Salah Aged 22

From Aug 22nd 2014

With less than ten days remaining in this frustrating transfer window, Sunderland will be looking to add to their seven additions with the latest player to be linked being Mohamed Salah from Chelsea.

It was the Metro Paper though. What might have been under Poyet. 🤔
Just as likely we were name dropped by hos agent to try and publicise the player as is actually being interested.

Always love threads like this..lots of different opinions on different players, the good and bad etc. how much we paid, how much we got

And then once in a while someone appears who unites us all.

I give you: Jack Rodwell.
Never got a chance. Needed a good preseason.

Aye it was Wayne though.
Wayne was a better footballer than Gary in schooldays.
He was a right wanker even back then though, full of himself whereas Gary was quiet and just got on with playing football .
whatever you think of Gary he worked and worked to make the best of what talent he had and he reaped the rewards .

That is rubbish. Bent made the decision to leave.

Its came out in recent years that Bruce approached Quinn and asked if he sold Bent could he have the money to reinvest. Quinn said yes and Bruce already had the deal with Villa lined up. Bent instigating that is a massive smokescreen.

It was abundtantly obvious at the time and I said it often enough on here Bruce clearly felt we needed to improve the midfield and attacking midfield areas and thought with Welbeck, Gyan and Campbell fit again (briefly) we were covered up front. He then went on to sign Sess and Muntari on loan with a view to an 8m deal and didn't really know their best positions, playing each of them elsewhere before finding out Sess wasn't a winger (due to Gyan and Welbeck injuries) and that Muntari was better wide than a central midfielder.

Look at Bruce at Hull selling Long at Hull as well - trying to generate more funds after spunking loads on loads of signings elsewhere.

Last edited:
Kilgallon said on the Under the Cosh podcast he was signed and before he'd even played a game Bruce told him he wasn't in his plans and to find another club, think that sums up the Bruce era.

Scattergun. That was after also having a deal for Mensah done, da Silva and Turner and already having Anton here. Kilgallon was the fourth centre back he'd signed that season.

The next season He resigned Mensah on loan and signed Angeleri who had barely played after injury and was a centre half come right back and Bramble, also bringing in Onoura on loan who was another centre half come right back.

Then the next season he's signing O'shea and Brown. no wonder we end up with an unbalanced squad.

Also listening to him on radio at the start of that season was mind blowing. He talked about signing Larsson (who he'd had before) as we needed to improve on set pieces and Gardner as he'd scored goals from midfield as if it was that simple. But then he played Gardener as an out and put central midfielder and he didn't start well or start scoring, which seemed to ignore he'd generally played on the right of a three man midfield given licence for Brum.

Those signings, along with Wickham and Bentdner also impacted the way wed been playing with pacey have a go sides over his previous two seasons - didn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, just players who were available.

Interesting thread to reminisce.

Anybody mentioning Bendtner and Gardner in the same sentence must have a fuzzy memory though.

One of them had ability. The other one was absolutely turgid.

To be fair Wickham was one of the highest rated young strikers in England at the time. His potential just didn't progress and we managed to get a good fee back for him. I can remember when he went on that good run of form in one of the great escape seasons and he looked very good but doing it for just half a dozen games is no good.

Without him, the Gus bus would almost certainly have been relegated from the PL so 10 million was probably good value.

Last edited:
Ten million on Wickham says otherwise
Think we got our money back which was more shocking. All a false economy based on his couple important goals under Gus' great escape
He went on to massive things did Kilgallon.
Blast from the past! Just had to wiki him to find out what happened - I thought he was the CB who got stabbed in the legs while playing for us but doesn't seem to be.

Who was that lad??

Last edited:
Poyet also had a hissy fit and demanded we sign Coates instead of Alderweireld who was all but done at the time too.

Aye, he ended up at Villa, Everton and Wolves after us.
It seemed like the signings of that era were all about Congerton and Poyet trying to spite each other, Poyet getting his own way most of the time and getting the lesser player. Congerton was vilified and definitely saddled us with some shite but if memory serves me correctly, we could've had Alderwiereld and Van Dijk at the back. I do wonder where we might have got to if he was given the same remit as Speakman.

Think we got our money back which was more shocking. All a false economy based on his couple important goals under Gus' great escape

Blast from the past! Just had to wiki him to find out what happened - I thought he was the CB who got stabbed in the legs while playing for us but doesn't seem to be.

Who was that lad??
Callum Davenport?

Still playing....for Tavistock, Southern League Div 1 South.

Last edited:

Back