Saver or spender

Any of you with Halifax added the "Save the Change" to your account?
That's a clever little way of putting bits aside without you really noticing.

If you buy something on your card, it'll round it up to the nearest pound, take that amount and put it in a separate part of your account.

Any of you with Halifax added the "Save the Change" to your account?
That's a clever little way of putting bits aside without you really noticing.

If you buy something on your card, it'll round it up to the nearest pound, take that amount and put it in a separate part of your account.
Nah. I don't see the point really. Just save what is left. Canny if it works for you though.

Yeah but think about it. You could give them a quid to go on a shite "ride" that goes up and down for a few minutes or you could give them the nail-biting high octane thrill that is ... a 2p machine

Better than those daft token machines where you need 100 tickets for a 10p bit of plastic junk from a Christmas cracker.

I'm a saver. Brought up in the 50's with fkall so have a great appreciation of money, you cant do much without it.

Ive always been a saver, never more than now in my 70's.

I've saved with the intention of leaving my 2 kids as much as I can, but at the same time remaining comfortable.
This is me too. Must be our 1950's era, knowing what it's like to have nowt

Horses for courses really. I'm now retired and can actually save from my pension but up to in my late 30's I was always a spender. Then I went through a costly divorce, struggled to get back on the housing market and then when I did a recession hit where mortgage rates sky-rocketed. By the time I'd paid for the mortgage and a season ticket for work I was literally dependent on a credit card to eat. Just surviving for a year or so. Came out in negative equity and laden with debt. I learnt a lot of lessons about budgeting and self control.
All these years later I'm still careful but happy with my lot. I have ended up in a house that I love and in a beautiful spot, my one and only indulgence is art and I buy at least one peice each year. But my way of life is deeply informed by those lean years I went through.
Very few material possessions have brought me happiness in anything but the immediate short term. None have added to my own sense of self worth.
Just the way I am.
But who knows, I may well decide to dedicate my final years to hookers and blow.
Horses for courses really.

I’ve realised from the lads I work with in the minority on this.

We are all about to or just have been made redundant, in preparation for this I started tightening my belt 12 months ago, once my car was paid off didn’t change it, put my phone onto sim only etc, nothing of the sort from them.

I couldn’t sleep at night with some of the debt they’ve got and they aren’t on bad money at all.

I worked in Germany many years ago for Siemens, the job was great, got paid my full wage at home, lived in a hotel with bed and evening meal, company paid for a hire car and I got £35 per day living expenses, we had 2 weeks in Germany then a long weekend at home, flew home Friday Morning, back Monday night....spent most nights in the bar, and weekends in Germany out on the piss without having to touch any money at home....what I couldn't understand was the lads that saved the living allowance, they never came out, just sat in their rooms, some lads came back with around £5k, then had their wages still in the bank at home. They missed some great nights out, trips to football, and missed out on the German culture all for a few grand....

spent every penny I had until the first job after uni. I found I only had enough to just exist. Lived within my means since then, suited me really. God how boring does that sound, retired early mind so was worthwhile

Back