saw a weasel knack a rabbit today

I definitely thought a stoat was smaller, but I've just checked and although it is close, you are right Stoats do grow larger. They are hard as nails like, and their cousins the Wolverine must be the hardest buggers in the world lb for lb.
wolverines are top boys, would love one as a pet, but mrs wouldn't be happy:D

I’m in the Dales for a week. My walks feature a lot of dead rabbits by the wayside. It’s easy to identify those that have been hunted, killed and eaten and those that have died due to mixing their toasties (or as the op put it : this pox that’s going around).

My first cat (well, she was around before I was) killed a stoat when she was 18. It was under a bench in the garden, from the look of things she'd been sat on the bench (which she loved to do), it had wandered underneath not realising and then was visited by death from above.

18 is a superb age for a moggy. "Death from above" :lol:.

I had assumed as much, as felines are pretty much the perfect predator of all things which have the temerity to move within eyeshot. But thanks for providing firm proof.

18 is a superb age for a moggy. "Death from above" :lol:.

I had assumed as much, as felines are pretty much the perfect predator of all things which have the temerity to move within eyeshot. But thanks for providing firm proof.
I was impressed, because tbh she was quite infirm by then and only lived another year. But a good hunter. Don't think the stoat knew what hit it, because from the looks of things she'd just dropped on it, back of the neck, done. Just as well, because given her age it would have been pretty embarrassing for any self-respecting stoat, be like you or I being mugged by an OAP.

I was impressed, because tbh she was quite infirm by then and only lived another year. But a good hunter. Don't think the stoat knew what hit it, because from the looks of things she'd just dropped on it, back of the neck, done. Just as well, because given her age it would have been pretty embarrassing for any self-respecting stoat, be like you or I being mugged by an OAP.

Did she bring it in the house to show you like?

Nope, I went out early in the morning, and it was lying dead under the bench and she was sitting on top looking very smug.

Speaking of death from above, by coincidence I just saw this amazing photo.

Logon or register to see this image

(background to it here)

Brilliant.
They just kill for sport weasels. Horrible little twats.

It may appear that way as they appear to ignore the carcass, but this is as they prefer to eat the brain only. If a weasel or stoat is eating more than that, it means prey is hard to come by.

Last edited:

Back