Scanner and photo editing software

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK go easy on me - I come from the traditional end of the photographic spectrum and know very little about this stuff...

I do a little digital photography (snaps with a cheapo compact) but have recently rediscovered my old film kit (and acquired some more...). I expect I'll continue with that but maybe one day also add a dSLR to my collection. Obviously nowadays even film photographers get involved in scanning and digitally editing their photos, so I'd like a gentle introduction into that world. However I don't want to spend a lot to start with.

Scanner - I'd like something that will be good for scanning 35mm and 120 format (mainly 35mm) negatives and transparencies, including scanning quite a large quantity of old ones. The scans may not all need to be hi-res, but I do care about quality and would like the option of making high quality scans for up to (say) 10 inch prints, maybe just occasionally. I've seen a lot of people talking about the Epson V series....the V750 seems a bit expensive for me, the V500 may be affordable though. Or would one of the cheaper ones (V330/V33) be good enough? Anything else worth looking at? The dedicated film scanners I've seen seem to be either crap or hideously expensive.

Software - I don't really want to do anything too clever in terms of manipulation, but probably just something a little more capable than Microsoft Photo Editor that came with my PC...to straighten horizons and other fairly basic editing functions. I also don't have a high-end PC so don't want to even attempt to run power hungry applications. Photoshop Elements seems like the most highly regarded of the 'amateur level' programs, but even that is a bit expensive for the latest version. Having said that, Amazon are selling version 7 for £25 or thereabouts which seems like good value. It may be more than I need though - is there anything free or otherwise cheap that comes recommended?

Like most things I guess you get what you pay for, but I also want to keep things fairly simple until I get more competent at this stuff.

Thanks all, and any other hints also very welcome.

OK go easy on me - I come from the traditional end of the photographic spectrum and know very little about this stuff...

I do a little digital photography (snaps with a cheapo compact) but have recently rediscovered my old film kit (and acquired some more...). I expect I'll continue with that but maybe one day also add a dSLR to my collection. Obviously nowadays even film photographers get involved in scanning and digitally editing their photos, so I'd like a gentle introduction into that world. However I don't want to spend a lot to start with.

Scanner - I'd like something that will be good for scanning 35mm and 120 format (mainly 35mm) negatives and transparencies, including scanning quite a large quantity of old ones. The scans may not all need to be hi-res, but I do care about quality and would like the option of making high quality scans for up to (say) 10 inch prints, maybe just occasionally. I've seen a lot of people talking about the Epson V series....the V750 seems a bit expensive for me, the V500 may be affordable though. Or would one of the cheaper ones (V330/V33) be good enough? Anything else worth looking at? The dedicated film scanners I've seen seem to be either crap or hideously expensive.

Software - I don't really want to do anything too clever in terms of manipulation, but probably just something a little more capable than Microsoft Photo Editor that came with my PC...to straighten horizons and other fairly basic editing functions. I also don't have a high-end PC so don't want to even attempt to run power hungry applications. Photoshop Elements seems like the most highly regarded of the 'amateur level' programs, but even that is a bit expensive for the latest version. Having said that, Amazon are selling version 7 for £25 or thereabouts which seems like good value. It may be more than I need though - is there anything free or otherwise cheap that comes recommended?

Like most things I guess you get what you pay for, but I also want to keep things fairly simple until I get more competent at this stuff.

Thanks all, and any other hints also very welcome.

:lol:

The problems you're gonna have with flatbeds for scanning are mainly

- film flatness - certain areas lose focus as the film doesn't lie totally flat
- shadow detail, only high end scanners deliver well
- dust, but this is a problem for all unless oil mounting

That said the Epsons are pretty decent for the price. Not used the V500 myself

Don't forget you need one with a light lid large enough to cover the 56mm of 120 film...

-add newton's rings to the problem -caused by the film being in contact with the glass

:lol:

The problems you're gonna have with flatbeds for scanning are mainly

- film flatness - certain areas lose focus as the film doesn't lie totally flat
- shadow detail, only high end scanners deliver well
- dust, but this is a problem for all unless oil mounting

That said the Epsons are pretty decent for the price. Not used the V500 myself

:) Or even make them wonkier if I so decide.

As for film flatness, are the film holders some of these come with not good enough? Bear in mind that absolute professional standards of perfection are probably not my goal - I can always get a pro lab to do a top quality scan if I ever produce something deserving of it.

:) Or even make them wonkier if I so decide.

As for film flatness, are the film holders some of these come with not good enough? Bear in mind that absolute professional standards of perfection are probably not my goal - I can always get a pro lab to do a top quality scan if I ever produce something deserving of it.

Expect visit from the NHP...they don't knock ;)

Prolly ok for you then.... film holders may help with newton's rings, but not so much with flatness. Bending the film like in an Imacon or drum scanner is the only way really

Check the notes I added on post 2

I have the V500 and I've been very happy with it.

The film holders work well and the quality has been very good, actually I was amazed at the quality when I saw the first few scans.

It also came with Photoshop Elements.

The film holders work well and the quality has been very good, actually I was amazed at the quality when I saw the first few scans.

It's a done deal then :cool:

is there any gear you don't have? :lol:

Oh, loads.

I am a bit of a gear junkie however.

Reminds me of a Leica bloke I used to know, would ramble on for hours about lenses he picked up on ebay. 'clear as a bell' etc etc

Had hundreds of the bloody things. I never yet saw a photograph from any of them :lol:

Really? Considering Amazon are selling the V500 for £140 and Photoshop Elements itself seems to cost about £60 that seems too good to be true.

Anyway, seems the way to go, cheers for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back