SAFC v Benfica B

Just read the report on safc.com

They described it as 'valuable minutes'. Well that's because we've got next to no preseason.

Fell asleep. It is what it is in the words of Chris Coleman. Too much stock is put in preseason results on here. They're not official games or owt.
what do you mean next to no pre season? four friendlies is what we always have?

Griggs is pap. Injuries have taken their toll.
what injuries? has he ver had a long-term one?

Desperado for a proppa right winga and a balla in the middle
surely embleton is the player for the middle? and people touched themselves moist on here for maguire last year-i got pelters for saying he wasnt good enough for scotland squad..is he not shit?

Grigg has shown little so far to suggest he's anything but a plodder. He reminds me of Danny Graham.
all players at this level are plodders-thats why they play at this level..but grigg has a great record in this league-why are sunderland not creating the nevironment for him to thrive? what are the club doing wrong? is tit playing him out of positon?

Last edited:

surely embleton is the player for the middle? and people touched themselves moist on here for maguire last year-i got pelters for saying he wasnt good enough for scotland squad..is he not shit?

all players at this level are plodders-thats why they play at this level..but grigg has a great record in this league-why are sunderland not creating the nevironment for him to thrive? what are the club doing wrong? is tit playing him out of positon?

Seems the manager is setting us up not to lose....again, creative boys only brought on at HT....nivver seen him play but let's hope Embo is the boy, but there's going to be some long Fookin 1st halves.....

It hurts because the club build them up as big games to get money then drag out the "only for fitness".

Thing is, it IS only for fitness, getting back in the routine, bedding in new players etc. It's Football Clubs faults that it becomes all about results to fans as it's sold as such now to make the moneys.
That Celtic game was f***ing joke.
I think that if I had paid the neck end of £1700 for me and the lad to go to Portugal on the official club trip, I'd be a bit pissed off for the club to come out with that comment. As it happens we were going to drive down through France and Spain but that would have been a 10 day trip....

I think that if I had paid the neck end of £1700 for me and the lad to go to Portugal on the official club trip, I'd be a bit pissed off for the club to come out with that comment. As it happens we were going to drive down through France and Spain but that would have been a 10 day trip....

My point exactly mate. They'll be charging to watch training sessions (sponsored by ABC Builders or some shite) next!

You keep saying we always have four friendlies but you’re talking absolute bollocks as usual. The last time we had four friendlies was 2012 and you have to go even further back to find another season where this was the case.

You keep saying we always have four friendlies but you’re talking absolute bollocks as usual. The last time we had four friendlies was 2012 and you have to go even further back to find another season where this was the case.
Just realised we played in the peace cup that year so it was actually 6. Got back as far as 2008 before I got bored without finding a single season where we played four friendlies

We have a squad totally devoid of creativity McGeady aside and he misses as many games as he plays
And we’re practicing a system which he doesn’t easily fit into.

It's just a pre season knockabout and I thought Burge looked good. He made a good save and his distribution was canny.
Apart from that, we looked very one-paced, pre season or no pre-season, this was on of our main problems last season.

I'd agree. Nobody really stood out as particularly good, I'd say Gooch stood out as being poor, but in general it's just pre-season and it feels like it.

The traits of missing sitters and one on ones needs to be rectified, was only the first pre season game, a lot can change, as long as Ross attacks and doesn't defend a 1-0 lead all the time we will be fine.

Get your hand in your pocket and buy us some better players

Its the second game !!!
3rd!
I’m sorry but I didn’t see any of the positives that people seem to be talking about.
I still thought we were too deep and too spread out.
The switch to 3-4-3 helped a little, and hearing that he’s just playing with formations at the minute eases my mind a little but I’d rather he switched to 4-3-3 and tried that that 4-2-3-1.
But formations are much of a muchness it’s the actual style of play that I’m more interested in.
We only have 2 more friendlies and I’m yet to see anything that looks like we are going to take the game to the opposition.
I’m not bed wetting just a little disappointed.

Back