Sacked vegan claims discrimination in landmark case

I quickly need to find an obscure interest so when I get sacked for being a useless, lazy fucker I can claim it’s discrimination because I’m a unicorn.

Was the information confidential though?

That's what puzzles me a bit:

Mr Casamitjana worked for the animal welfare charity the League Against Cruel Sports and claims that, to his surprise, he discovered it was investing its pension funds in companies that carried out animal testing.

He says he drew this to the attention of his managers.

When nothing changed, he informed other employees and was sacked as a result

I'd have thought as an employee I would have a right to know what my pension fund was being invested in and to raise it with the trustees if I was unhappy about it - which I suspect some of the people working (and contributing) to a charity like that would be.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a valid reason for dismissing him, but equally I don't see where the vegan element and discrimination come into it either.

I guess there is more about this that we don't know.

Remember this crazy wifey from this morning who was absolutely determined her dog was vegetarian because that's all it would eat.

Spoiler alert.... dogs will eat anything when hungry.

:) The gimps being feeding him veg only hasn't she, poor sod. It's like saying Noel Edmunds only eats rice & beans :)

I'd have thought as an employee I would have a right to know what my pension fund was being invested in and to raise it with the trustees if I was unhappy about it - which I suspect some of the people working (and contributing) to a charity like that would be.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a valid reason for dismissing him, but equally I don't see where the vegan element and discrimination come into it either.

Guardian story from June quotes the League Against Cruel Sports saying his dismissal had nothing to do with whistleblowing...

“Mr Casamitjana was not dismissed because he raised concerns about the pension, either internally or externally, so there is no substance to his claims that he was ‘whistleblowing’.

Link

Was the information confidential though?

Are atheism and humanism covered under the Dicrimjnation act I wonder?

He worked for an anti animal cruelty group and they had investements in companies that carry out animal testing. Think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to disclose, nowt wrong with whistleblowing.

Exactly. I’m pretty sure I can get hold of the info on where my pension is invested if I want to.

If I told people I worked with about that, and then got sacked, I’d be finding a lawyer pretty quickly. So I don’t really know why he thinks he needs to go down the vegan route.

He worked for an anti animal cruelty group and they had investements in companies that carry out animal testing. Think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to disclose, nowt wrong with whistleblowing.
I don’t even think it’s whistleblowing though. I think the information is probably public anyway if people want to look for it.

Guardian story from June quotes the League Against Cruel Sports saying his dismissal had nothing to do with whistleblowing...

“Mr Casamitjana was not dismissed because he raised concerns about the pension, either internally or externally, so there is no substance to his claims that he was ‘whistleblowing’.

Link

That makes a lot more sense than the article on the BBC Site. Clearly there was another reason, and equally the reasoning behind the pension investments is explained and something he could have opted out of.

Back