Runs down to third man

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephen cartwright

Sorry but this annoys the hell out of me. Basic poor shots, amid some deliberately played, get a reward of an easy four runs.

Put a man down there saves three immediately. Take the midoff away, as you want to encourage front foot play, to bring the edge, lbw, caught behind and bowled into play

If a batsman plays a good shot through midoff for four, fair enough, but all these clips through the gap for four is rewarding a poor shot

Rant over

I remember cook got lambasted for having a third man against New Zealand

Then the winning catch was taken at Third man....not a word

Sorry but this annoys the hell out of me. Basic poor shots, amid some deliberately played, get a reward of an easy four runs.

Put a man down there saves three immediately. Take the midoff away, as you want to encourage front foot play, to bring the edge, lbw, caught behind and bowled into play

If a batsman plays a good shot through midoff for four, fair enough, but all these clips through the gap for four is rewarding a poor shot

Rant over
Most pace bowlers want a mid off because they hate getting driven. Jimmy Anderson is one - part of the reason he often bowls a good length rather than a full one. Agree though, no third man is a nonsense

I remember cook got lambasted for having a third man against New Zealand

Then the winning catch was taken at Third man....not a word
Wasw this not when he put Moeen Ali as a backstop and a couple of balls later the ball went sailing of the keeper's head for a catch? I've never seen that fielding position used before and I suppose it'll be the last too.

I disagree. Whilst third man has its place, when attacking you simply have to sacrifice someone, and IMO third man is one of the first. With a new swinging ball and an away swinger on I want 3 slips, a gully, a point, a mid off, then 3 on the leg side to encourage the bowler not to bowl to wide of off stump thus allowing an easy leave. Moving mid off to third man in that field leaves acres for an easy single, completely removing the pressure. I know you may say 4 to third man alleviates the pressure, but as a batsman early on I dont think it does. You are facing the next ball, knowing you have been done all ends up. You would probably have rather had that easy 1 to mid off to watch from the non strikers end for a few balls.

Completely agree later in the innings though it has its place.

Surely there's not a right and wrong answer. The captain only has so many outfield players to put in place to stop runs or to be in catching positions. When it's right would depend on how many fields you can use to stop run scoring, the bowler - if he's bowling outside off-stump a glance down to third man is a relatively easy shot and also the batsman's technique.

Of course you see games when the fielding team is leaking boundaries to third man and the captain seems to wait ages before putting a fielder there.

I disagree. Whilst third man has its place, when attacking you simply have to sacrifice someone, and IMO third man is one of the first. With a new swinging ball and an away swinger on I want 3 slips, a gully, a point, a mid off, then 3 on the leg side to encourage the bowler not to bowl to wide of off stump thus allowing an easy leave. Moving mid off to third man in that field leaves acres for an easy single, completely removing the pressure. I know you may say 4 to third man alleviates the pressure, but as a batsman early on I dont think it does. You are facing the next ball, knowing you have been done all ends up. You would probably have rather had that easy 1 to mid off to watch from the non strikers end for a few balls.

Completely agree later in the innings though it has its place.

this is how i feel... yes it might be 'easy' runs but they are false runs.... if you are defending runs that's one thing but if you are chasing wickets a false shot for four isn't a big sacrifice to put the fear of gad into the batsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back