SAFC v Benfica B

That'll be the same Danny Graham that scored 15 goals in the Championship last season and was Blackburn's player of the year. It's a striker's graveyard here man, oh for the days of Summerbee and Johnston, or Carlos Edwards. Very disappointed to see Gooch starting tonight, absolute gash ! FTM
Gooch was man of the match!

We looked very rusty as is to be expected this early in pre-season.

I thought McLaughlin, Embleton and Samnut did well and Burge looked a decent keeper.

Midfield still needs changing for me. We had a couple of chances to hit them on the counter attack and it was like breaking in slow motion.

McGeady, Power and Honeyman still to add but none of them will provide the pace we need.

We looked very different in the second half to the first when the subs were made. We were breaking a lot faster, pressing and gaining possession in their half more. We looked far more dangerous and keen to get forward, but were frustrated by being more disjointed ... lack of understanding between players, and poor decision making in the final 3rd. Watmore should have scored.

Leadbitter and Robson were both sitting deep. It only needs one of them to do that. And Gooch was also far too deep at wing back. I'm not sure that's what Ross really wanted.It's very hard for the strikers to look good when they have zero service. It looked much better after half time when McGeouch and Sammut were taking turns in going forward and looking to move it more quickly.
The system is the problem. Only 2 in the middle when we need 3, add to that Leadbitters lack of mobility and any pair especially one that includes Leadbitter will naturally drop deep to compensate no matter what they've been asked to do. I'm sure on paper he thinks it will be a swashbuckling 343/3412 but unless you've got a couple of Kante's in the middle it's gonna end up 54---------------1/521----------------2
Can't for the life of me understand why we're not playing 433 when it's plainly obvious it's the system that best suits what we have. Let 1 of Leadbitter, McGeouch or Power sit deep and have 2 of O'Nien, Honeyman, Robson, Embleton, Sammut, Mumba pressing and keeping us higher up the pitch.

Leadbitter and Robson were both sitting deep. It only needs one of them to do that. And Gooch was also far too deep at wing back. I'm not sure that's what Ross really wanted.It's very hard for the strikers to look good when they have zero service. It looked much better after half time when McGeouch and Sammut were taking turns in going forward and looking to move it more quickly.

Didn't watch/haven't seen anything of the game today but in general we need a central midfielder/#10 to get on the ball & carry us the pitch. Would make such a big difference to us.

We simply can't play Wyke and Grigg together without looking isolated unless we move to a diamond. Neither has the pace to run behind or run the channels effectively. Only other option would be for one to drop and make something happen from deeper but not their natural game aswell. Personally wouldn't preserve with Wyke at all at this point.

Need to play 451/433 with two proper wingers with a bit flair that put balls across the box it’s madness relying on league 1 fullbacks to be your creative supply to the striker

Last time we created chances consistently was when Darren Bent was here. Defoe had little to work with, last season was similar, luckily Maja decided to take 95% of his chances. Wyke is a plodder. He’s slow, isn’t particularly good in the air, and only bothers shit defenders. Grigg is slowish, and weak as fuck. We’ve recruited poorly upfront since JR joined. Poor from everyone involved, signing players who are highly regarded at the level and not utilising them properly. Think Wyke just had the season of his life at Bradford, we should cut our losses now.

Pace, aerial threat, much needed.

:lol:

Agree to a certain extent, but that hammering by Celtic a few year back hurt.

It hurts because the club build them up as big games to get money then drag out the "only for fitness".

Thing is, it IS only for fitness, getting back in the routine, bedding in new players etc. It's Football Clubs faults that it becomes all about results to fans as it's sold as such now to make the moneys.
That Celtic game was f***ing joke.

It hurts because the club build them up as big games to get money then drag out the "only for fitness".

Thing is, it IS only for fitness, getting back in the routine, bedding in new players etc. It's Football Clubs faults that it becomes all about results to fans as it's sold as such now to make the moneys.
That Celtic game was f***ing joke.

As was the smoggy game

Back