no more than that. The good high resolution flat-bed scanners and plustek scanners are insane prices.

I have a Veho "scanner" in reality its essentially a light box and a cheap digital camera.

It's adequate but no more than that. The good high resolution flat-bed scanners and plustek scanners are insane prices.

Thanks, insanely priced electronics are out I'm afraid, so will do a bit of research online.

If it's too unwieldy to scan all film to a high resolution, am I better off just choosing the few I want enlarging and sending them to a professional company?

Are you looking for prints or hi res photos?

If you're looking to scan to hi res digital, then something like this is what I use

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
If you are just really looking for enlarged prints that always be the best way to do it. No need to digitise at all.

So you and AB have answered it all.

I was initially just looking to get better digital images than the pretty low res scans boots were doing, but then started to wonder if I was digitising them to a high enough res then should I look to print them myself?
Not going to disappear down that rabbit hole.

A good scanner if I want to digitise them, and using professional print shops if I'm looking to enlarge rather than doing it myself.

Ta.

Last edited:

Back