Running thread 2023

I've done Redcar parkrun before. Thought about doing the half marathon later in the year if they still have one.
18.5 miles done. I'm out fast meaning I was out for 3hrs 40. Only two long runs left.
*not fast

Last edited:
I've done Redcar parkrun before. Thought about doing the half marathon later in the year if they still have one.
18.5 miles done. I'm out fast meaning I was out for 3hrs 40. Only two long runs left.
*not fast

Same route as the parkrun, just 20 laps instead of 3. There are still places at Darlington South Park 20 in 2 weeks if you're interested.
Managed to knock out my 2nd fastest 20 miler at Locke Park today which I'm over the moon with considering I'm 3 weeks behind on my training schedule & wasn't sure I'd even finish + i overslept this morning & grabbed the wrong bag as I rushed out, so got there & had no club vest or my preferred gels & had to create a fuellng strategy based on a Mars bar at the start then a collection of random gels from other race goody bags that I stuck in the boot in case of this sort of thing happening.

Last edited:
I did it. Got round in target pace (5:50-5:55 per mile)
Mind my hips were knacking by the end. Some tight corners in the lap

Feeling ready for the 26.2 now, enjoying the training

Good luck with yours

They've smoothed the 2 tightest corners out slightly & reversed the direction since I last did it.

Last edited:
Ran the most unique parkrun ive ever been to this morning, Berkeley Green in Gloucestershire. All run in an old power stat

No excuse for running out of energy late on then :)
Managed my last long run today. Only on at 18 miles. Plantar facitis killed my training, im getting old and fatter which hasn't helped. Run was round Houghton, silky, prem Road and Chester Road back to shiney. Good few hills but no excuse fir shit time of 3 hrs 20. Trying not to put pressure on myself and just finish. I was nowhere near the start line a couple of weeks ago and now it looks like I'll at least get to start. Leeds a month later may be a bridge too far but we'll cross that one when we get to it. Hope everyone does well in spring and hits goals.

Last edited:
No excuse for running out of energy late on then :)
Managed my last long run today. Only on at 18 miles. Plantar facitis killed my training, im getting old and fatter which hasn't helped. Run was round Houghton, silky, prem Road and Chester Road back to shiney. Good few hills but no excuse fir shit time of 3 hrs 20. Trying not to put pressure on myself and just finish. I was nowhere near the start line a couple of weeks ago and now it looks like I'll at least get to start. Leeds a month later may be a bridge too far but we'll cross that one when we get to it. Hope everyone does well in spring and hits goals.
That long drag up Chester rd from the Broadway till it levels out around the monument is a killer. I prefer doing it the other way and coming back up through silky, past Gilly law flats, farra and east herra then onto west and new herra.
At least the biggest hill is up silky past Sainsbury's and to the cricket club and it's over fairly quickly

That long drag up Chester rd from the Broadway till it levels out around the monument is a killer. I prefer doing it the other way and coming back up through silky, past Gilly law flats, farra and east herra then onto west and new herra.

At least the biggest hill is up silky past Sainsbury's and to the cricket club and it's over fairly quickly

Well they do say hills are good for fitness. It was walk jog walk from 14 miles in tbh. Idea was to have 2-3 mile downhill section at end, good for psychology of run and kept me going. Pleased I won't need water belt now, killing my lower back. 9 or 10 miles next Saturday then 10k or 4 miles all the way :)

So it's 4 weeks till my debut marathon appearance 🤣. I haven't missed a long run yet but this weekend have just felt crap with head and stomach ache. Plan was 20 this week and 22 next before taper. My 16 and 18mile runs went fine. Knackered at the end but felt fine throughout and no aches and pains the following day. I thought about catching up with the long run on Monday after work but I'm wondering if it would be better just to leave it and do at least 20 next sat - 21/22 if I feel ok?????

So it's 4 weeks till my debut marathon appearance 🤣. I haven't missed a long run yet but this weekend have just felt crap with head and stomach ache. Plan was 20 this week and 22 next before taper. My 16 and 18mile runs went fine. Knackered at the end but felt fine throughout and no aches and pains the following day. I thought about catching up with the long run on Monday after work but I'm wondering if it would be better just to leave it and do at least 20 next sat - 21/22 if I feel ok?????
Do you ever have recovery weeks?

Get 9 or 10 in during the next couple of weeks and you'll be fine. Hope it's cooler than last year.

Not sure whether to do half or 10k. Leeds is week after and pier to.pier week after. Sensible to do 10k?
Aye I'd say 10k.

I've got washy 10k the week before the half.
Managed the half last year ok ish with only 1 10 miler in the run up.
Mind I also went all out on the 5k the night before over the spire bridge.

Definitely hoping it's cooler this year, light drizzle would be superb. The heat killed me last year.

Aye I'd say 10k.

I've got washy 10k the week before the half.
Managed the half last year ok ish with only 1 10 miler in the run up.
Mind I also went all out on the 5k the night before over the spire bridge.

Definitely hoping it's cooler this year, light drizzle would be superb. The heat killed me last year.
Hoping for a couple of cooler Sunday mornings in May, doubt it'll happen though. I do get carried away and enter too much. There's a nice route padlst Herrington, Durham Rd, back through to Chester rd and penshaw on my strava. I may do it tomorrow as my last "long" run. You should try it before Sunderland. It's a nice downhill finish :)

Back