Saver or spender

Same , used to be stupid with going out, clothes cars and holidays and saves the bare minimum.

Those days are over, I’ll still enjoy but to a limit. Saved enough that if the shit hit the fan I could go probs a year without income. Not letting that sacrifice go to waste.
Stone Island , Ibiza weekends and Golf / Peugeot Gti’s marra. And that was the stuff I can mention on here. I’m 49 and only just realised what a saving account is even after having a mortgage for donkeys. You sound a lad I’d quite easily have a pint with.😉

Bit of both here. Most of our saving goals are for short term things like holidays or home improvements, apart from the saving we do for the kids. If we have nowt left from the previous month's pay when the new pay date hits it's not a disaster. If we do we try and save it.
I would rather spend every penny and enjoy the here and now than hoard it in the bank with no real purpose.
That's a good approach. Nobody on their death bed regrets not spending money on the good things

I’m a proper spender....but the Mrs (£36.50 PayPal f&f) is canny sensible so think we strike a good balance. Am tight on some things, but if it’s something I appreciate or value, then I can quite easily lose all concept Of what’s rational and reasonable...holidays, clothes especially jackets, watches, trainers, restaurants & bait, will all trigger me, despite what I may have already.

I’m fortunate, through inheritance, which was the peanut in the shite, to be debt and mortgage free at 45, so can maybe be a bit more frivolous....but losing parents quite suddenly can change your outlook on life, and be a little more appreciative of living life to the full, and you ain’t going to do that saving all your wages I’m afraid. Fuck That.

That said, although I have a half decent company pension they I’ve pad into for 25 years, I’m mindful that the right thing to do would be to plough more money into it over the next 10 years....I know it’s the right thing to do but to be honest I’d rather have a good time now. The sensible other half will convince me otherwise I’m sure!

I buy a lot and spend a little.
For me saving comes first, but I do buy a lot of little things for my own amusement. Small things like a pint in the pub (when we could), a model kit to do with the bairn, or a good book is all I really need, but I will buy several of each a month. Can't remember the last really indulgent thing I bought just for myself. My bank statement this year has always got loads of small transactions.

I was a saver, then I lent a bit to someone and it was the daftest decision I ever made.

New job means I'm focused on saving and investing in my future.

I lean towards spending unfortunately
Clothes, gadgets, eating out and music are my vices
I only spend what I’ve got though and I do still save, saving a right chunk each month at the minute for a house as I now need double what I thought I did for a deposit thanks to COVID and to a lesser extent help to buy changes
I have nowt left in the bank a few days before pay day like

I'm not one of the throw away generation. I mainly renew stuff because what i already have becomes useless. If i buy stuff, it's usually at my wifes badgering, even though she's not a big spender either.
So definitely not a spender. So saving is no problem resulting from that. Comes mainly from being dirt poor as a kid.
I can see the cat and dog shelters getting the benefit once we are gone and i'm happy with that.

Massive spender before Covid. New clothes out to the boozer. No pubs open ,no new clothes needed and actually saved a bit.
Same here. I've never been financially better off as I am now.

When the football was off during the firs lockdown I didn't spend a penny on anything about from food shopping.

Shows how much I spend on football clothes and betting.

I appreciate money, as a kid I had holes in my shoes, the lecky was cut off on a regular basis, we really had f*ck all, nowt, my mam didn't have a clue about budgeting, I have had a good life as an adult, but I am still ultra careful with cash, I have in the past bought thousand quid coats or more expensive handbags for my missus while wearing counterfeit trainers myself like a scatter.

Always saved a bit for a "rainy day" - in and out of work on different contracts/rigs when I was working - so I had to have a bit put away to pay the bills.
Luckily the longest that I was on the dole was around 4 months - so I had enough to cover them.

Spend it while you can, colleague of mine was wedged (talking couple of million), he died last April due to Covid. Mates dad saved all of his life retired and dropped dead the next day.

You can’t spend it when you’re gone, life’s too short. People say save for the kids, let the kids save for the kids. Keep some aside for uni fees etc but blow the rest.

Colleague who died his will has only just passed probate due to vultures in the family contesting it. People he hadn’t spoken to in years.

Last edited:
Like to have a bit put away but at the same time if something is available that I want or a holiday crops up that i want to go on, i`m not going to deprive myself of it, I would dip in. Surely the point of putting money aside is so you can buy nice stuff

Back