SAD lamps

I've tried just about everything over the last 20 years to combat SAD. Nowt really worked for me, by the time the clocks go back my mood is shot to bits and I could sleep from 6pm to 8am. All I do now is take a big dose of vit D every day and crank up the exercise once the dark nights roll in, I won't feel happy until next spring but with a bit of luck I will avoid a big drop off and be sick of life like many years in the past.
Hopefully extra light works for you, it does for many but I've suffered from this since been a kid. My Mam used to call me a lazy teen when I was about 8 years old, not sure anyone really knew what it was back in the early 80's, I just knew I couldn't snap out of the feeling during winter.

I’m pretty sure I had SAD when I lived back home. I remember my best mate telling me in the sixth form she was really worried about me when I said I can’t get out of bed before 9 am. Of course we were supposed to be in school at 9 am. Problies the biggest reason why I emigrated.
On a similar note it never used to bother me much as a youngun but I find I get more grouchy every year when the clocks change. I think FL voted to stop doing it but it hasn’t been out into practice yet.

the older I get it takes me longer to adjust to the clocks changing, always feel a bit jet lagged for a couple of days now.

Does anyone here use any of these? Are they any good?

If so, any recommendations?

I have no trouble going to sleep, but I have always had trouble waking up properly at this time of year onwards, and end up starting the day lethargically.

Going to bed earlier doesn’t help .. I just wake up earlier and equally as slow and lethargic!

I have no bother in summer, so from what I read one of these could help - but I suspect most of what I read on the internet is manufacturers paid for ‘reviews’
Not sure it's a SAD lamp you need exactly. I think they are more for mood/depression etc.
I've got an Echo Show and the screen gradually starts changing colour fifteen minutes before my alarm goes off so it replicates a sun rise. Means I don't wake up with a fright and it feels like a more gentle wake up process.

They are usually disgustingly expensive but they can be very effective, we advise people who can't afford them to buy high watt white lamp bulbs and if needed, simple timers. Adhere to the rules about when to use them and you can replace daytime desk lights as well.

I sold my Lumie alarm clock as found it made very little difference but I have asked Santa for a lamp for Christmas this year - thought it would help with working at home and Vit D deficiency

Not sure it's a SAD lamp you need exactly. I think they are more for mood/depression etc.
I've got an Echo Show and the screen gradually starts changing colour fifteen minutes before my alarm goes off so it replicates a sun rise. Means I don't wake up with a fright and it feels like a more gentle wake up process.
Tempted by that. My mood is pap. Not getting much day light.

Also, our lass does my head in. Sets her alarm for work and repeatedly presses snooze for like half an hour / an hour. Just means am then awake as I know the twatty alarm is gonna go off every 10 mins

The more I read and the more responses I see on here makes me think you are probably right - it looks like wakeup lights would be more suited. Its not mood/depression lift I am looking for, just something to wake me up and get me going and it sounds like they do just that.

I have a normal automated LED bulb, so I will set that to start dim and get brighter in the morning and see if that does anything at all. Its a cheap way to test the theory.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late. I've given up trying to beat it, it'll be over in less than 3 months when spring comes round. I just drink more.

Last edited:

Back