Safe standing at gigs

Dave Herbal

Striker
I’m currently engaged in a heated debate on social media regarding this.
As far as I’m concerned, if you go to rock/punk gigs anywhere bigger than a pub, you have a choice of standing anywhere in the room and watching the show, or going down the front and being pushed, pulled, crushed and generally knocked about. That’s the way it is and the way it’s always been.
Now, it seems, there are people who are demanding to be able to stand at the front cos “we got there first” and watch the show without being subject to the hurly burly of the pit or the crush of those hanging on for a breather at the front.
Seems to me they have the whole place to stand but are trying to spoil it for the people who want to gan mental be demanding this. Oh and apparently pushing through the crowd to get to the front makes you a dick.

Isn’t this why they are selling golden circle standing tickets now ?
If I’d stood outside for hours to get in first to get in the front row I wouldnt want to give that up either.
Pays ya money I suppose,
Last time I stood at the front was for Oasis nad ended up off my feet at the start and 2 foot from the stage, far too old for that shit now.

As far as I’m concerned, if you go to rock/punk gigs anywhere bigger than a pub, you have a choice of standing anywhere in the room and watching the show, or going down the front and being pushed, pulled, crushed and generally knocked about. That’s the way it is and the way it’s always been.
Now, it seems, there are people who are demanding to be able to stand at the front cos “we got there first” and watch the show without being subject to the hurly burly of the pit or the crush of those hanging on for a breather at the front.
Seems to me they have the whole place to stand but are trying to spoil it for the people who want to gan mental be demanding this. Oh and apparently pushing through the crowd to get to the front makes you a dick.
I almost agree with Captain Shambles. If you are at the front, you take what is coming and if you want peace and quiet, stay further back.
Only the last sentence I have a problem with. If you're trying to push past me to get to the front you're going to get an elbow in your face. There's ways and means of edging your way forward without being a dick about it.

So, is their argument for a golden circle type thing (first in gets a spot, maybe) or that once you get to the front you get to stay there with space around you?

I don't mind people pushing through to get to the front but get annoyed by people who've arrived late and decide to try to get a good view regardless of who they inconvenience though.

I almost agree with Captain Shambles. If you are at the front, you take what is coming and if you want peace and quiet, stay further back.
Only the last sentence I have a problem with. If you're trying to push past me to get to the front you're going to get an elbow in your face. There's ways and means of edging your way forward without being a dick about it.

It's all about politeness and consideration if you're moving forward.

One thing that really annoys me is people sitting on the floor until the band comes on then get annoyed when they get stood on. It's a semi-darkened room full of people who are standinng...

Last edited:
The 02 on Sunday was class with The Wildhearts headlining and music from Terrorvision,Reef,Dodgy... nowt better than being in the middle of it all... if you wanna stand safely then sit down at the back....

Depends where you are. If you’re at the academy, it’s easy to get down the sides with “excuse mes” all the way then pile into the middle during a rowdy one. However, if it’s crammed solid like Northumbria uni, and you’re stuck at the back, there’s only thing for it. Excuse mes while you push through all the way then gap hopping through the mosh to the front. Me and @I’m Spartacus were forced to employ the bulldozer technique last year, and if you didn’t want to move there’s not much you’re going to be able to do to stop a 30 stone train coming through. Naughty I know but my philosophy is “if you don’t want people to push past, stand closer to the front”. I’m not talking spilling pints and knocking people over mind, just a relentless progression through the battle zone.

I've been involved in numerous moshing at the front myself and there's nothing wrong with it. However I hate it if I'm stood say 2/3rds of the way back and a group of people start moshing around me. If you want to mosh do it with the big boys and girls at the f***ing front

Thing is, if people are ganna gan on like arseholes and 'gan mental' as you put it, why does it have to be down the front? They're not exactly watching the show. I'd agree with the people who 'got there first' to be honest.

I almost got in a fight at a neil diamond gig for this exact issue! :lol:

Fella was stood front and center before it started and wouldn’t budge as the place got more crowded. I ended up being in contact with him (sounds better than ‘I ended up touching him’) and he gave me a massive shove arguing it was his spot and he was there first.
Prick. Like he’d never been to a gig before.

Even as ND started his show and everyone started moving/singing etc he stood in the same spot, arms crossed.

IMO where you stand at a gig is a game of survival of the fittest. Especially for more ‘energetic’ music. The less fit stand nearer the back. If you want to stand at the front of a Megadeth concert like the fella above, you’re gonna have a bad time.

I think he may have been autistic in hindsight.

So, is their argument for a golden circle type thing (first in gets a spot, maybe) or that once you get to the front you get to stay there with space around you?

I don't mind people pushing through to get to the front but get annoyed by people who've arrived late and decide to try to get a good view regardless of who they inconvenience though.

It's all about politeness and consideration if you're moving forward.

One thing that really annoys me is people sitting on the floor until the band comes on then get annoyed when they get stood on. It's a semi-darkened room full of people who are standinng...
Yeah, all you need is a second barrier to solve the problem. They do it at Leeds festival, about 20 yards from the front.

If you have to push to get to the front, then you should have checked your sundial and arrived earlier.
And pay £5 a pint? The smart cookies stay in spoons until about 5 mins before the show.

Depends where you are. If you’re at the academy, it’s easy to get down the sides with “excuse mes” all the way then pile into the middle during a rowdy one. However, if it’s crammed solid like Northumbria uni, and you’re stuck at the back, there’s only thing for it. Excuse mes while you push through all the way then gap hopping through the mosh to the front. Me and @I’m Spartacus were forced to employ the bulldozer technique last year, and if you didn’t want to move there’s not much you’re going to be able to do to stop a 30 stone train coming through. Naughty I know but my philosophy is “if you don’t want people to push past, stand closer to the front”. I’m not talking spilling pints and knocking people over mind, just a relentless progression through the battle zone.

None of this makes sense. If you want to me at the front, get there early. Don't use the fact that you might be a fat bastard to out smash someone smaller than you out the way. People get to gigs early so they can stand at the front.

At Springsteen at the SOL a few years ago, this pissed up fat tart tried to push her way to the front despite people having started queuing at 6am to get a good spot. Safe to say she was put in her place and sent packing.

Back