Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES) - Please put sensitive content behind a spoiler

He's a tankie. Always has been

Friend of mines dad was from Eastern Poland.

When the Russians invaded he was sent to a Soviet forced Labour camp in Siberia. Lots of his colleagues and friends died of starvation

After the Germans invaded Russia Britain persuaded Stalin to allow Polish forced labourers to join the Anders Army - the Free Polish - they were the forth largest allied army in Europe

He travelled from Siberia to Tehran, often on foot, to join up with British forces

He came to the UK where he trained as a Paratroop. He was one of the Free Polish who landed at Arnhem. Only died 2 years ago aged over 100.

I realise that this isn't massively relevant, but I think that these stories need remembering
yep, we should never forget the sacrifices that were made by the global community who fought against fascism

i've recently finished reading a book (dont ask me what it was called), detailing the non-British/Commonwealth airmen who flew for the RAF during the war (so the Free French, Belgians, Norwegians, Czechs, Poles, etc) - and all the political shenanigans that went on during the period. So a series of highs and lows that you would have thought would have ended on a high at the end of the war - then you read about the Czechs and Poles who either returned home voluntarily or were forced/coerced by us/Soviets to return - only to disappear into prison camps

Friend of mines dad was from Eastern Poland.

When the Russians invaded he was sent to a Soviet forced Labour camp in Siberia. Lots of his colleagues and friends died of starvation

After the Germans invaded Russia Britain persuaded Stalin to allow Polish forced labourers to join the Anders Army - the Free Polish - they were the forth largest allied army in Europe

He travelled from Siberia to Tehran, often on foot, to join up with British forces

He came to the UK where he trained as a Paratroop. He was one of the Free Polish who landed at Arnhem. Only died 2 years ago aged over 100.

I realise that this isn't massively relevant, but I think that these stories need remembering
Respect to your mate's Dad.

Humans can be remarkable when pushed. They can also be really really bad.

Probably why we have taken over the planet.

Speculation is that it's one of these - 22160 Class - capable of launching cruise missiles.

Logon or register to see this image
I was relieved when the other day Putin said he was going to equip his ships with hypersonic missiles. Once they wre launched the missiles would be very difficult to stop but it seems that the ships that are carrying them won't present any problem.

Probably a combination of debris and smoke from the explosion of the first car & perhaps even small arms fire on the bend
Nah, simple physics - too fast and ran out on the bend.

The driver saw the car in front get hit and then floored it to get out of dodge - either forgetting about or not seeing the bend.

aaah, this old chestnut

point 1. look at a map, see how far the germans got in OTL. Now look at see how far again it is to the industries that were moved to the Urals, or to the oilfields

point 2. look at the concentration of forces that the Germans amassed to go East, and compare it with what they left behind in France, or transferred to North Africa

logistics win wars, and the Germans were at the end of their rope
some good points, but I have to disagree a little.

Mind its all if and butts at this stage, but had the Germans not been delayed, had they went direct to Moscow, I think things would have been very different, plenty of people hated the Stalin government and was no love lost, it also took time to move the equipment and factories, with the politic head removed chaos would have ruled. The Germans would have been seen to be unstoppable.
I remember an old lady being interviewed, cant remember if it was on TV or a book, but she said there was little choice between Hitler or Stalin, both hated the people, both would be happy to see them die, both tyrants. it came down to choosing the one that could speak Russian.

I do enjoy reading about it, if the panzer Divisions weren't removed from north group, if this and if that.

Fun to discuss but we will never really know what could have happen, we just see what happened and looking back helps with looking forward today.

You do make a valid point which is important today, Logistics win wars and its Russia's current logistic problems which will be a massive factor in losing this war in Ukraine.

In WW2, If the Germans had been able to concentrate on Russia in the East and not USA/UK in the west at same time, they'd have bladdered the Russians - make no mistake about that

Facts. Without the North Africa and Italy campaigns, there'd have been another 1 million Italians and Germans on the Eastern Front. The Russians also received half a million jeeps, trucks, tanks and planes under the USA lend-lease scheme. Prior to this, they were getting an absolute kicking. Stalin had purged the leadership of the red army in the 1930's and they were a mess.
Reported as being off the Kinburn spit near Kherson in the Ukraine war sub-reddits. (bit further north than Sevastopol)

"Slava Rossiya...blam"

Should have put the sledge hammer on the gas like he was threatening.

Last edited:
Somewhere in Russia the troll farm gaffer will be reading this thread and seething.

Why won’t they listen dammit?!?

More meat for the grinder. Imagine how many would die in a harsh winter.

Last edited:
Somewhere in Russia the troll farm gaffer will be reading this thread and seething.

Why won’t they listen dammit?!?

More meat for the grinder. Imagine how many would die in a harsh winter.
If the troll gaffer is as useless as the Russian political and military leaders, the troll gaffer hasn't even worked out how to turn on his computer yet.

If the troll gaffer is as useless as the Russian political and military leaders, the troll gaffer hasn't even worked out how to turn on his computer yet.
The Kremlin phone him for a report once a week.

All is going very well sir, the western fools will be rushing to negotiate because they all think they’ll run out of money soon, as you promised!

Back