Save Doxfords West Gateway

The campaign is to move it to a prime location. I'm sure the donations page said 250,000 was all that was needed to do this.

For god sake its a piece of Sunderland history. Lets hope the judging panel for tje City of Culture aren't reading this thread....some truly shocking comments from people who are finally showing their true colours.
I’ve worked on a restoration project before.

I can tell you now that 250 grand won’t even cover architects, engineers and legal fees to relocate a building brick by brick

I remember being a 15 year old apprentice in the 1950's and being sent out through the gates many times by the tradesmen to buy one cigarette ( Passing Cloud, Turf, etc.) from the small shop outside the gate.
The shop used to open a packet and sell one fag for 1d , old money.
I'd take the cigarette back to the men and they would cut it perfectly into two half's. If the cigarette was damaged you got a clip around the ear.
Working men needing to do that was real poverty, no food banks those days.
My first pay packet: £1. 8s . 4d
mine was £1.17.6.

I’ve worked on a restoration project before.

I can tell you now that 250 grand won’t even cover architects, engineers and legal fees to relocate a building brick by brick
I didn't come up with the figures but im guessing the idea is that there wont be any legal fees, land purcahse etc as the council will grant this gratis.

It's what it represents more than anything. Would make a fantastic restaurant or pub on the vaux site i reckon.
You didn't even know it was there until a few month ago Armpit, let's be honest. You bang on about nothing being left of the yards.fuck me, pallion yard, once the largest under cover dry dock in the world is still a going concern. Get ya head out of your comics and have a look around the place.Nothing notable will ever be produced in that dock ever again, because we simply can't compete with the fuckers who came over in the70s a and 80s , copied our ideas then pissed on our chips , working for bowl of rice a day.

The campaign page clearly states the intention is only to retain the arches and gates.

#fakenews
Thats all that needs retaining.Anyway Armpit, have you forgot or indeed didnt even know that the potential to build ships on the Wear is still there and could be done tomorrow yet you bang on about a shithole gatehouse that I'd wager a bet you didn't even know existed til a month ago . Don't let facts get in the way of your agenda though.

Last edited:
You didn't even know it was there until a few month ago Armpit, let's be honest. You bang on about nothing being left of the yards.fuck me, pallion yard, once the largest under cover dry dock in the world is still a going concern. Get ya head out of your comics and have a look around the place.Nothing notable will ever be produced in that dock ever again, because we simply can't compete with the fuckers who came over in the70s a and 80s , copied our ideas then pissed on our chips , working for bowl of rice a day.

Thats all that needs retaining.Anyway Armpit, have you forgot or indeed didnt even know that the potential to build ships on the Wear is still there and could be done tomorrow yet you bang on about a shithole gatehouse that I'd wager a bet you didn't even know existed til a month ago . Don't let facts get in the way of your agenda though.
An angry man with a well-focussed attack can be quite unsettling indeed.
An angry man with an appalling grasp of grammar however, is just f***ing hilarious. :lol::lol::lol::D

An angry man with a well-focussed attack can be quite unsettling indeed.
An angry man with an appalling grasp of grammar however, is just f***ing hilarious. :lol::lol::lol::D
Angry? Nah, I pity you. Sign of a knob when you can't answer a question you try and wriggle out. It seems that you were outed as a liar a while back. It seems we can add drama queen to the growing list.Ever worked in the yards petal?

Angry? Nah, I pity you. Sign of a knob when you can't answer a question you try and wriggle out. It seems that you were outed as a liar a while back. It seems we can add drama queen to the growing list.Ever worked in the yards petal?
What question have i tried to wriggle out of exactly? Haway, find it and post it smart arse.

What question have i tried to wriggle out of exactly? Haway, find it and post it smart arse.
You quoted the gatehouse is the last standing piece if shipbuilding on the wear, ya Muppet. I asked you did you know about pallion yard.No comment other than the owld angry man, grammar blah blah.
You know fuck all about the yards man.
Get back to your computer magazine.

You quoted the gatehouse is the last standing piece if shipbuilding on the wear, ya Muppet. I asked you did you know about pallion yard.No comment other than the owld angry man, grammar blah blah.
You know fuck all about the yards man.
Get back to your computer magazine.
It is the last original building left standing. Dear me what is it with some people. We're trying to preserve the last remnant of a huge piece of our City's history man. If people can't support this then what hope have we got...

It is the last original building left standing. Dear me what is it with some people. We're trying to preserve the last remnant of a huge piece of our City's history man. If people can't support this then what hope have we got...
If this thread is a representation of how the people of Sunderland feel about their history, it is a very sad day.

Back