Running thread 2022

I tested + on 27th of December. Isolated & did no exercise at all for 10 days. Ran Brass Monkey ½ Marathon on 16th of Jan. I was about 10mins slower than I'd have expected if I hadn't had covid but otherwise fine.
Cheers good to know. At least I'm poorly now and have time to get better.... couldn't have done it if it was today. I've done the training so just need to take my time.

Good luck to anyone doing the London marathon today.

Daily routine has changed meaning only shorter runs for the last few weeks and also no park run. Not done any harm though as ran usual 3.5 mile loop in pb this morning.

Been ill for weeks. Lethargic and week. Head cold last 2 weeks but training suffered badly. Number of runs down and distance as high as 15 miles a couple of months ago but nowhere near since. Hoping to do 8 to 10 today and maybe 13 next weekend. If I can manage that I'll take my place in York the week after. I'd expect to jog first half and walk remainder. Be happy just to finish and use as prep for Manchester and maybe Leeds next year if back.

Chester Metric Marathon today. Just using it as prep & last long run before York Marathon in 2 weeks time so concentrated on heart rate rather than pace & still managed a PB so pleased with that. York Marathon is a bit of a bogey event for me. In 4 previous goes I've never managed to not get injured so this time it's going to be just about getting round rather than targeting a time.

Back in the swing of things after that horrendous GNR & a week of boozing in Tenerife.

2 weeks into a marathon plan. They’ve all been easy runs up to now, working on building my aerobic base. 70 minutes tonight. Rest tomorrow & a massage on Wednesday😍

On another note, I’ve signed up to the Great Run Company’s “5 valleys” challenge. 60km in the lakes & 2500m of elevation. Just under a year to train though.

3:51:00 on the dot for the Kielder Marathon today, f***ing hills like.

Fancy a flatty next time if there is one.
Manchester is great for flatness. Couple of inclines but nowt major. Good night out after too :)
Chester Metric Marathon today. Just using it as prep & last long run before York Marathon in 2 weeks time so concentrated on heart rate rather than pace & still managed a PB so pleased with that. York Marathon is a bit of a bogey event for me. In 4 previous goes I've never managed to not get injured so this time it's going to be just about getting round rather than targeting a time.
I'm supposed to be there too. Clocked 10miles in 1 hour 40 (a minute a mile slower than my better efforts) sickness ruined my training but I believe I can finish allbeit a lot slower than I wanted. Is it true there's a nasty hill on mile 25?

Last edited:
I did Herrington yesterday for the first time. I live north of the tyne so usually run Whitley Bay.

I was a minute faster than what I usually do at Whitley and first in my age group.

Lovely route and definitely a PB course.
I did Herrington also. Managed a Palindrome time of 32:23 by accident. Took it very slow as had Kielder marathon the next day. You have done well to go a minute faster. People tend to find Herrington tougher than Whitley Bay 😁
3:51:00 on the dot for the Kielder Marathon today, f***ing hills like.

Fancy a flatty next time if there is one.
Insane time for Kielder. I was significantly slower but with no training, recently having covid and injury problems my aim was just to finish so I was buzzing. The hills just kept coming 😬

Last edited:
Making me jealous reading the Kielder comments, did the duathlon in the pouring rain last year and it was one of my favourite ever days in sport.

Well done everyone, that course is no gimme.

Just under 4 hours for me for Keilder which I'm over the moon with - would have been happy with anything under 4:30.

In my head I thought the course would be steady with some hills, but they were not hills they were mountains. Was my 1st marathon and boy did I pick a hard one.

That snaking bit when you come over the little bridge broke me.

Just under 4 hours for me for Keilder which I'm over the moon with - would have been happy with anything under 4:30.

In my head I thought the course would be steady with some hills, but they were not hills they were mountains. Was my 1st marathon and boy did I pick a hard one.

That snaking bit when you come over the little bridge broke me.

I remember going up that on my bike last year, was soaked to the skin and back wheel slipping all over. Destroyed me

Omg found out today I've got a place in the London marathon running for age UK. This is the race I started my running journey for earlier this year. I could have done with it staying in Oct but I was too impatient to wait till April 2024. So excited - with fleeting.moments of being terrified
Amazing race, good luck with the training

What’s the crack with track running?

Can you just turn up and use a track or do you need to book? Or is it for clubs only? Feel like I need to change my training up a bit.

I live Northumberland mate so it would probably be Churchill at Whitley Bay
pretty sure you have to book for that one, it's just been refurbished iirc. have you thought about joining a club? north shields poly train from that track. or there's morpeth harriers depending on where in northumberland.

Back