Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

There are various season of Beck available to download but not the whole thing. Is is possible to watch say series three without watching the first two? And is it any good please?

I've watched some on BBC4. can't remember a lot about the series, really. Looking at wikipedia, there's been 6 series over 20 years and the BBC have only shown season 5 onward. I suspect, as with a lot of long running police shows, each episode can be watched fine on its own but there will be some character developments you miss out on.

I'm really annoyed as I was halfway through the first series of The Legacy when I had to get my tivo update and I lost the remaining episodes. So I didn't watch series 2 as I thought it might be difficult to catch up.

I enjoyed the first of the Department Q trilogy but I was very disappointed with second film last night.

It strayed away from what I feel is the essence of Scandi noir - a stripped down, atmospheric, cliche free thriller with a quirky but plausible plot and strong, believable characters.

Last night for me was the diametric opposite of stripped down and the director, apparently not happy with throwing the dramatic kitchen sink at the job, felt it necessary to also hoy in the rest of the kitchen.

I thought it was all over the place and the final scene was a preposterous mess.

A waste of two potentially very interesting central characters.

Jussi Adler-Olsen.

Did you get round to give The Hunt a go ?
I've read some of his books including The Keeper of Lost Causes.

I've still got The Hunt to watch, I have to admit I'm keep thinking I'm not 'in the right mood' to watch it, yeah I'm putting it off as I know it will be a difficult watch! :lol:

A waste of two potentially very interesting central characters.
the third one (which i think is on this weekend) see's Fares Fares really take on more of the story, much to the benefit of the overall story i think. if you have be arsed with it by that point though... :)

I'm putting it off as I know it will be a difficult watch!
i found watching it the 2nd time, that the point of the film was totally different to what i thought it was all about... there's still one scene that turns the stomach but once you cut through the overall theme and get down to the point of it, its actually quite up lifting... #bizarrely

the third one (which i think is on this weekend) see's Fares Fares really take on more of the story, much to the benefit of the overall story i think. if you have be arsed with it by that point though... :)

i found watching it the 2nd time, that the point of the film was totally different to what i thought it was all about... there's still one scene that turns the stomach but once you cut through the overall theme and get down to the point of it, its actually quite up lifting... #bizarrely

Thanks for the summary.

Although I was not impressed with the second film, I was always going to give the third one a go.

I stumbled upon this website earlier on as well. Looks decent for Scandi related stuff.

http://nordicnoir.tv/news/

According to the website the third series of The Legacy began on Sky Arts two weeks ago.

that nordicnoir site is good, i think i'm on their weekly newsletter thing...

is the legacy any good? ive never dipped my toe in it but i thought i might check it out (Trine Dyrholm is worth it for me anyhoo)...

It might just be me...but I'm fascinated by the interiors when watching Scandi dramas. The best being Borgen with Birgitte's apartment, and Martin's fabulous house in The Bridge. Although the last series of The Bridge had some wonderful open plan construction houses I seem to recall too.
that nordicnoir site is good, i think i'm on their weekly newsletter thing...

is the legacy any good? ive never dipped my toe in it but i thought i might check it out (Trine Dyrholm is worth it for me anyhoo)...
I enjoyed what I saw of The Legacy (some interesting interiors too!) before Virgin deleted the rest of the series I'd tivoed. It's more family based type drama. And I rather like Trine too.

Does he? Almost worth checking it out for that reason alone! :lol:
they've probably all merged into one in my mind! that netflix series about the single mother teacher - the name of which escapes me right here - she lived in a lovely gaff. now that i think of it, the Thomas Bo Larsen character in the hunt lives in a similar house to the one he does in follow the money too... mind, 6-7 years later i still think im sarah lund when eating my tea straight from the pan... :lol:

they've probably all merged into one in my mind! that netflix series about the single mother teacher - the name of which escapes me right here - she lived in a lovely gaff. now that i think of it, the Thomas Bo Larsen character in the hunt lives in a similar house to the one he does in follow the money too... mind, 6-7 years later i still think im sarah lund when eating my tea straight from the pan... :lol:
Rita? Her's was a bit of a quirky one - probably to reflect her character. The garden was shocking, as she didn't care about it I remember. Sarah Lund's house was usually seen in the dark - so I've not got much recollection of it.

Kollektivet. (Ulrich Thomsen, Trine Dyrholm).
this was a miss for me sadly... i didnt quite get it, the story didnt go anywhere and the conclusion wasn't really up to much - plus they telegraphed the consequences of the daughters new found love that it wasnt as upsetting as it should have been, if that makes sense?

as i was watching it, i got the feeling that if you lived in Scandinavia, especially in the 70s it would mean more to you - perhaps some things can be lost in translation?

I enjoyed the third Department Q film. A bit busier and flashier than I'd ideally like but still watchable.

Spin on channel 4 on Friday nights is also worth a watch.

Some interesting plot swerves and a number of attractive and reasonably believable characters.

However it's French so the interior design is less scandi minimalist and more trompe-something-or-other, but as you'd expect the couture is extremely haute.

Back