1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save Doxfords West Gateway

Discussion in 'SMB' started by moshpit, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM.

1. the boot

the boot Full Back

Depends if they want me to quote I will. Need to see the job first, but there seems to be some support there for this so I'm sure it's doable. I would move it as it is and have it as a piece of historical art, to show the demise of the old industries that the city was built on. Maybe incorporate it next to new offices on Vaux site to celebrate the transition from old to new.
    Ground zero Has rusty/burned bits of metal, but when you look at them the feeling inside is incredible. Not saying this is anywhere near that scale just stating a fact that it does not have to be pretty to be of interest.

Use it as a statue with all the shipyards named on it?

What would you do?
    Maybe call it the fall and rise of the wear?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    moshpit likes this.
  2. I know what it is I dont get why it needs saving.

3. Mackem00

Mackem00 Striker

Nee way you are 20 odd like. :lol:

4. the boot

the boot Full Back

same reason the fire station did.

5. Mackem00

Mackem00 Striker

I'd knock it down. It looks shit.

kamaras-tash likes this.
  6. the boot

the boot Full Back

Fair comment.

7. The old fire station was in a prime location, this isn't.

8. moshpit

moshpit Midfield

The campaign is to move it to a prime location. I'm sure the donations page said 250,000 was all that was needed to do this.

For god sake its a piece of Sunderland history. Lets hope the judging panel for tje City of Culture aren't reading this thread....some truly shocking comments from people who are finally showing their true colours.

9. lurker

lurker Winger

Why not buy it off the council and open a new cafe there len?

Culture? A fucked old brick building is culture now :D

250k my arse

10. Boris Bear

Boris Bear Striker

Not skilled enough to work in the shipyards then

I'm starting a campaign to pull down this gatehouse. I will post a change.org link in a bit

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    StiflerPG, Ben Gardner and lurker like this.
  11. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

I’m pretty sure it will cost more than £250k to relocate it. Probably cost that just to number all the brick up to make sure it’s rebuilt exactly. I’m all for saving the gates and possible the arches but don’t think the whole lot should be relocated.

12. You would be lucky to get land in a decent location for that price let alone move it and rebuild it. £250k will probably cover the purchase price of the building and fuck all else.

The people running the donations page don't know shit from clay if they think any different.

kamaras-tash and lurker like this.
  13. The council already have plans to do that although the petition strangely neglects to mention that.
    https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news...ipyard-building-from-the-bulldozers-1-8822274

Some Random Guy and Bob Fleming like this.
  14. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

I doubt people want it in a prime location. Not the whole thing. The page has only got 500 odd signatures. People are hardly clamouring for this. Lower expectations that the whole thing should be moved and there might be more support.

15. The person setting up the donations page didn't even know the thing existed until he saw something online recently. He plucked the figure out of thin air and the page has now disappeared.:lol:
    Being quoted as fact on here though so £250k must be how much it costs.
    https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news...nderland-s-historic-doxford-gateway-1-8828276

16. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

17. the boot

the boot Full Back

Erm maybe because I'm not len?

he was mince tbf
    He was small like you and had small man syndrome like ya self.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM
  18. Mackem00

Mackem00 Striker

Boris Bear and Some Random Guy like this.
  19. Still better than Jim's ma though.

20. Boris Bear

Boris Bear Striker

So he wasn't small then, Len