Sarajevo

Anyone been recently, worth a visit? Its history is fascinating, but more concerned about bars and places to eat! Will a couple of days there suffice?

Trying to plan a trip around the Balkans in the summer, what a nightmare it is to travel between cities. Pulling my hair out trying to sort a route.

Spent a week in Croatia then got the bus up to Mostar and finally Sarajevo. Loved both Bosnian cities, had a local take us on a tour in both places - this was organised as in both situations they were the hostel owners. The train lines are still blown up so bus is the only choice for travel.

Bosnia is lush - no safety worries and probably the canniest people I've met in East Europe. Try to go on a day trip / mission up to the old Bobsleigh track track. Two days would suffice.

I'd suggest pairing it up with Mostar as there is equally as good - if you're here try to go to Kravica waterfalls.

Anyone been recently, worth a visit? Its history is fascinating, but more concerned about bars and places to eat! Will a couple of days there suffice?

Trying to plan a trip around the Balkans in the summer, what a nightmare it is to travel between cities. Pulling my hair out trying to sort a route.

Few lads I know went we played them in 2002 in a CL qualifying game. There was warnings about travelling but they loved it. It was August so lovely weather and dirt cheap.

Would very much recommend it. I loved it, though this was just over ten years back. Really nice little city with a fascinating history.

Part of a similar trip actually - Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia.

Really enjoyed it.

Would very much recommend it. I loved it, though this was just over ten years back. Really nice little city with a fascinating history.

Part of a similar trip actually - Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia.

Really enjoyed it.

Doing Montenegro in March, Kotor and Podgorica

Spent a week in Croatia then got the bus up to Mostar and finally Sarajevo. Loved both Bosnian cities, had a local take us on a tour in both places - this was organised as in both situations they were the hostel owners. The train lines are still blown up so bus is the only choice for travel.

Bosnia is lush - no safety worries and probably the canniest people I've met in East Europe. Try to go on a day trip / mission up to the old Bobsleigh track track. Two days would suffice.

I'd suggest pairing it up with Mostar as there is equally as good - if you're here try to go to Kravica waterfalls.

Nice one, cheers. I've been looking at doing Podgorica, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Mostor and then Sarajevo. Just trying to suss out how long to stay in each place.

Got a flight from Sarajevo to Budapest for 10 quid, then back to London. Not really bothered about Budapest as I've been before, but it's a bit of a nightmare to get back to the UK from there, extremely limited flights.

Did you drive or use buses?

Nice one, cheers. I've been looking at doing Podgorica, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Mostor and then Sarajevo. Just trying to suss out how long to stay in each place.

Got a flight from Sarajevo to Budapest for 10 quid, then back to London. Not really bothered about Budapest as I've been before, but it's a bit of a nightmare to get back to the UK from there, extremely limited flights.

Did you drive or use buses?
I would very much recommend the overnight train from Belgrade to Bar in Montenegro. Set your alarm as the scenery is gorgeous in the morning. Probably the best train journey I’ve ever been on.

Belgrade and Novi Sad are worth it IMO

Think I flew back cheaply from Pula in Croatia

Ferries in Croatia / busses in Bosnia. Seems to be loads going and it’s all fairly casual, get on and buy a ticket usually. Just make sure it’s going the right way :lol:. I’d say 2/3 in Dubrovnik (go to Lokrum island too while there for day), 2 in Mostar and 2 Sarajevo. We started in Split, went down the coast through the islands and up from Dubrovnik into Bosnia. Kotor and even Albania etc is meant to be nice.

A couple of days is enough mate. Did two nights there when we had a week in Bosnia. Mind that was about 8 years ago now.

Dubrovnik is pretty but rather dull and pricey.

Just my view, I know others disagree.

Would likely use that as a couple of days to do nothing and just chill out. Looks a bit too touristy for me.

I would very much recommend the overnight train from Belgrade to Bar in Montenegro. Set your alarm as the scenery is gorgeous in the morning. Probably the best train journey I’ve ever been on.

Belgrade and Novi Sad are worth it IMO

Think I flew back cheaply from Pula in Croatia

Aye I just can't work Belgrade into this trip. I've been wanting to visit for a while though so will definitely get there for a long weekend at some point.

Last time I was there we were just sat off the coast watching the tracer fire going back and forth. Was canny having a beer seeing it then you realised people were dying while you were enjoying a cold one

Back