Running thread 2022

I used to do the two in Pompey, both as flat as a pancake and used to get under 32 minutes. The Southsea one sounds like the Fleetwood one, 2.5k out along a flat promenade, then the same route in reverse back home. Crap when there's a decent wind blowing though.
Hartlepool is the local flat as a pancake out-and-back promenade affair. Got my first sub 25-minute Parkrun there. Went to Fountains Abbey today. Beautiful course, full of Parkrun tourists (OK, guilty) and just snuck inside 25 minutes if you ignore the 20 seconds of shuffling around to actually get to the start. Officially 25:05, so I'm sticking with my watch.

Hartlepool is the local flat as a pancake out-and-back promenade affair. Got my first sub 25-minute Parkrun there. Went to Fountains Abbey today. Beautiful course, full of Parkrun tourists (OK, guilty) and just snuck inside 25 minutes if you ignore the 20 seconds of shuffling around to actually get to the start. Officially 25:05, so I'm sticking with my watch.
I an doing Fountains Abbey next weekend and can’t wait 😁

I might put Hartlepool my list. We have a caravan so might look at the alphabet... unfortunately got my f at Fleetwood so fountains abbey might be on hold. As a new runner I just love parkruns - yesterday was number 10 (5 different venues). Whilst I'm training for longer distance I've got to keep them in my plan as they really keep me motivated.

I might put Hartlepool my list. We have a caravan so might look at the alphabet... unfortunately got my f at Fleetwood so fountains abbey might be on hold. As a new runner I just love parkruns - yesterday was number 10 (5 different venues). Whilst I'm training for longer distance I've got to keep them in my plan as they really keep me motivated.

Edit: buggered up the quote from TAD

Some people use parkruns for speedwork or just as a recovery run when their legs are battered so could use them for that! I love them and addicted to doing different venues also. I have done 33 parkruns so newish to park runs also but on 21 locations now!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's kind of my story: Started out with Durham, quickly got the tourism bug. I'm working my way around 'Great North Done', a trip to all the PRs in the north east. Got about 12 so far, plus a couple overseas when I've been away with work. Turns out my Polish is good enough to make sense of a pre-run briefing after hearing it so often in English!

If you're still looking for a 'C' that's pretty local Horden parkrun is actually called Cotsford Fields.

Spennymoor is quite a small parkrun usually about 50 of us (there is shildon, Sedgefield and Durham within about 6 miles). We get a lot of tourists after the J as it's jubilee park/parkrun so anyone after a J pop along....
Has anyone done the Saturn run at Durham before? I wondered if it was flat or not (can't cope with Durham hills). If I'm not ready for a half marathon in October I thought this might give me an extra option in November.

Last edited:
Spennymoor is quite a small parkrun usually about 50 of us (there is shildon, Sedgefield and Durham within about 6 miles). We get a lot of tourists after the J as it's jubilee park/parkrun so anyone after a J pop along....
Has anyone done the Saturn run at Durham before? I wondered if it was flat or not (can't cope with Durham hills). If I'm not ready for a half marathon in October I thought this might give me an extra option in November.
Yes it is mainly flat! No big hills to worry about on the Saturn run

Went out last night for a slow recovery run, it was hard to keep myself focused on taking it slower than usual, but for a nice casual get out 10km in 63 mins, I purposely chose the most hilly route I could in the heat. Sometimes trying to not think about your time is a hard mental battle to have !

I did my longest run today 11.3km/7 mile. Felt better than last week other than the last 2km when I got a dodgy tummy and thought I may have to stop. Managed to make it back home …just 😊. I’ve been finding I’m getting a dodgy tummy when I run further 😞.

I did my longest run today 11.3km/7 mile. Felt better than last week other than the last 2km when I got a dodgy tummy and thought I may have to stop. Managed to make it back home …just 😊. I’ve been finding I’m getting a dodgy tummy when I run further 😞.
It’s common to be honest, the more you run the better it becomes as the muscles in your core etc all become stronger!

I’ve had many scary farts on a long run :lol:

Went out last night for a slow recovery run, it was hard to keep myself focused on taking it slower than usual, but for a nice casual get out 10km in 63 mins, I purposely chose the most hilly route I could in the heat. Sometimes trying to not think about your time is a hard mental battle to have !

Hills on a recovery run? Pretty much defeats the purpose.

Running will loosen up your bowels so you will find you need to poop more the longer you run. I always try and go before my run.
Running from my house it’s hills either way, didn’t fancy driving somewhere for a flat route
Hills aren’t the best for recovery but location can be frustrating sometimes

Last edited:
Running will loosen up your bowels so you will find you need to poop more the longer you run. I always try and go before my run.
My head & body are in lockstep now; i literally only need to head towards getting my running shorts and i'll need the toilet. It's a bit annoying when you just want to get out, but saves it mid-run. I've been meaning to read up on how my body actually does that...it's literally anytime i go for a run I'll need the loo as i'm getting ready.

I also get through a bit of Imodium , if i'm going out for long i'll usually drop 2 of those before I go and that always works.

Back