Running thread 2022

1 hour 41 About as good as I was expecting.

Anyone else find the new routes to the start areas orange/white a bit of a shambles. Never had much bother getting to start area before but there were massive queues and bottle necks. Poorly organised today.
Ah it was dreadful.

It worked before so why change it?

Finished in 1:58, under the 2 hours i wanted.

3 mins over my ½ Marathon pb but wasn't really going for it & still managed to knock 7:52 off my previous best GNR time with an average heart rate 16bpm lower which bodes well for Yorkshire Marathon next month.
1 hour 41 About as good as I was expecting.

Anyone else find the new routes to the start areas orange/white a bit of a shambles. Never had much bother getting to start area before but there were massive queues and bottle necks. Poorly organised today.

I thought it was fine but I was in my pen by 9:30

Last edited:
Longest run for me tonight. Forgot to Google how many km 11 miles was before I set off so I ended up doing half a mile further than I meant to. Shattered at the end but no tight calfs (just generally aching everywhere below the waist 😀). I'm sure in another 3 weeks I can add another mile and a half and complete my first half marathon in Manchester.

Longest run for me tonight. Forgot to Google how many km 11 miles was before I set off so I ended up doing half a mile further than I meant to. Shattered at the end but no tight calfs (just generally aching everywhere below the waist 😀). I'm sure in another 3 weeks I can add another mile and a half and complete my first half marathon in Manchester.

Well played mate.

Don't worry too much about getting up to the full distance before the race.

Most ½ marathon training plans will have you starting to taper down your distance & intensity with 3 weeks to go, & it takes around 3 weeks for the adaptations from a training run to take effect so you aren't going to gain much, if any, physical benefit from forcing it.

The fresh legs after the taper & the buzz from the day will get you the extra 1½ miles no bother.

If you can do 11 miles you can do a HM no problems.

My parkrun wasshort of volunteers this morning so I volunteered to tail walk. Racked up expecting to walk most of it in about 50mims. Put my hi Viz over my hoody as it was breezy. Typically a 71 year old gentleman was the person running in front of me and ran all the way finishing in 38mins. Was a lovely run in the end but not one I was expecting and I was pretty hot at the end 😃.

My parkrun wasshort of volunteers this morning so I volunteered to tail walk. Racked up expecting to walk most of it in about 50mims. Put my hi Viz over my hoody as it was breezy. Typically a 71 year old gentleman was the person running in front of me and ran all the way finishing in 38mins. Was a lovely run in the end but not one I was expecting and I was pretty hot at the end 😃.

I've had the opposite problem. I turned up dressed to jog (it was still called tail runner back then) but a woman turned up wanting to walk the whole thing & took over an hour with the temperature being about 4ºC + windchill. It took the rest of the day to thaw out.

Decided to do a first run in nearly 3 months today and managed 5k in a dreadful 32mins. After the first KM I was really struggling with foot pain and calf was so tight, I have had plantar fasciitis for 2 years and I thought it had improved but clearly hasn’t. 4 years ago when I used to play football I was doing 21 minute 5ks, started again a few months ago and was around 29mins so it’s a bit demoralising to be well over 30mins.

I tailwalked Whitley Bay a few week back and something similar happened.

I turned up with a pair of jeans on, jumper, flask of tea and the dog as we usually get a lot of walkers and can last to well over an hour

Last one was a guy who ran walked it in about 40 mins. I was sweating.

Won't make that mistake again

Anyone at Wrekenton today for the Harrier League Cross Country.

My least favourite course but at least it's rained so it might not be a dustbowl.

Aim for me today is not get lapped

Anyone at Wrekenton today for the Harrier League Cross Country.

My least favourite course but at least it's rained so it might not be a dustbowl.

Aim for me today is not get lapped
I started, but pulled out with a bad stomach after 2 miles 🙄
Got my best ever 10k today, 37.06 minutes, my previous being 41 dead. I’m usually hanging by the 4-5k point and suffer for 5-6k but today I just felt energised, no idea why and I can’t put it down to anything apart from the boro didn’t lose this weekend!
Cracking that! Was it a race?

Back