Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES) - Please put sensitive content behind a spoiler

I mean all else aside, there are some absolutely outstanding buildings in St Petersburg.

The admiralty is at the focal point of the 3 major avenues converging.

All along the waterfront, the architecture is simply stunning.

Logon or register to see this image

I was there twice in my late teens/early twenties when it was Leningrad. Still one of my favourite cities.

I mean all else aside, there are some absolutely outstanding buildings in St Petersburg.

The admiralty is at the focal point of the 3 major avenues converging.

All along the waterfront, the architecture is simply stunning.

Logon or register to see this image
Russia could have been a thriving tourist destination if they had a leader who lived in the 21st century. Some stunning-looking architecture in both St Petersburg and Moscow.

But thats it, there is fcuk all else
Yekaterinburg is another beautiful city. There’s a great Kremlin in Nizhny Novgorod. The Pokrovsky orthodox cathedral in Vladivostok with its alternating gold and blue domes is a beautiful building.

The ice caves at Kungur are tricky to get to using public transport, bus, train, another bus then a taxi but we’ll worth a visit. The views from the Monument to Salavat Yulaev in Ufa at night are breathtaking, mind that might have been just the lasses in their stiletto heeled boots negotiating the icy paths.

The tranquility of listening to eagles calling over the dam at the Hydro electric facility in the forests outside Krasnoyarsk was shattered only by the armed guards asking what I was doing there.

I never made it to Baikal but would certainly consider carrying on the Trans Siberian railway to Irkutzk if ever the opportunity rose again.

The people I know who have lived around the mountains of Sochi describe it very favourably.

Where was it you were thinking of that was fuck all else, out of interest?

Where was it you were thinking of that was fuck all else, out of interest?
Got sent to Moscow for work about 10-12yrars ago. Went to St Petersburg by train (flew back) must have taken about 6 hours, scenery made Lincolnshire look exciting. Train was decent, better than ours, but the flight back was a nightmare, had to invest in new underwear

Got sent to Moscow for work about 10-12yrars ago. Went to St Petersburg by train (flew back) must have taken about 6 hours, scenery made Lincolnshire look exciting. Train was decent, better than ours, but the flight back was a nightmare, had to invest in new underwear
So you basically did the equivalent of London to Birmingham and back and can now say there’s fuck all else in the whole of the rest of the U.K.

Actually having done Milton Keynes more than a few times, you’d probably be right.

Last edited:
Russia could have been a thriving tourist destination if they had a leader who lived in the 21st century. Some stunning-looking architecture in both St Petersburg and Moscow.
Worked there for a few months, St Petersburg is or sorry was a great city.

As it’s Putins city I’d love to see an explosion obliterate one of his landmarks though.

He would not be happy and neither would his servants.

North Korea is apparently one of the hardest countries to invade.

Yep. Whilst I don’t condone their regime the one thing they have got right is their ability to defend themselves.

They are a pretty small, impoverished nation but they would decimate Seoul in 30 minutes with artillery and have an estimated 80-100 viable nukes.

You can question the price their people have paid for the investment in defence but Ukraine (Who gave up nukes) and Taiwan (Who tried 3 times to develop them but were stopped by the US) must look at the much poorer N Korea and think that they wouldn’t be in this situation if they had particularly the same level of nuclear deterrent

I was lucky enough to go to St Petersburg in 2019 and is was a great experience with some amazing buildings.

My next trip to Eastern Europe will be to Kyiv when the war is over and of course, if it is still part of Ukraine. I feel it is the right thing to do and if I can help their economy in some tiny way through such a visit as well as seeing the city, then it will have been worth it. I think the locals will be welcoming too which always help when abroad!

Have the Russians been bumping shit old
Gear and ammo up to the front to make Ukraine run out of HIMARS before they send what’s left of the elite troops and tanks in?

the problem with that is all of those troops are (or were at least) stationed around Moscow etc or their borders to protect the regime. comitting them would be a big deal according to what i read much earlier in the war.

i agree with what the bloke says in the video smoker posted on this page, that the russians will seak some peace deal so they can take stock, amass more troops, better gear and have another crack in a couple of years.

Aye. Also electricity from the hydro electric plant. The flash flood would like destroy the bridges downstream, several villages and (depending on topography) central Kherson. It would stop Russia resupplying the troops on the western Bank for weeks.
So killing their own citizens then 🤔.

Agree about St P but have to disagree about Moscow. Horrible, sprawling concrete eastern block monstrosity, St Basils and some stunning underground stations excepted. Thought it was a really ugly city myself, granted not having had too many chances to see it in detail as I was always there for work.

Back