Saturday jobs - anyone used to have one?

Used to set up the ALS stall on matchday and then flog the magazines by St Peter's Station. Experienced some of the coldest days of my life doing that. I remember being so cold one time that I couldn't feel my fingers so wasn't able to give someone their change. I just had to open my hand and let them pick it out themselves from the mountain of shrapnel. :lol:

It paid 20 to 30 quid iirc which went straight toward going to the next away game. Packed it in as soon as I could get served at the pub. Good experience though as a 15/16 year old, and the money felt like a lot then too.
As I recall you made more cash selling ALS than the program seller got

Used to have a paper round around the roker park area. I was a pot boy in the mill view club, when richie and maureen had the place. No women in the bar back then.

Not Saturdays but I did an hour Mon - Fri after school in Woolies in Mutant Aycliffe, also did a milk round which I started at 4.30. Woolies was a breeze, I bailed (crushed) the cardboard boxes in a machine and there were fooking hundreds so time flew. Milk round was a laugh but hard graft, I was back in bed by 6.30, sleep pattern was fooked but I earned the dosh. It funded me going to loads of away games 82/83 in my last year at school and most home matches. Those were the days.

I used to work at Newcastle Central Library on Saturdays, late 70s and early 80s. Even writing that makes me feel old. I was basically shelving books all day or on the counter, which was always manic. If your money was down they used to ask you to make it up there and then. I didn't mind it, but my plan was never to work in libraries full time. But that's where I eventually started work.

I think all my friends had Saturday jobs, it's just what you did.
I did a library stint too. It was so dull I used to amuse myself by letting off people I thought seemed nice of their fines. No one ever seemed to mention the till being out. Though I'd throw the odd change in from my lunch to fox the casher-upperer

I worked every Saturday with my dad - alongside my two brothers. He had a local paraffin and firewood delivery round. It was the 60’s. I wasn’t paid. We did it in rain, snow, hail, wind and mostly freezing. Coz, of course, that was when the demand was highest. I did it between the ages of about 9 or 10 till I was about 13.

It was an expectation at the time and I knew nothing else. The point was to put food on the table I suppose. But I didn’t even think of that. I suppose we were poor but I didn’t realise. My Dad was a very very hard worker and it all came good in the end.

Sport shop in Newcastle.Got punched to fuck in the stock room for being a mackem all the time and had to deal with gloating Keegan era mags non-stop.

Saturday night in my Nana's chippy, used to peel and chip the potatos and defrost the fish. Didn't used to get home till after 1am and loved it as a 11 year old lad, she used to give me £20 for the night which was a canny wedge back in the 80's for a bairn.

Miss me Nana like, top lady and cracking cook :(

btw it was the Leyburn fish shop in Birtley next to the coach and horses if anyone remembers it ? Maybe @Leonard osbourne

Was a safety steward at the football. I think it's since been replaced by proper security firms these days, but it was a canny job at the time. Could watch the match, nick a few autographs and that.

Had a morning paper round from early 80's, think I was still in last year of junior school when I started. From 14 every Saturday I used to help out the family who owned a few newsagents across Co Durham delivering ciggies and sweets with the owner to all the other shops. He used to own a massive Merc estate car, it was packed with goodies when we first set off. Used to get £20 a day then. I still used to do it in my late teens but I got to drive his car as he was banned for drink driving!

I had a couple of paper rounds, first for Docherty’s on Roker Avenue (Mr Docherty and his wife were lovely). Then I got a different paper round working for the fella that ran the little newsagents opposite the Roker End/Main Stand. I don’t think I ever knew his name, I just called him Grump as he was always really miserable.
When I got a but older I got a Saturday job in Littlewoods Restaurant in the town. I remember the first time I done overtime during the school holidays and coming out with over £200, I have never felt so rich in my life.

Had the odd paper round that didn't last long, then when I was 15 I got a summer job at a place on North hylton road. In their stores department. Was class, got a lift there and back most days. I was paid 140 quid a week cash in hand as I was too young for tax and NI. Felt like a millionaire. Was offered a job at the end of the summer but still had a year to go at school. They started taking off tax and that towards the end of the summer so I got a lump sum out into my name back account when I complained. I used that to buy a cd writer and started selling copied playstation 1 games. Was f***ing racking it in back then.

Saturday night in my Nana's chippy, used to peel and chip the potatos and defrost the fish. Didn't used to get home till after 1am and loved it as a 11 year old lad, she used to give me £20 for the night which was a canny wedge back in the 80's for a bairn.

Miss me Nana like, top lady and cracking cook :(

btw it was the Leyburn fish shop in Birtley next to the coach and horses if anyone remembers it ? Maybe @Leonard osbourne

Not me mate, I'm from Jarrow

Had the odd paper round that didn't last long, then when I was 15 I got a summer job at a place on North hylton road. In their stores department. Was class, got a lift there and back most days. I was paid 140 quid a week cash in hand as I was too young for tax and NI. Felt like a millionaire. Was offered a job at the end of the summer but still had a year to go at school. They started taking off tax and that towards the end of the summer so I got a lump sum out into my name back account when I complained. I used that to buy a cd writer and started selling copied playstation 1 games. Was f***ing racking it in back then.
^^ HMRC likes this ^^

Back