Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

Cheers. I have to admit I've avoided watching The Hunt before as I thought it might be a bit too uncomfortable to watch, so undecided on that one.
watch it at least once... i think i'll watch it again tomorrow to be honest, as @alexander says - its thought provoking.

Clips of the Swedish chef on you tube, top notch viewing.
the bairn currently as the Pöpcørn video on repeat, sticks as an ear worm but i kinda like that...

Like errant said it is not an easy movie to sit through but I would still say watch it as it centres on a pretty unpleasant yet topical subject matter, which can happen anywhere.
Fair enough. Mads is always watchable, but I just know it's going to be a painful watch! Although when I worked some shifts at the Tyneside Cinema I think I had to sit through The Idiots about 4-5 times, that was some achievement. :lol:

I'll tivo it I think. Not sure it's a Sunday evening kind of film?

It's not, no. And I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC ends up getting a few complaints over it. But it is one of those movies that will stick with you. The acting in it is very good despite the somewhat disturbing subject. I wouldn't be at all surprised either if there pops up a warning note before the movie is shown as well as a Helpline number at the end of it. Not only will it make you think but it could create a strong debate as well. It is a very powerful movie.

Fair enough. Mads is always watchable, but I just know it's going to be a painful watch! Although when I worked some shifts at the Tyneside Cinema I think I had to sit through The Idiots about 4-5 times, that was some achievement. :lol:

:lol: I really liked that one. It was silly, cruel and very funny. But then again I do like van Trier movies.

I'll tivo it I think. Not sure it's a Sunday evening kind of film?
Like errant said it is not an easy movie to sit through but I would still say watch it as it centres on a pretty unpleasant yet topical subject matter, which can happen anywhere.

i watched it last night, its actually a decent sunday night film and far easier to watch on the second viewing. i think the content matter freaked me the first time, whereas the second time round you kinda get past most of it (the scene with the little girl, social worker fella (?) & head teacher is still horrible though) and then see the film as a test of character, society and trust in friends...

Well Haway man

Is there not enough moody budget drama on ITV for you?

Why not just put subtitles on Vera turn the colour down on your telly and change the audio to Swedish?
So you've watched some have you? :lol:
Is it the 'moodiness' you object to - which dramas now are actually copying from the likes of The Killing or is it the reading of subtitles? What about hard of hearing folk who use subtitles - are they up themselves?

I just think it's the kind of comment people used to make years ago re art house films, surely foreign drama is a bit more mainstream these days?

gonna add Jordskott to the list, definitely worth a watch scandi mythology/supernatural thriller set in modern day intertwined with murders and big business conspiracy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309405/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I'd like to see that. How/where did you get it from?

Last edited:
Well Haway man

Is there not enough moody budget drama on ITV for you?

Why not just put subtitles on Vera turn the colour down on your telly and change the audio to Swedish?
No comparsion,though its lost on you obviously.Try better plots,better acting,better screenplay,better locations or just better if its easier.Most annoying thing is seeing the same old faces dragged out for the "New" drama this Spring

No comparsion,though its lost on you obviously.Try better plots,better acting,better screenplay,better locations or just better if its easier.Most annoying thing is seeing the same old faces dragged out for the "New" drama this Spring
:D

That's exactly what someone up their own arse would say

So you've watched some have you? :lol:
Is it the 'moodiness' you object to - which dramas now are actually copying from the likes of The Killing or is it the reading of subtitles? What about hard of hearing folk who use subtitles - are they up themselves?

I just think it's the kind of comment people used to make years ago re art house films, surely foreign drama is a bit more mainstream these days?

I'd like to see that. How/where did you get it from?
It's all very much the in vogue thing

Like when people used to bang in about how good the film 'Donnie Darko' was, it wasn't, it was f***ing shit

Like when people used to bang in about how good the film 'Donnie Darko' was, it wasn't, it was f***ing shit
I think someone who can't tell the difference is up ones arse surely ? Awfully dark up there

Except the Killing is ancient ,Spiral has 5 seasons out etc....what i would say is its attracted plenty copyists. Even exact copies for the slow people

Back