Samsung Galaxy S8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a Samsung account actually needed? Only reason I think I'd need one is for find my phone, but Google does it now so is it worth using Samsung's?

Only other thing might be their fitness app, recall it was ok on my old S4.

Is a Samsung account actually needed? Only reason I think I'd need one is for find my phone, but Google does it now so is it worth using Samsung's?

Not really mate. Just use google account.

I wouldnt rely on Google's, or at least do some testing with it. I lost mine a few weeks back and was trying to make it ring, couldn't hear it so thought I had really lost it. Found it later and the message from Google was just crashing the phone with an error.

This is my next upgrade for sure
Only thing I'd suggest is getting a case for the back, spigen do decent cases. Recently bought one for my phone. The iris scanner is decent and the finger print scanner for me actually isn't that bad, sure it could be a bit lower but I've had no problems with it.

This is my next upgrade for sure

Hold off on that purchase mate. It's not all that it promises, at all!

Finger print reader is shockingly bad. Either doesn't recognise, or find yourself fiddling to find it whichever way you are holding the phone. You end up touching the camera lens, so much so they have included some software detection for a dirty lens and it prompts you to clean it! :lol:

Then the retina/face detection, shite. Works now and then, but you cant rely on it, so you end up reaching for the finger print on the back, somewhere, wherever it is, rubbing the camera lens, ah there it is...you're in. Shite!

And as fast as the phone should be...it just isn't. It lags from the moment you take it out of the box and only gets worse.

Some positives, lovely design and feel, very good headphones, battery is decent (see note below though)..that's about it.

Battery..they are having a laugh here tbh. The phone, out of the box ships in a scaled down mode. So cpu/gpu clocked down, screen resolution lowered to FHD, not the UHD screen it raves on about...and brightness reduced down by around 10% of what it should be to make it comfortable to use.

So basically they rave on about it having X/Y/Z, but because they are going to hammer the battery they turn it all off by default.

It's going back, what a let down after the note 8 fiasco.

Well I caved and I got mine and it's pretty amazing, the screen is just stunning.

Watching a 4k video and it's incredible, IPhone can't really compare

Well I caved and I got mine and it's pretty amazing, the screen is just stunning.

The screen is amazing. Thats it.

The iPhone still blow sit away for speed and apps and the camera tbh.

Remember you need to actually change the resolution cos they sneakily ship it running FHD...

I couldn't really see the difference between the default 1080p mode and full resolution. How about you?

I couldn't really see the difference between the default 1080p mode and full resolution. How about you?

The YouTube app is defaulting to 1080p and isn't giving you the option for full 4k yet , go to YouTube desktop page and you can put the video in 4k and it looks pretty amazing

The screen is amazing. Thats it.

The iPhone still blow sit away for speed and apps and the camera tbh.

Remember you need to actually change the resolution cos they sneakily ship it running FHD...

I've never been impressed with the iPhone camera , honestly think the Samsung camera is better.

The only issue Android has is with apps and unsure how that can be fixed easily. With so many phones having different specs and screen sizes it makes it tough for developers

The YouTube app is defaulting to 1080p and isn't giving you the option for full 4k yet , go to YouTube desktop page and you can put the video in 4k and it looks pretty amazing

I've never been impressed with the iPhone camera , honestly think the Samsung camera is better.

The only issue Android has is with apps and unsure how that can be fixed easily. With so many phones having different specs and screen sizes it makes it tough for developers

The youtube app takes your screen resolution - so change to the proper resolution of your screen and youtube will show you 1440p. Thats the resolution of your screen, not 2160p, so will give you all you need.

The iPhone camera is much better, the Pixel XL comes close - better for some shots/video scenarios, worse for others. The Samsung one takes Samsung usual approach and tries to make everything as bright as possible, which spoils the shots, makes them look too artificial. Each to their own tho!

The issue Android has with the apps, is the issue android has as an OS, as you say, way too fragmented and it won't ever change. Its the same as how windows just doesn't run as well as MacOS - it's neigh on impossible for it ever to happen - way too many factors to consider with the infinite amount of hardware. For me it just ruins it, the apps look and perform crap and the OS is the same. Feature wise, Android blows iOS out of the water - but that can also be a huge negative.

Best Samsung phone yet, but the fact they basically under clock the phone out of the box is a bit daft, but maybe also their sneaky way to give it a half decent battery life - as when its all whacked up to the Max (as they advertise it at) then the battery is very average unfortunately.

Main thing is the end user, as long as they enjoy the device - thats what matters.

Finally got mine sorted and should be here tomorrow. Anyone recommend any cases because I'm a f***ing arsehole when it comes to phones

Had it a few weeks now. Superb other than the Bluetooth in the car and van stuttering. Quick look around some forums dont suggest a fix anytime soon

Had it a few weeks now. Superb other than the Bluetooth in the car and van stuttering. Quick look around some forums dont suggest a fix anytime soon

Not just Bluetooth mate it's the same with android auto. Every now and then it just drops out back to main screen.

It's started to get noticeably sluggish as well.

Battery is doing well mind. Used iPhone 7 plus and the s8 today about the same amount of time. Maybe used the s8 more tbh, s8 on 48% and iPhone was 10%

Not just Bluetooth mate it's the same with android auto. Every now and then it just drops out back to main screen.

It's started to get noticeably sluggish as well.

Battery is doing well mind. Used iPhone 7 plus and the s8 today about the same amount of time. Maybe used the s8 more tbh, s8 on 48% and iPhone was 10%
It fixes by disconnecting and reconnecting but it happens EVERY time but connects to a Bluetooth device. Very very annoying

It fixes by disconnecting and reconnecting but it happens EVERY time but connects to a Bluetooth device. Very very annoying

Aye that's pretty much what happens with android auto and that's cable connection! Got a bit better with the latest firmware but still happening too often!

Aye that's pretty much what happens with android auto and that's cable connection! Got a bit better with the latest firmware but still happening too often!
Samsung are aware of the problem So hopefully it'll get sorted as it's the only fault I've found. Shouldn't have been released with such a well reported fault

Samsung are aware of the problem So hopefully it'll get sorted as it's the only fault I've found. Shouldn't have been released with such a well reported fault

Aye especially with the bad press from the failed note 7! Tough one though as they had to get something out quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back