Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

On the movie front dates for the next instalments of the Department Q series have been made public. The dates are: 1 October 2020, 6 October 2022, 3 October 2024 and 1 October 2026. Six movies are being made, the dates for the last two are not yet out.
did it mention if fares fares & Nikolaj Lie Kaas are involved still? i'm assuming not...
Just noticed that everyone's favourite Sidse (Borgen) Knudsen is in the new Channel 4 drama The Accident with Sarah Lancashire starting on 24.10.19.
any good? just reading imdb and its reviews arent good...
I found Ride Upon the Storm wonderful. Lars Mikkelsen does one heck of a acting job in his role as the father. In both 'fatherly' ways. Series two will be shown later this year and am looking forward to it a lot. Despite the ending of series one, which was heart-breaking. Mikkelsen is bound to fall even more apart in the second series.
i've just found series two online this week, will watch it before christmas... what was the reaction to series two like, can't see you ever posted about it? knowing how series one ended i'm wondering if series two was more like the morning after the night before?

Last edited:

any good? just reading imdb and its reviews arent good...

i've just found series two online this week, will watch it before christmas... what was the reaction to series two like, can't see you ever posted about it? knowing how series one ended i'm wondering if series two was more like the morning after the night before?
Err no. It's dire. I only watched one episode.

Err no. It's dire. I only watched one episode.
fair enough, i'll bow down to your opinion and not waste my time... :) definetly gonna watch ride upon the storm before Christmas though.

i presume bbc4 doesnt have any saturday night nordic noir running or about to run? that old 9 till 11 slot seems to be a distant memory for me.
And one I am really looking forward to. Forhøret. With a cast of Ulrich Thomsen, Lars Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Trine Dyrholm, Søren Malling, Lars Ranthe and David Dencik what is not to like. Made by Christoffer Boe who penned and directed Kriger. Forhøret is about a policeman who is determend to find the person who killed his daughter. Each episode will have a new suspect in for interrogation and the entire series takes place over twenty-four hours.
has this been broadcast yet? if so, any good?

Last edited:
Only just discovered The Sinner, I enjoyed it, first time I've watched a "Why Dunnit" and thought it was very well done with all the twists in the plot. I watched the second series first, now onto the first, yes it was a mistake, but there are independent/standwalone anyway.

Wisting, which started on BBC4 last night seems pretty good based on the first couple of episodes.
i'd see a trailer for that previously, but was a bit sceptical as it seemed to have an american slant with her off the matrix being in it? as 'nordic noir' goes does it get close?

i'd see a trailer for that previously, but was a bit sceptical as it seemed to have an american slant with her off the matrix being in it? as 'nordic noir' goes does it get close?

Only two episodes in but it seems to get close. Lots of snow, eccentric characters, concurrent plots. The Americans are FBI investigating as the initial body relates to a serial killer case in the US.

I like the sound of these but I can’t watch anything with subtitles, as I don’t actually watch the telly when I’m watching the telly - I listen to most of it.

I found it a little too Americanised. Not just because of the FBI actors but the rush to explain things. I still enjoyed it and will watch the rest but lacked a bit of the slow-building suspense i'd expect from a scandi-noir.

Wisting, which started on BBC4 last night seems pretty good based on the first couple of episodes.
I’ve just started this , some of it is a bit Repetitive from previous scandi serial killer dramas, same old formula , it is canny though

Last edited:
New ten part series beginning this Sunday. Could be a decent watch, shall let you know what I think.

Trailer can be seen here:

Edit: if you click Drama at the top of the same page a long list of Danish series are listed. Might give inspiration on what to watch.

I’ve just started this , some of it is a bit Repetitive from previous scandi serial killer dramas, same old formula , it is canny though

I watched the final couple of episodes yesterday. Good but not great. I'd initially thought that it was going to be the same storyline throughout but it was two 5 episode stories.

I watched the final couple of episodes yesterday. Good but not great. I'd initially thought that it was going to be the same storyline throughout but it was two 5 episode stories.
yep - its based on two books, not sure if theres a huge amount of continuity. We drifted out about episode 6 - is it worth completing ?

yep - its based on two books, not sure if theres a huge amount of continuity. We drifted out about episode 6 - is it worth completing ?

As I said, good but not great so maybe worth perservering. The second storyline was of a similar standard to the first. As you say, not a lot of continuity. The first case was mentioned early on but there weren't really any links and the Americans weren't involved. Wisting's daughter played a major role again.

I like the sound of these but I can’t watch anything with subtitles, as I don’t actually watch the telly when I’m watching the telly - I listen to most of it.
That's why they work for me ,its intense and you don't take your eyes off the screen .Nothing missed ,no half watch

Bit like riding a motorbike to driving a car ,10 times more awareness and concentration
plus its not the same old faces in everything

yeah its not the best , just feel i should see it through now :D

to. Forhøret. With a cast of Ulrich Thomsen, Lars Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Trine Dyrholm, Søren Malling, Lars Ranthe and David Dencik what is not to like. Made by Christoffer Boe who penned and directed Kriger. Forhøret is about a policeman who is determend to find the person who killed his daughter. Each episode will have a new suspect in for interrogation and the entire series takes place over twenty-four hours.
Watched 5 of the 8 episodes (although at 20 odd mins they’re short). Great premise, one scene per episode with a greatest hits of danish actors! Will finish tomorrow night - not sure if it will be picked up on uk telly buts it been a really quick binge in one night. The main policeman is bit of a twat mind & Lie Klass excellent as always...
plus its not the same old faces in everything
Not strictly true in my experience (although not a bad thing for me).

Last edited:

Back