Samsung Galaxy S8

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the s7 edge how do yiu turn the edge off? Had mine about a year and never used it. Its annoying when you press it accidentally.

Other than that it's a good phone. Prefer it to any iPhone I've had

I thought everyone just used whatsapp now. I don't know anyone who uses iMessage

nope, and everyone i know who has went to Android over the last few years for whatever reason have gone back to iOS at the first chance mostly stating iMessage as the reason.

Noticeably though or are you talking about running a benchmark app and it having a lower number?

Noticeably mate. Benchmarks (single core) iPhone wins as always but multi core these new devices blow them away.

Actual usage through still not as fast on the s8!

I know this thread is about the S8/S8+, but there are a few who have switched both ways. I have had iPhones since the 3G, I have an aging macbook and an aging iPad, my apple TV has been replaced so I am getting less and less locked into the apple ecosystem. However there is one big thing I cant ignore and that is iMessage. I only know 2 people who doesn't use an iPhone and am regularly in group chats that are so easy on iMessage. If I was on a Android (the S8+ would be the one to tempt me) then I'd be either using SMS and have people pay for photo messages or have them have to use something like whatsapp so you become the one that misses out because people just cant be arsed to have the same conversation on iMessage and on whatsapp. With iPhones being so popular I cant be the only one who has this issue?

I avoid iMessage for this exact reason mate.
Stay cross platform and keep your options open.
Use whatsapp.

I'm definitely getting one this year like. Sick of my iphone with it's shit battery, jitteryness and general papdom.

You'll notice android is MUCH more jittery mind mate. The OS is still not as slick as iOS by a long shot.

They'll have left some useful feature off from the S7 and included some load of balls that nobody wants or cares about.

A basket case of a company that only continues to exist due to it being too big to fail

Don't know about that but I have to admit that the so-called "Smart View" app that came with out new telly is really clunky. I have to restart the router every morning to get my pc to connect to the TV wirelessly. This is despite the fact that both the pc and the TV have fixed ip addresses assigned by the router's dhcp. You'd think that a company like Samsung could craft a stable network file-sharing application.

What's everyone view then?

I've grabbed an s8 (not the s8+) and can't decide if I like it.

Build wise, amazing. Screen is amazing.

Not sure about the default modes of scaling the speed down and the resolution mind! What are they worried about here?

It's faster than the OP3 it seems (both usage and power under the hood) but surprised at the camera being the same as the s7. Seems decent though, again better than the OP3.

And it is still slower to use than the iPhone 7. Madness considering this is a brand new device!!!
I had a plus for a day. I thought it was going to be the first to seriously tempt me to break my ban on Samsung and Apple so I arranged for a loaner.

I was disappointed. The screen doesn't seem as big as it should be, because the diagonal size is taken up in more height. It seems too narrow. If someone wants to go nonstandard on the display I'd prefer more width. Humans read most comfortably horizontally (left to right, not really pissed) after all. The colours were awesome though.

Also the finger print sensor is stupidly placed. I just couldn't get the hang of it. Kept tickling the camera. Needs building into touchscreen.

And the pretendy home button doesn't really need to be active when the screen's off. Double tap on the screen is better imho.

Performance seemed OK. Nothing to write home about.

Even though it wasn't on the spec sheet I was hoping for a UFS/MicroSD card slot, to take advantage of the USB 3 speeds. No joy.

Couldn't get the bugger to recognise NTFS or EXT2 on USB sticks either. Bummer. Me Oppo does both.

No use if you want to root/rom it. You lose Samsung Pay.

On the plus side being able to send Bluetooth sound simultaneously to two sets of speakers in different rooms is handy. Aptx is good to have.

Build quality is excellent but there did seem something a little bit fragile about it. Maybe it's just the lightness and amount of glass.

Bixby was decidedly meh. Switched to Google Now.

Got through the day on one charge in 1080p mode despite playing with it quite a lot. Not sure if full res mode would spoil that.

It took about twice as long as me Oppo to fully charge.

File transfer with PC is fast.

Not a phone for chip lovers. Smudgy as owt.

Didn't pull any more chicky babes than usual.

Overall I think I'll hang on to me trusty Oppo for a bit longer.

You'll notice android is MUCH more jittery mind mate. The OS is still not as slick as iOS by a long shot.

android can quickly clog up, you need to clean it to keep it running fast
i use super cleaner and ccleaner, once every day or 2, and it works a treat, its the worst flaw in android for me

i use super cleaner and ccleaner, once every day or 2, and it works a treat, its the worst flaw in android for me
It shouldn't. Is your internal storage getting over 90% full? If it is, that's your problem. Flash storage starts to bog down when it hasn't got enough spare room left. That's one reason why it's worth having an SD card to keep big stuff on.

Never used them and not noticed my s7 going slow. Only use internet, streaming and a couple of apps though. Hated the iPhone iOS. Every update the phone got slower and slower

My last 3 have been HTC's - Desire (rated best phone at the time by techradar), M7 (rated best at the time), M9 (rated as not the best at the time)

Fancying a change this time and upgrade due so I think I'll get an S8.

Using s8 now. Loved Windows phone so finding Android a bit of a pain but the phone is good once I found out how to install a keyboard that works. Just need to find the bits to replace what Windows doors by default I guess.

Don't know about that but I have to admit that the so-called "Smart View" app that came with out new telly is really clunky. I have to restart the router every morning to get my pc to connect to the TV wirelessly. This is despite the fact that both the pc and the TV have fixed ip addresses assigned by the router's dhcp. You'd think that a company like Samsung could craft a stable network file-sharing application.

I worked for Samsung for nearly two years and have to say it was frustrating and hilarious in equal measure.

They make the current European champion of uselessness (Vodafone) look like bunch of amateurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back