Running thread 2022

pretty sure you have to book for that one, it's just been refurbished iirc. have you thought about joining a club? north shields poly train from that track. or there's morpeth harriers depending on where in northumberland.

Crammy mate.

Any guidance? I was told to keep away from Morpeth but maybes Blyth?

Why keep away? I know they have some very good runners. Don't know much about Blyth, but the vest is minging

I think it was because of the level of runner they have that they don’t take kindly to runner below them.

Blyth seem like a decent bunch and assuming they will have track sessions too.

I think it was because of the level of runner they have that they don’t take kindly to runner below them.

Blyth seem like a decent bunch and assuming they will have track sessions too.
Honestly don't know blyths setup, get yourself along for a taster!

Looks like it's at whitley bay :lol:

Last edited:
Honestly don't know blyths setup, get yourself along for a taster!

Looks like it's at whitley bay :lol:
You have to book Churchill via the North Tyneside council website.

I run for North Shields Poly and we are a friendly bunch.

My session has different groups from A to G and caters all abilities. We use the track about 4 or 5 times a month

Think you get the first month free as a taster.

There is also a social group attached to the poly called Monkey Runners who meet on Mondays and Thursdays at churchill - think it's 2 quid a session.

Again there are runners from all abilities but training isn't structured

My session has different groups from A to G and caters all abilities. We use the track about 4 or 5 times a month

There is also a social group attached to the poly called Monkey Runners who meet on Mondays and Thursdays at churchill - think it's 2 quid a session.

Edit - just realised I replied to the wrong post

Edit - just realised I replied to the wrong post

I’ve just been down the coast for a walk and saw a load of what I think were North Shields out. Some were running at a canny pace!

I might pop along for one of the sesssions.

Trying Whitley Bay parkrun at the weekend. My 27th location! Anyone done it before?
Yes, it's my local one and my wife is run director this weekend. I will probably be running if I can get my 18yr old son out of bed to look after my parents dog that we are looking after

Can be quite busy at the start as regularly get 350+ runners.

Park at the playhouse as its free.
I’ve just been down the coast for a walk and saw a load of what I think were North Shields out. Some were running at a canny pace!

I might pop along for one of the sesssions.
I was in that session, it was a quick one tonight and seemed to be a lot from the top groups. Bloody windy on the way out

Last edited:
Yes, it's my local one and my wife is run director this weekend. I will probably be running if I can get my 18yr old son out of bed to look after my parents dog that we are looking after

Can be quite busy at the start as regularly get 350+ runners.

Park at the playhouse as its free.
Can’t wait! Legs are still really tired from Kielder so will probably be near the back if that pack today. Will try and park there thanks for the info.

Can’t wait! Legs are still really tired from Kielder so will probably be near the back if that pack today. Will try and park there thanks for the info.
I didn't make it but was standing at the end with 2 dogs chatting with a volunteer. Looked decent weather for it.

Looks like an issue with the results as I am hearing a lot of swearing from my wife who is trying to sort it out

I didn't make it but was standing at the end with 2 dogs chatting with a volunteer. Looked decent weather for it.

Looks like an issue with the results as I am hearing a lot of swearing from my wife who is trying to sort it out
It was a canny parkrun and the weather was great for it. That sounds like a nightmare 😂 sorting through tokens is bad enough so I hope she gets sorted soon.

York marathon a week tomorrow. Watching YouTube video of route. Parts look bleak as in middle of nowhere. Panicking about lack of training. Will do one last long run tomorrow ( I know ow I shouldn't and should be tapered but didn't get near right training so this will be more psychological than physical to prove I can get to longer miles). I usually hit wall at 18 miles. Likely to be 13 to 15 this time. All in the mind from then on and I want another medal.

Ran "Lakes in a Day" yesterday; loved taking part and completing such a difficult course...definitely the hardest event I have done so far and something which will give me confidence for other events. I might give Wooler Marathon a go, but it feels soon on the 5th November this morning, and will more likely take Winter to try and bring my 5&10k times down.

Great event yesterday, loved it.

Good luck to everyone taking part in races this weekend, hope they go/went well.

I’m here for a little bit of a rant to try and make myself feel better, don’t mind me. I’ve done the GNR the last 3 years (one virtual) and each time decided to do marathon base training over the winter.

First time I got into February the following year, was regularly running 18km without issue before rolling my ankle out for a walk in the snow.

Last year I got into November before being struck down with tendinitis in my knee and not being able to run for a few months.

This year I’ve got some crippling chest infection type thing. Played footy in the rain on Wednesday night, felt fine until I woke up on Friday feeling like it been ran over. Yesterday I was all aches and coughing and today my chest feels full of water and I can barely get a breath. Think it’s bronchitis but off to the walk in this afternoon to get it double checked.

Seems like every time I start getting somewhere something gets in the way. Pissed off.

Manchester half for me today too. More of a tortoise than a hare in 2hr 31m but considering I didn't know if I could run a parkrun in may it's good progress. Found out this week Ive got a place in London marathon running for age UK which was the reason I started this running journey earlier this year. I'll be 50 the day before I run!!! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips over the last 6 months.

Back