***+++*** SAFC v Coventry City Match Thread ***+++***

My view is that in summary we were ok-ish by recent cup standards in 1st half and absolutely dreadful in the 2nd.

1st half - Apart from their goal we were just about ok. They did threaten a bit but I wasnt massively concerned. We got into a few promising positions but wasted them by simply not getting bodies forward quick enough in my view.

2nd half was just completely flat from the off. We had absolutely nothing at all. I was screaming for him to makes substitutions from 55 minutes as time was just passing by and we were going nowhere.
When he did makes subs we did pick up a bit but at 85 when I went to the loo (and missed goal) I thought it was over as I couldn't see us getting the goal. Although we did obviously.

We are in deep shit of you ask me. We are a top 8 team but burdened with crowd expectations of top 2 and it's becoming strained.

That midfield 3 are utter tripe. Utterly utterly shit and Grigg is just finished in a Sunderland shirt. Mcgeady has dropped his levels by about 50% for whatever reason

Its flat as fook and desperately needs freshened up. I'd be dropping Grigg for absolutely certain and mixing up the midfield as well.

Keep the faith mate.
Times like this you have to dig deep. This game will kill us mate.
When we scored today I got up and my head went all light :).
Had to sit down maybe just not used to this.
Cheers, my friend.
Other than meeting my mates of 30 years, for a few pints, afore and after the game, there's little or no enjoyment in the ground, but I cannot give the bastards up.
It's what I do, and have done, for almost 50 years, and I'm fucked if I let this downturn in our fortunes, beat me.
I support my club through thick and thin, and will hopefully be there, if and when, the good times return.

You enjoy every minute, of your team's great form.
God knows, your team has spent long enough in the doldrums, so be sure to enjoy the good times, when they come along.
I hope the good form continues, and keep us updated, mate.
I always enjoy other decent posters, perspectives/views on here, regarding their respective teams.
Have a good night and best of luck for the rest of the season, mate.

Cheers, my friend.
Other than meeting my mates of 30 years, for a few pints, afore and after the game, there's little or no enjoyment in the ground, but I cannot give the bastards up.
It's what I do, and have done, for almost 50 years, and I'm fucked if I let this downturn in our fortunes, beat me.
I support my club through thick and thin, and will hopefully be there, if and when, the good times return.

You enjoy every minute, of your team's great form.
God knows, your team has spent long enough in the doldrums, so be sure to enjoy the good times, when they come along.
I hope the good form continues, and keep us updated, mate.
I always enjoy other decent posters, perspectives/views on here, regarding their respective teams.
Have a good night and best of luck for the rest of the season, mate.

You sound like me.
Just can’t give it up can you and clearly it means so much.
My eldest is starting to get it as well. It would be easier if I lived a little closer but I can’t complain as living fairly central it’s easier travelling North than you having to get to the games in the South.

The players and staff all move on but us Supporters are the constant.
My best mate from school was next to me today, it’s means a lot as we get older but live miles apart but like you the game gives us a chance to catch up.
A club of your stature and support won’t be this far down for a long time.
When they do start that rise you will reflect on these times.

It’s difficult to explain to people why we go through this and keep going.
It’s in the soul and it’s in the heart. Now is not that time to call it a day.
After all it’s YOUR football club and it means everything particularly when you have gone through so much.
Total respect.

I consider myself very lucky to know players and people at the club.
10 minutes before kick off I was talking to the Captains Dad sitting in the Directors box by phone as we have become friends. My lads are proud of that and as I tell them you wouldn’t get that at Man Utd.

Whatever style we play, it certainly doesn't suit Grigg. It was constant hoofs in his general direction and the boos were out of order.
O'Nien and Hume MOTD for me and the game changed with Watmore and Kimpioka's desire

You sound like me.
Just can’t give it up can you and clearly it means so much.
My eldest is starting to get it as well. It would be easier if I lived a little closer but I can’t complain as living fairly central it’s easier travelling North than you having to get to the games in the South.

The players and staff all move on but us Supporters are the constant.
My best mate from school was next to me today, it’s means a lot as we get older but live miles apart but like you the game gives us a chance to catch up.
A club of your stature and support won’t be this far down for a long time.
When they do start that rise you will reflect on these times.

It’s difficult to explain to people why we go through this and keep going.
It’s in the soul and it’s in the heart. Now is not that time to call it a day.
After all it’s YOUR football club and it means everything particularly when you have gone through so much.
Total respect.

I consider myself very lucky to know players and people at the club.
10 minutes before kick off I was talking to the Captains Dad sitting in the Directors box by phone as we have become friends. My lads are proud of that and as I tell them you wouldn’t get that at Man Utd.
I'm grateful that through supporting my team down the years, I've met some amazing people, and made longstanding friendships, with people, from all over the North East, and beyond.
I have my usual set of 20 to 25, matchday mates from Sunderland, who I've known, and travelled home and away with, for decades.
I also have another set of mates, from all over the North East, who I travelled with, to pre season games abroad, each year.
Both sets of mates are great lads and are salt of the earth, and I wouldn't swap them for the world.
In the week, there was over 20 of my match day mates, who travelled to Hartlepool, for the funeral of the oldest of my match day mates, Jimmy.
He was 89 and a lifelong SAFC supporter, who hardly missed a game at Roker Park, or the Stadium of Light, and was a former neighbour of mine, in Hartlepool, and was a much loved and respected mate too.
We gave him a great send off, we laughed, sang, and talked about past away trips, and did him proud.
He used to regale us all of the Sunderland legends he used to watch, in his younger days.
Legends, like Carter, Gurney, Shackleton, Hurley, Clough and Baxter.
I'd like to think he'll be having a pint or two, with these legends, up in heaven, and talking tactics with Bob Stokoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm grateful that through supporting my team down the years, I've met some amazing people, and made longstanding friendships, with people, from all over the North East, and beyond.
I have my usual set of 20 to 25, matchday mates from Sunderland, who I've known, and travelled home and away with, for decades.
I also have another set of mates, from all over the North East, who I travelled with, to pre season games abroad, each year.
Both sets of mates are great lads and are salt of the earth, and I wouldn't swap them for the world.
In the week, there was over 20 of my match day mates, who travelled to Hartlepool, for the funeral of the oldest of my match day mates, Jimmy.
He was 89 and a lifelong SAFC supporter, who hardly missed a game at Roker Park, or the Stadium of Light, and was a former neighbour of mine, in Hartlepool, and was a much loved and respected mate too.
We gave him a great send off, we laughed, sang, and talked about past away trips, and did him proud.
He used to regale us all of the Sunderland legends he used to watch, in his younger days.
I'd like to think he'll be having a pint or two, with these legends, up in heaven, and talking tactics with Bob Stokoe.

I can relate to everything you post.
If we play you home or away I hope it would be a Saturday.
Would have a beer with you without doubt as I would with so many on this forum.
Honestly I don’t really sound like Ian Holloway or look like him 😇

I can relate to everything you post.
If we play you home or away I hope it would be a Saturday.
Would have a beer with you without doubt as I would with so many on this forum.
Honestly I don’t really sound like Ian Holloway or look like him 😇
You'd be very welcome to have a beer or six with us.
I daresay, you'd be in a state, by the time, you've had a pint, with everybody you want to meet, from here. :lol:

I’ve tried to pm you re Jimmy. I’m not allowed to. Any idea why ? Have you blocked me ?

Wouldn't trust the management, scouting team to sign a ballboy based on the last 3 window. The overall has to start at the top or we'll be in this league for the next 5 seasons

You would think just by sheer odds that they would find a player or a manager that made a difference? it’s still hard to get in my head that this is the highest paid squad in the league!

Back