Same starting 11 v Peterborough or gooch in?

I’d be tempted to put O’Brien in the middle, Gooch and Maguire either side. I think movement is more troublesome for defenders in this league than physicality.

Gooch can start when he consistently shows his decision making has improved, stops giving free kicks away in the top 1/3 of the pitch to relieve the pressure on the opposition and stops whining on to the refs when he doesn't get his own way. Time to grow up lad and as with McGeady, Parkinson may be offering you choice and you had better make the right one. As at MK last season class goal and shows what he is capable of, we want more.

Scowen? Can someone tell me what he did to deserve a start after yesterday and what Leadbitter did wrong? All I saw from Scowen was a string of poor touches losing and giving the ball away. He might be better than he showed but before he starts he has to produce better as a sub. Power wasn’t great but still was better than Scowen
Agree. Seen a few people slating power yesterday but he was fine on the ball and in the tackle without being great. People like roker report talking about him giving the ball away loads yet he had a 92% passing rate. Accept he could offer more creativity if he’s going to be more advanced but he was ok.

Scowen is the new flavour of the month because he’s not in the team and had a decent game in a reserve fixture. Much like Ryan noble, Duncan watmore etc he gets better the longer his absence is and because he’s not one of the players labouring through games in the first team. He was on the pitch for half an hour touched the ball 12 times, dispossessed once and completed 70% of his passes. Very similar to his stats across his career.

I’d be tempted to put O’Brien in the middle, Gooch and Maguire either side. I think movement is more troublesome for defenders in this league than physicality.

Is the penny finally beginning to drop for some supporters in this league? I've been saying this since before we started a league game down here, I had seen dozens of Pools games over the years to have figured this out yet loads kept banging on about needing a big strong forward which is absolute bollocks. Good movement in this division is what you need up front, you don't need a plank running into defenders.

Last edited:
Gooch can start when he consistently shows his decision making has improved, stops giving free kicks away in the top 1/3 of the pitch to relieve the pressure on the opposition and stops whining on to the refs when he doesn't get his own way. Time to grow up lad and as with McGeady, Parkinson may be offering you choice and you had better make the right one. As at MK last season class goal and shows what he is capable of, we want more.
About 20 goals and 15 assists across the last two seasons (2nd of which wasn’t a full season) he can whinge at the ref all he likes. He’s far and away one of our best and most effective players. Ridiculous him not being in the side

Is the penny finally beginning to drop for some supporters in this league? I've been saying this since before we started a league game down here, I had seen dozens of Pools games over the years to have figured this out yet loads kept banging on about needing a big strong forward which is absolute bollocks. Good movement in this division is what you need up front, you don't need a plank running into defenders.
It’s the key thing Maja had.

Keep Gooch as an impact sub.
Feeney for Flannigan and play 442
Willis or ONien right back
McGuire Scowen Niel Diamond
OBrien and Graham

Keep the ball on the floor and play football.

Parkinson rarely changes the team like. Last season he refused to when we were on a half decent run. I think he will keep it the same, although I think gooch should come in for O’Brien

I'd stick with O'Brien to start against the Posh. Did anyone notice the 2 goals they scored late on against Fleetwood yesterday? They brought on some pace as well so we've got be savvy against these lot and not burn out too early. They will be the hardest team we've faced so far and an important one to win.

Scowen? Can someone tell me what he did to deserve a start after yesterday and what Leadbitter did wrong? All I saw from Scowen was a string of poor touches losing and giving the ball away. He might be better than he showed but before he starts he has to produce better as a sub. Power wasn’t great but still was better than Scowen

BETTER PLAYER WHEN NOT IN THE TEAM

I’d bring in Gooch for Graham and try OBrien up. I know he hasn’t been great so far but his movement and positioning seems better than the other 3 and hasn’t had a chance there.

Come to think of it probably worth trying against lesser opposition. Probably same team with Gooch on at the hour.

Last edited:
About 20 goals and 15 assists across the last two seasons (2nd of which wasn’t a full season) he can whinge at the ref all he likes. He’s far and away one of our best and most effective players. Ridiculous him not being in the side
Appreciate what you say and the facts speak for themselves but he needs to improve other aspects of his game. He has to become more consistently affective, as do alot of the younger players, and a manager been a bit hard with them and forcing them to improve is not the worse thing in the world. With Gooch I think the natural talent is there but due to his lack of height he needs to excel and unless he improves he will be left in this division when we move on. In footballing terms he's not a kid anymore. Honestly hope he makes the right choices for himself as I personally love our own young lads in the team.

Which is why Hume is so important- always making runs and creating space for others

Appreciate what you say and the facts speak for themselves but he needs to improve other aspects of his game. He has to become more consistently affective, as do alot of the younger players, and a manager been a bit hard with them and forcing them to improve is not the worse thing in the world. With Gooch I think the natural talent is there but due to his lack of height he needs to excel and unless he improves he will be left in this division when we move on. In footballing terms he's not a kid anymore. Honestly hope he makes the right choices for himself as I personally love our own young lads in the team.
Wingers are notoriously inconsistent because they try to do things that few other players can do, high risk high reward attempts. If he was consistently making the right decisions he wouldn’t be playing in league one. As a fan base we have to start accepting that players can have good games and bad games, that they can make good decisions and bad decisions. It sometimes feels like a player has to be perfect to be considered decent otherwise they’re shit with little grey area between.

Hume yesterday is a good example. Seen a few people calling him shit and saying he was crap yesterday because he put in four bad crosses in the first half. Crossing is a high risk pass. A cross success rate of around 20% is deemed good whereas the elite level crossers like TAA are at about 30%. 1 in 68 crosses leads to a goal. The fact he put in 5 crosses and we scored from one is what we should focus on, not the bad ones. If he completed more than that he’d have one of the best cross rates in the world. That’s before you even consider the standard of the forwards and their movement.
I’d bring in Gooch for Graham and try OBrien up. I know he hasn’t been great so far but his movement and positioning seems better than the other 3 and hasn’t had a chance there.

Come to think of it probably worth trying against lesser opposition. Probably same team with Gooch on at the hour.
Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but are you suggesting O’Brien upfront because he hasn’t had a chance there? He’s played every game up front.

Last edited:

Back