Sash window restoration?

If they're listed, make sure you save the glass and the weights, they can be very expensive to match up, sometimes the weight pockets can be to slim for modern weights, repairing the actual timber window sach or box should be a piece of piss for any chippy.

It's a piss easy job to get them working again unless they are rotten. First prise off the internal beads that are against the bottom window. Use an old chisel to free the internal window so it slides up and down again, the rope will probably be f*cked but if it isn't then slide the sash window as high as it will go and chop through the rope with a chisel. If you chop the rope when the window is closed the sash weight will fall about 3ft and could damage inside of the box sash. Now take out the window and put it to one side. For the external window remove the parting beads and then cut the ropes etc, exactly the same as what you did to the internal window. On the sides of the box sash there will be a pocket that was held in by the parting beads, prise these out (they will probably be stuck with years of paint) and pull out the sash weights. If the wheels at the top of the frame are knackered then replace them, they are easily available. What you need to do next is paint the part of the windows that never get painted, you will see the bare wood, the only way to paint it properly is when the window is apart. Next you need to weigh the individual windows on bathroom scales, say for example the the top window is 10 kilo then each of the lead (or more likely cast iron) weights needs to be 5 kilo's plus a couple of ounces so the the window is biased towards closing. Weigh the bottom window but this time the weights need to be a couple of ounces light so that the window is again biased towards closing. The weight you have taken out will more than likely be too light because of the layers of paint on the windows and broken panes of glass will have been replaced with thicker heavier modern glass. So what you need to do is buy something called a "make weight" it's just a lead tube that you cut into the required length/weight to add to the original weights. Buy some new rope (sash cord) which is easily available and then you have to make a mouse. A nut or bolt or anything small and heavy can be used, tie it to some thin string, I use fishing braid, and drop it down through the wheels at the top of the sash. Tie the sash cord to the mouse and pull it back up through the wheel, tie the weight to the sash cord and bung it back inside the sash. Next is the awkward bit, you need to pull the cord so the weight is up against the wheel at the top of the sash and then somehow you need to keep it there, some people put a screw through the cord but I prefer vice grips. Now you need to nail the cord to the window frame but make sure the window is about 6 inches clear of the window sill, free off the screws/grip and close the window. Now do the same with the internal window but this window needs to be right down to the window sill and there needs to be couple of inches of slack in the rope. Once you've done that you can put the pockets back in and nail the parting beads back in place. like I said, a piece of piss. Each window should only take about 2-3 hours for a basic rope change and make weights added, anything extra will take longer obviously.
Old sliding sash windows are crap like for draughts, modern ones with springs are better but I doubt you'll be allowed to fit them.

If they're listed, make sure you save the glass and the weights, they can be very expensive to match up, sometimes the weight pockets can be to slim for modern weights, repairing the actual timber window sach or box should be a piece of piss for any chippy.
There’s fuck all weights on these like. It’s just a cord.

Have a look at the top of the window frame, the cord will disappear into a little hole, there will be a little pulley wheel there that the cord runs over and then it's tied to a weight inside the frame which is hollow. The window frame is just a long box hence Box Sash window.

Have a look at the top of the window frame, the cord will disappear into a little hole, there will be a little pulley wheel there that the cord runs over and then it's tied to a weight inside the frame which is hollow. The window frame is just a long box hence Box Sash window.
I don’t doubt it mate. I know nowt about windaz like

If you can open it without getting a hernia you can lay odds there are counterweights in the frame.

They’re probably not the cheapest but we had Ventrolla do ours years back, installing draught proofing at the same time as we didn’t want to replace with new double glazed units. They did a cracking job on the bedroom windows.

We had a local joinery come in and completely replace the downstairs bay window a few years later (probably about 20 years ago now) and we’ve just repainted it during lockdown to find it still in excellent nick.

If you can open it without getting a hernia you can lay odds there are counterweights in the frame.

They’re probably not the cheapest but we had Ventrolla do ours years back, installing draught proofing at the same time as we didn’t want to replace with new double glazed units. They did a cracking job on the bedroom windows.

We had a local joinery come in and completely replace the downstairs bay window a few years later (probably about 20 years ago now) and we’ve just repainted it during lockdown to find it still in excellent nick.
Absolutely ideal that. Cheers. They’re f***ing freezing as well. Hope they can sort that out. Proper nuisance these like.

Just replaced 4 large and 2 small on a property..originals were single glaze..7.5k plus vat fitted and painted..bloke in kendal did them..however he always regrets saying he will fit them..especially on a 4 storey building, if they were original then they were put in 1885..so they have lasted well...have had various fixes on them over the 20 years I've had them ,mainly snapped cords..new ones look great..in a conservation area in Ambleside so decided against plastic as would have to jump through hoops to get permission...I'm sure you can find someone local to repair them

Apologies for the boring thread. Have 3 large Victorian, Panelled sash windows that I need to be restored. I’ve no idea what I’m talking about here so excuse the mistakes. The building is listed so they need to remain exactly the same. The cords to open them are fucked. The wood has been painted millions of times so ideally I’d like them stripping down to the wood, made smooth, painted, sealed and made to be fully functional. Anyone know of anyone that can do this type of work? Had a chat online with a bloke but I didn’t get filled with confidence by what he was saying.
Stuart McKay Sliding Sash Windows
phone 01325 722816 / 07980 588065
email [email protected]

Last edited:

Back