Saving for a house deposit, how does anyone do this now...

Few posters on this thread with their head up their arse. Average housing costs have massively outstripped average wages since the 70s/80s so its not exactly a simple matter of stopping in or cutting back on the avocado toast.
Very much depends wherw you are buying and how far your aspirations are

I can well imagine @AndrewP

I help the young ‘uns at work with their budgeting and whatnot. They barely spend owt on booze, all goes on gyms and whatnot. Completely at odds with me at that age and what I think of as essentials.

Saved for over 8 years, including house sitting for long periods.
Cut down on the quality and quantity of loads of everyday items. Tried to save one of our wages each payday. Did things like participated in market research etc.
Ended up with $380k deposit which seems insane to think about that even now.

Are you on a low wage? If so, look into a help to save account. 50% bonus.

Sell some crap you don't need on eBay, or wherever and save it.
Sell some crap other people don't need on eBay. I've given all sorts of stuff away over the years because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of eBay. Would have happily have gone halfies with someone who could be bothered to do the donkey work.

Without knowing your spending it is hard to say. Here is a list of things and sorry if some of them do not apply to you.

Step 1: set up a fixed term limited withdrawal savings account or bond. These have marginally higher (I.e. not 0.1%) interest rates. But crucially, they let you pay in regularly but prevent you withdrawing regularly. Take it out with a separate provider from your current account to reduce temptation to withdraw.

Step 2: analyse your monthly spending on any of the following. Cut out as many as can or are prepared to and then set up a standing order for the same amount to your new savings account:
- purchases lunches and coffees. Make your own and take it in. Will save £20+ per week.
- Netflix/Prime/Spotify Premium/Newspaper/Xbox live etc subscriptions. A quick £20 a month saved.
- Gambling and the lottery are guaranteed money losers over time.
- Smoking, alcohol and eating out can be cut back and save £10 a month.
- Reduce the frequency of buying new clothes if you buy regularly.
- By quality own brand food rather than branded.
- If you can switch from driving to work to walking or cycling to save petrol and parking money.
- Cancel the gym and workout at home and run/cycle for free.
- No takeaways
- Always switch insurance and broadband providers etc each year

If you are able to any more of those things you could probably save £100-200 a month more.

An alternative but more difficult approach to Step 2 is to set yourself a monthly saving and spending target. Then set up a standing order for your target saving amount to your savings account for the day after payday. This then gives you a fixed amount to spend. You may have to choose between different spending options come the end of the month and budget, but it does force you to save.

Last edited:
Saved for over 8 years, including house sitting for long periods.
Cut down on the quality and quantity of loads of everyday items. Tried to save one of our wages each payday. Did things like participated in market research etc.
Ended up with $380k deposit which seems insane to think about that even now.

eye watering deposit that mate well done. Assuming you live in London, £380k being 10% deposit means you’re living in a millionaire road

Matched Betting can be an easy way to earn a couple of grand if you just focus on the sign ups.

An hour or two a day for a month should do it and you'll make 1.5 to 2k.

You can then get really into it and do the reloads if you want, depending on how much time you put in and your account health £100 a week is achievable.

Profit accumulator and oddmonkey are the mains sites to help with this.

You need to make sure that if you do this, don't reload using your current account. Get a disposable account otherwise the mortgage companies won't entertain lending you anything.

Back