Running thread 2023

Funny owld thing running. This time last month I ran 18 mile and felt like I was cruising. Then I got tendinitis.

Today I’ve just done 5k, scraped under 30 minutes by 10 seconds and I’m absolutely buzzing. I’ve noticed my mood, temper and energy has all been shocking in the last month. I tried doing weights, and will continue to, but it doesn’t fill the void of running.

I was training for a marathon but the constant battering of my knees has forced me to abandon that plan. The race season starts again soon so time to get Duathlon fit and I’ll tag the odd long run in there when I can, shift a few kilos and pick up the marathon plan towards the end of summer.

Funny owld thing running. This time last month I ran 18 mile and felt like I was cruising. Then I got tendinitis.

Today I’ve just done 5k, scraped under 30 minutes by 10 seconds and I’m absolutely buzzing. I’ve noticed my mood, temper and energy has all been shocking in the last month. I tried doing weights, and will continue to, but it doesn’t fill the void of running.

I was training for a marathon but the constant battering of my knees has forced me to abandon that plan. The race season starts again soon so time to get Duathlon fit and I’ll tag the odd long run in there when I can, shift a few kilos and pick up the marathon plan towards the end of summer.
I'm injured and I'm so fed up. I feel your pain.

Someone on there reckons it's fulwell quarry, surely not, as it wouldn't be the easiest of runs and I'm guessing parking would be an issue
I was speaking to a local councillor over Christmas and he was telling me about it, they were just waiting for the go ahead from Park Run. He reckons ParkRun have to validate the site and other local race directors get involved. He was saying there is a car park behind the miller and carter somewhere where the start/end will be.

Last edited:
I was speaking to a local councillor over Christmas and he was telling me about it, they were just waiting for the go ahead from Park Run. He reckons ParkRun have to validate the site and other local race directors get involved. He was saying there is a car park behind the miller and carter somewhere where the start/end will be.
Think I know where you mean, sure there used to be footy pitches up there and a set of changing rooms

The annoying this was I couldn’t ride or run so I had nothing to do. I don’t get the same kick from weights as I do from running flat out hanging on for dear life.

Is yours going to keep you out for long?
Been since November, pulled/tore my tfl muscle. Started getting better then slipped on mud in December, done it again. Ran 4 miles yesterday and little pain today so progress. Been able to swim and cycle fortunately.

I tore my gastrocnemius at the Brass Monkey 2 weeks ago. Tried using the exercise bikes at the gym but I hate them with a passion. They induce a level of boredom that even taking my tablet & watching a tv show can't mitigate. Climbing the walls now wanting to go for a run. Physio has cleared me to do parkrun today as long as I take it easy so going to try & shuffle round in about 30 mins.

I tore my gastrocnemius at the Brass Monkey 2 weeks ago. Tried using the exercise bikes at the gym but I hate them with a passion. They induce a level of boredom that even taking my tablet & watching a tv show can't mitigate. Climbing the walls now wanting to go for a run. Physio has cleared me to do parkrun today as long as I take it easy so going to try & shuffle round in about 30 mins.

I can’t get away with how wide the seats on them are, so uncomfortable! Fingers crossed for you at Park Run mate.

Missed Parkrun yesterday which I do as part of my long run so I did 9 miles this morning. Average pace was one min a mile faster than my first 9 miles which I did September last year, when training for Manchester half, so I was happy with that. Marathon training plan really starts stepping up mileage now.

Did my first Scottish parkrun yesterday, Chrichton in Dumfries. Nice enough course, but a nasty little incline right at the end just when you think you've done it. Feel like I'm moving in the right direction at last, but need to get out more during the week. Recent weather hasn't really encouraged me to do that at all.

Did my first Scottish parkrun yesterday, Chrichton in Dumfries. Nice enough course, but a nasty little incline right at the end just when you think you've done it. Feel like I'm moving in the right direction at last, but need to get out more during the week. Recent weather hasn't really encouraged me to do that at all.
I was struggling to get out during the week once dark mornings/nights kicked in. I joined a couple of local groups which definitely helps keep me motivated.

I was struggling to get out during the week once dark mornings/nights kicked in. I joined a couple of local groups which definitely helps keep me motivated.
I'd like to do that, but most of my work is evenings and weekend afternoons so it's rare to find a group that fits my schedule. Apparently 10:30 in the morning is when people go to work! Who knew?

Food poisoning wiped out wed-sat. I got out today with new trainers(much better cushioning). Not sure if trainers, psychology or just rest but I managed 8 hilly miles in 1 15. Not too bad.

Got to step it up this week as April will be here before we know it. Booked accommodation for Leeds now so all set for both a month apart.

Another 4 easy-paced miles in the dodgy calf without incident tonight. Having another no run day tomorrow then try 5 miles on Wednesday morning & physio on Wednesday evening.

Properly starting my training for Edinburgh this week. It’s going to be a long 4 months. :lol: .
Trying to stick to a longer run on the weekend, followed by a mid range one and and a fast one every week with a couple of slow ones on the treadmill for recovery.

Managed 16k Saturday, 8.5 Monday and 5 today. Felt like the 5 I did today was the best i’ve ran in ages. Not the quickest (24:17) but splits were all in the green which I was happy with.

I seem to be going backwards at the minute - base building at low heart rate and pace seems to be getting worse last few days. Suspect is cumulative effect of my treatment giving pint of blood every two weeks, will keep plodding on dont have a race till October.

Back