Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

is that because it wasnt "below the surface" (its a ferry this time right?)? or is it just a rehash of the first one without really breaking new ground?

btw - has the film Dronningen been released yet that you recommend previously, and if it has is it any good?

To be fair to the makers, am not a boat person so it would have taken a lot.

Completely forgotten about Dronningen. Will have to look it up.
Is it another case of guess who dies first? I think I got that wrong in the first series. 😁

🙂 Something like that.

Last edited:

I might not be paying attention, but in “Below the Surface2” the terrorists seem indestructible as one got hit with a massive axe down in the hold and another got whacked with a fire extinguisher by June but they were all still up and running later.
Also where did they get all the explosives and vest to booby trap the hostages ?
They might also have tied up June in the fridge.
Anyone watching it still ?

Anyone watching Darkness: Those Who Kill on BBC4 at the moment ? Any thoughts so far ?

- - - -

Latest from our shores kicks off tomorrow evening. Shall let yous know what I think.

Anyone watching Darkness: Those Who Kill on BBC4 at the moment ? Any thoughts so far ?

- - - -

Latest from our shores kicks off tomorrow evening. Shall let yous know what I think.

Very good - started off and I thought it was just following the usual cliches but it has been really good with the twists. Looking forward to watching 3 and 4 tonight.

any old good ones that maybe on the bbc iplayer ?
started to watch darkness: those who kill but was finding it all a bit predictable (just copying previous formats)

need something to watch while on exercise bike :D

I am in the middle of watching "The Bridge" and it's great. Saga Noren is a fabulous character (and a proper milf) whose Aspergers makes her doubly interesting in her interactions with other people.

Sadly I was unable to find it on Netflix or Iplayer so had to "obtain" it by nefarious means.

Well worth watching if you can get it.

started to watch darkness: those who kill but was finding it all a bit predictable (just copying previous formats)

need something to watch while on exercise bike :D
Not sure there's much on iplayer. I can highly recommend Rita on Netflix (not so much noir but very good) and I think Forbrydelsen, if you haven't seen it is on Amazon Prime along with Borgen, The Bridge and of course the original Wallanders.

Not sure there's much on iplayer. I can highly recommend Rita on Netflix (not so much noir but very good) and I think Forbrydelsen, if you haven't seen it is on Amazon Prime along with Borgen, The Bridge and of course the original Wallanders.
Think the bridge maybe on bbc
Edit ... shite it’s not in iPlayer

Last edited:
I see Sky are doing a remake of Valkyrien called Temple. Starts on 13th September on Sky 1.

I hope its better than their remake of The Bridge.
i hope its better than Valkyrien, that series didnt work for me... seem to remember that it was good to start off with as the premise was interesting but then as the series went on (was there more than one series?) it just didnt seem to go anywhere, literally.
i spotted a couple of danish ones on the channel 4 walter presents area of their streaming service while looking for Deutschland 86...

Last edited:
New drama series Fred Til Lands begins here soon. Looking good. Will post the trailer to it when I find one.

btw - has the film Dronningen been released yet that you recommend previously, and if it has is it any good?

Watched the movie at the week-end. Out on DVD now and was added to the telly box thingie last week as well. Very good movie. And today it has been put forward as our entry for the Best Foreign Movie category for the Oscars 2020. Whether or not it will be shortlisted for the event remains to be seen but I hope so. Would be a shame not to put it up there. It tackles issues that are bound to provoke the MeToo generation. And Trine Dyrholm has never been better than in this movie. Very thought-provoking, very good. Probably the best Danish movie I have seen in quite a while. If you get a chance to please give it a go.

Last edited:
Don't know if this works outside DK but if it does, this is the latest drama from DR-TV. Beginning here this Sunday.

I am in the middle of watching "The Bridge" and it's great. Saga Noren is a fabulous character (and a proper milf) whose Aspergers makes her doubly interesting in her interactions with other people.

Sadly I was unable to find it on Netflix or Iplayer so had to "obtain" it by nefarious means.

Well worth watching if you can get it.

It doesn't get any better than this. The ultimate!

Not scandi but Spiral is back next week on bbc4. Its class!

TV2 is in production on a six part crime series based on the nasty submarine murder from couple years back.

They have build a replica of the submarine for the series but the focus will be on the police work.

Made with the help of Kim Wall's parents and directed by Tobias Lindholm (probably best known outside DK for his movie The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen).

Air-date still unknown but likely to be sometime 2020.

TV2 is in production on a six part crime series based on the nasty submarine murder from couple years back.

They have build a replica of the submarine for the series but the focus will be on the police work.

Made with the help of Kim Wall's parents and directed by Tobias Lindholm (probably best known outside DK for his movie The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen).

Air-date still unknown but likely to be sometime 2020.
The Hunt is an outstanding film. One of my faves from recent years.

Just noticed that everyone's favourite Sidse (Borgen) Knudsen is in the new Channel 4 drama The Accident with Sarah Lancashire starting on 24.10.19.

Finished Fred Til Lands. Dark and very interesting eight part series which I really hope the BBC will pick up on. About a bitter and frustrated small local community taking things into their own hands to get revenge when what they see as a guilty man getting off scot-free. It contains some disturbing scenes of violence as well as drug use and full front nudity and sexy times. The last episode was aired here on Sunday and it is a must see series if you like dark and gloomy tales with good set of actors. Episode seven came with a warning about it being Very Unsuitable For Children, which doesn't happen very often here. :lol:

I have had a look at coming series. These may be worth a go. Some are new some return:

Tynd Is (Thin Ice) is a nordic collaboration about a science ship near Greenland being attacked. Nicolas Bro amongst others in it. Out in 2020.

Efterforskningen. A six episodes crime series about the submarine murder. Staring Søren Malling and Pilau Asbæk amongst others. Out in second half of 2020.

Series seven of Badehotellet is out in January / february.

Når Støvet Har Lagt Sig. Ten episodes drama series coming early 2020. Little is out about the series so far but it is the latest Sunday night series from DR.

And new series of Those Who Kill and Rita are also out in 2020.

On the movie front dates for the next instalments of the Department Q series have been made public. The dates are: 1 October 2020, 6 October 2022, 3 October 2024 and 1 October 2026. Six movies are being made, the dates for the last two are not yet out.

Back