Running thread 2023

Well done you. I'm no expert but The only thing I would caution is increasing your mileage too quickly increases your risk if injury. Think the advice is either. 10/20% (can't remember which) on your longest run each week. Great progress though. Give yourself rest tomorrow after those 10 miles.
I’m taking it incredibly slow tbf, trying to keep my HR down so the pace is embarrassing, finishing feeling fine. Tomorrow will be a rest or upper body weights day

Just signed up for the Edinburgh marathon, 1st time doing it. Does anyone know what its like to get to and from? Being a point to point makes it really difficult from what I can see.

Just signed up for the Edinburgh marathon, 1st time doing it. Does anyone know what its like to get to and from? Being a point to point makes it really difficult from what I can see.
I did this year, we stayed in Edinburgh centre. It was a complete disaster getting back to Edinburgh. We got the train back as had been warned about the buses provided, trains were no better. :lol:

The run itself was great mind.

Simplest way in is park up at the official park & ride at Newcraighall which is right beside the A1 & get the official bus in which drops you at the back of the start area. Downside to that is it's a 20 minute walk to Wallyford park & ride & 30+ minute ride to get the official bus back to Newcraighall. It's also quite expensive.

Alternatively you can park up at Newcraighall & get the number 30 bus from the main road just outside the car park to Saint Patrick square which is 1 street over from where the official bus drops you. Then after the finish you get the number 48 bus from a street called Newbigging back to Newcraighall (turn right as you leave the finish area then once you're past the school Newbigging is the 3rd road on your right. Bus stop is outside another school on the same side of the road as the school)

On my last 3 I parked up around Inveresk just outside Musselburgh. 10 Minute walk to King Street then number 44 bus to Waterloo Place next to Waverley Station then its about a 20 minute walk to the Start area. 15-20 minute walk back to the car after the finish then easy out to the A1

Simplest way in is park up at the official park & ride at Newcraighall which is right beside the A1 & get the official bus in which drops you at the back of the start area. Downside to that is it's a 20 minute walk to Wallyford park & ride & 30+ minute ride to get the official bus back to Newcraighall. It's also quite expensive.

Alternatively you can park up at Newcraighall & get the number 30 bus from the main road just outside the car park to Saint Patrick square which is 1 street over from where the official bus drops you. Then after the finish you get the number 48 bus from a street called Newbigging back to Newcraighall (turn right as you leave the finish area then once you're past the school Newbigging is the 3rd road on your right. Bus stop is outside another school on the same side of the road as the school)

On my last 3 I parked up around Inveresk just outside Musselburgh. 10 Minute walk to King Street then number 44 bus to Waterloo Place next to Waverley Station then its about a 20 minute walk to the Start area. 15-20 minute walk back to the car after the finish then easy out to the A1
Thanks for that, it's a big help.

Got my first marathon to look forward to in May. I think i’ll be happy just to survive that.
Hoping to improve my 10k and 5k times and get a sub 2 hour HM in.
That’s my last run done for the year.

How’s everyone’s year gone?

It’s been a cracker for me personally, hit PB’s in every distance and a first marathon under the belt.

Finished the year with a steady HM this morning and a total distance of 2207km for the year. 2022 I limped over the line to hit my target for 1000km so i’m delighted with that.

It’s been a cracker for me personally, hit PB’s in every distance and a first marathon under the belt.

Finished the year with a steady HM this morning and a total distance of 2207km for the year. 2022 I limped over the line to hit my target for 1000km so i’m delighted with that.
Only started running in July. Overweight/unfit and struggled to do 3 mile. Since then I’ve clocked up 255 miles, lost 2.5 stone and managed to do a half marathon distance.

For 2024 I’ve got a couple of half marathons and a 10k booked and hoping to do the gnr.

Had some great tips/advice on this thread so cheers to everyone for that 👍

Only started running in July. Overweight/unfit and struggled to do 3 mile. Since then I’ve clocked up 255 miles, lost 2.5 stone and managed to do a half marathon distance.

For 2024 I’ve got a couple of half marathons and a 10k booked and hoping to do the gnr.

Had some great tips/advice on this thread so cheers to everyone for that 👍
Cracking stuff! It’s class once you catch the bug for it.

Uneven year - really in the zone early year, then missed nearly two months due to injury and personal life stuff happening.

Second half of the year really knuckled down there, lost about 3.5 stone and smashed past my 5k PB (which I'd had for 11 year!) and a 10k PB. Feel the best running wise I've ever felt, and really pushing on.

Goals for next year include first ever 1k year, a half marathon PB and continue the 5k and 10k improvements.

18mths into my running journey and the year has gone well. Goals achieved this year-
Sub 30 parkrun. My first back in may last year took 38mins. I did 30:05 in October which was a pb but disappointing as I missed my goal just. Then in Nov I smashed this taking 2mins off in 28:05. I put this big jump down to joining a club.
Marathon - the reason I started running last year. Completed London in a slow 5hr 29. Rookie mistake of going out to fast.
2024 goals- sub 1hour 10km. I think this will be hard.
Marathon pb- I'm signed up for loch Ness in autumn.
I don't know how long I can keep improving at 51 but let's see. Happy new year to all in this great thread.

Back