Running thread 2022

Just the nike app. Not sure how accurate it is but @squidly diddly will confirm I do seem to run with a massive stride.

Ok, this is making a bit more sense now. You might well be a stride runner rather than a cadence runner (which one you naturally alter to change pace).

Without knowing you I'm going to guess you're quite tall & your foot strikes are out in front of your hips & feel quite hard.

If this is the case try concentrating on landing with your front foot directly below your hips & keeping the strike as light as possible.

Ok, this is making a bit more sense now. You might well be a stride runner rather than a cadence runner (which one you naturally alter to change pace).

Without knowing you I'm going to guess you're quite tall & your foot strikes are out in front of your hips & feel quite hard.

If this is the case try concentrating on landing with your front foot directly below your hips & keeping the strike as light as possible.
You’ve got it pretty much spot on. Cheers, i’m hoping to get out on a run later on, is it just going to be a case of patience until it feels more natural?

You’ve got it pretty much spot on. Cheers, i’m hoping to get out on a run later on, is it just going to be a case of patience until it feels more natural?

Not sure. For me it was noticing that when I was concentrating on keeping my heart rate in zone 2 rather than what my feet/legs were doing the stats showed it was my stride length that changed not my cadence so I did some research.

Any recommendations for a decent watch to monitor heart rate and track distance?

I can't really justify anything over £200-£250.

Tell you what, been cycling a lot and noticing the difference with running hills.

Did try a sprint on the home straight the other day and at 29 I'm not as fast as I used to be :lol:

How did you get on?
Managed 5k across 2 runs. Nike run only lets you check after a run has ended frustratingly.

First 3k I managed to maintain cadence of 159 and around 14:18
Second 2k was 161 and 9:29.

Pretty happy to see it going in the right direction and music set to 160 definitely helped. Planning a long run tomorrow but not sure how it’ll translate over a long distance at a slower pace.

I'm doing my first Great North Run in September, raising money for Durham Samaritans. Although I tried to keep going, I eventually had to accept that I didn't have the time to volunteer for them anymore a few months ago, so this is my parting gift to them.

I've never run for more than 45 minutes before.
Update: running is causing intense pain in my knee after a few miles, each time I run. I've got one of those elastic support things and new, better trainers to see if that helps, but I think I'm going to have to walk a fair bit of it.

Anyone else going to walk the GNR?

Update: running is causing intense pain in my knee after a few miles, each time I run. I've got one of those elastic support things and new, better trainers to see if that helps, but I think I'm going to have to walk a fair bit of it.

Oh that is a right shame.Firstly are you able to defer....running or even walking that distance injured would not be good.
If you are adamant you want to try running but think you'll end up walking the. Look at jeffing., I have just discovered "jeffing". It's a planned run/walk/run strategy/technique. If you Google Jeff Galloway it will give you an idea of whether it's something you want to consider. Basically, if you are going to walk then doing it planned, from the beginning will reduce strain, help you to enjoy the experience and probably not slow you down as much as you think.
PS I'm certainly no expert, I'm just a beginner but thought the jeffing info could be of use.

Last edited:
Oh that is a right shame.Firstly are you able to defer....running or even walking that distance injured would not be good.
If you are adamant you want to try running but think you'll end up walking the. Look at jeffing., I have just discovered "jeffing". It's a planned run/walk/run strategy/technique. If you Google Jeff Galloway it will give you an idea of whether it's something you want to consider. Basically, if you are going to walk then doing it planned, from the beginning will reduce strain, help you to enjoy the experience and probably not slow you down as much as you think.
PS I'm certainly no expert, I'm just a beginner but thought the jeffing info could be of use.
I'll take a look! I think I'll going to walk the whole lot, rather than risk the strain on my knee from running. It doesn't hurt at all when walking.

Discovered recently that my cadence is pretty poor while running. Around the high 140’s and low 150’s. Even when I was making good progress with improving times earlier in the year it was around the same. Any tips on how to improve it? After doing research it seems working on it could help me massively. I’ve started off doing short runs with a metronome aswell as trying to using running playlists and running to the beat but feels like my legs are going far too quick without covering the distance.
You might have git long legs, therefore your cadence is naturally lower?

I recommend going to see a physio. May seem pricey at about £30-40 but for the sake of one session they can tell you what is wrong and they will likely give you some strength exercises and tips to overcome it.

Woo hoo. Smashed my parkrun time again this morning 31m 09 (at spennymoor as well) from 31m 36 at a flat Fleetwood. I was meant to run easy but I didn't. I've got my half marathon 7 weeks tomorrow so I think I need to ease off and leave trying to get under 31m till after that....although it could happen naturally as I'm still getting fitter.

Back