Sarah Taylor retired due to anxiety

mackembhoy

Striker

Now I don't watch loads of women's cricket. But as legend of the women's game sad to see her retire due to this. Still had plenty to give only being 30.

Hopefully with Trescothick,Trott and now Taylor. Lessons can be learnt to avoid anyone else suffering so much they have to retire.

Albeit very hard to cure anxiety, with the added pressures of international sport.

So very sad to read this, she’s been (still is) a magnificent wicket keeper. Best in the world, including men according to Gilchrist a couple of years ago.

I hope the decision improves her condition and she takes solace from all that’s achieved in spite of the struggles she’s faced.

So very sad to read this, she’s been (still is) a magnificent wicket keeper. Best in the world, including men according to Gilchrist a couple of years ago.

I hope the decision improves her condition and she takes solace from all that’s achieved in spite of the struggles she’s faced.

Absolute bullshit from Gilchrist. Complete and utter virtue signalling, she’s never kept consistently to 85+ mph bowlers so that comparison can’t be made.

Absolute bullshit from Gilchrist. Complete and utter virtue signalling, she’s never kept consistently to 85+ mph bowlers so that comparison can’t be made.
I take your point, to me though great keepers earn their reputation through their glove work close to the stumps. On that front Taylor’s reaction times and agility have been as good as anyone I can think of in the men’s game over the past decade.

Maybe because of stuff like this is why gilly took the need to mention it. @brandon

You do realise that reaction times are consididerably different when standing up to 65mph compared to 85 mph.

I kept wicket a bit in my career, I wouldn’t ever claim to be particularly good at it, but I reckon I stood up to quicker bowlers in NEPL1 than she would’ve done for England Women.
Not saying for a second she'd have had the same international career, but definitely a good County one.

Nah, sorry marra, but I cannot accept she would’ve had a ‘good’ County career when playing against consistent bowling in excess of 80mph.

Wasn’t there a plan at one stage for her to play some county second team cricket? That all went quiet. Wonder why?

Last edited:
have a look on twitter and have a look at one of her catches. player reverse sweeps and she anticipates it and takes it at about 2nd -3rd slip - unreal catch - the umpire is stood just shaking his head at how good it was.

Regardless of what some people think she was one of the best keepers this country has produced.

have a look on twitter and have a look at one of her catches. player reverse sweeps and she anticipates it and takes it at about 2nd -3rd slip - unreal catch - the umpire is stood just shaking his head at how good it was.

Regardless of what some people think she was one of the best keepers this country has produced.
The best women’s wicket keeper we’ve ever produced, yes.

Back