Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES) - Please put sensitive content behind a spoiler

The Telegraph was reporting an overnight operation to liberate Snake Island. The Russians claim they shot down fifteen drones there yesterday. They also reckon Ukraine tried this back in May and lost a load of aircraft and special forces (no photographic evidence either way).

While strategically important I'm not sure how easily Ukraine could hold Snake Island. Its a risky place to get supplies in and out of.

i think its more a case of deny its use to Russia rather than reclaim and hold - it dominates the exit/approach to Odessa but i cant see any other islands in the area

if they could reclaim then great, but even making it a contested area might have 2 effects - it would allow (risky) passage of ships out of Odessa, and might drag in more Russian assets for a whacking

edit - ninja'd by Bulwell

I wish all parties in this would come to the table and at least try to sort out a diplomatic solution. It's OK for us to supply more and more weapons but it is now prolonging the war and its not our civilians being killed.
Boris and Truss have done nothing but exasperate the whole situation and never once even attempted diplomacy.

I wish all parties in this would come to the table and at least try to sort out a diplomatic solution. It's OK for us to supply more and more weapons but it is now prolonging the war and its not our civilians being killed.
Boris and Truss have done nothing but exasperate the whole situation and never once even attempted diplomacy.
When Russia gives back every blade of grass it’s taken and pays reparations for the murder and rape of the Ukrainians then talks might start.

Boris and Truss, etc can be blamed for many things but they have got their support for Ukraine spot on--supply of weapons , and training of troops and almost certainly valuable intelligence as well as visible support of their Leadership.

If only France and Germany had been so supportive the Russians might have thought more about Diplomacy--not that they should be allowed to keep their spoils mind

Boris and Truss, etc can be blamed for many things but they have got their support for Ukraine spot on--supply of weapons , and training of troops and almost certainly valuable intelligence as well as visible support of their Leadership.

If only France and Germany had been so supportive the Russians might have thought more about Diplomacy--not that they should be allowed to keep their spoils mind
I think that Russia has been given a bloody nose and will want out of the conflict as much as Ukraine. Now is the best chance to stop it and both parties save face. Otherwise there is no endgame.

Putin`s desire to save face will hopefully see him get his arse well and truly kicked--which is exactly what bullies like him deserve when found out!
I hope so too and I think he already has. It needs to stop soon for the sake of millions of people around the globe who are facing famine.

I think that Russia has been given a bloody nose and will want out of the conflict as much as Ukraine. Now is the best chance to stop it and both parties save face. Otherwise there is no endgame.

What do you you suggest Ukraine offers Russia for the war to stop because Russia isn't leaving with the ground it already holds.

Both sides still believe they will win so there is no middle ground. Only when one side is on the hoof is there a possibility for an agreement.

Back