Running thread 2022

Missed parkrun this morning as haven't been feeling great this week. Was feeling better last night so thought I might give it ago but didn't wake up till 9 so obviously still not right as that's not me. Did 5 mile comfortable Tues (that's a long run for me) but missed my Thursday and today's run. Will try and get out tomorrow and Tues for maybe 5k to get back on track.....going to watch skid row marathon this weekend, hopefully for a bit of inspiration.

Ive just bought a new pair of Saucony but I've got them home and realised they're women's (I just assumed the shop would have gave me men's to try on). Is there any difference between the two and would I be ok wearing them? (They're not pink btw).

Ive just bought a new pair of Saucony but I've got them home and realised they're women's (I just assumed the shop would have gave me men's to try on). Is there any difference between the two and would I be ok wearing them? (They're not pink btw).

Depends on the shoe. Some Saucony models are unisex & some have different sizes. You should be fine either way though.

Agreed to do the “Lake District Ultra Challenge” in June next year. 100k over 2 consecutive days.

I find that when I have something to work towards my motivation stays really high. When I’m training for a race I never miss a workout. Once that race is done I fall off a cliff. I have the GNR in September which I’m working towards now, once that’s done this will hopefully keep me focussed.

Lakeland Trails 55km (but 58km!) today...scorching heat all day, but particularly in the valley from Glenridding to Grasmere. On a runners high at the moment, I've wanted to do that course since I started running. I also met YouTube's Ben Parkes afterwards, who I had some coaching from at the start of the year , which was great. My time is slower than expected, but I think everyone's will be because of the heat.

It's one of the best efforts I've given a run & really pleased with it...!

Now have two weeks travelling in the USA from Monday, so not sure how to plan training for another big challenge with expected beers, work, inter-state flights...I guess i'll just do what I can..but tonight is about having a few beers :)

Last edited:
Been a good week for me. Did the Tynedale 10k on Wednesday, my first event at that distance. Chip time 50:58, Strava gave me 10k in 49:50 (err, OK). Either way, a 10k PB in warm weather, so happy with that. My two targets for this year were to break 25 on a 5k, and run 10k. Done both (OK, today's Parkrun was 25:10 at Gateshead but on the flatter courses I'm closing on 23 mins) and looking for new milestones. Need more hills in my runs, so I'm looking at Chopwell Woods and Hamsterley parkruns in the not too distant. Think I've worked out a 10k-ish route around Durham that will get me going up and down a bit as well.

Otherwise, building towards completing 10 miles with half an eye on the Tadcaster 10 in the autumn. Next year, all being equal, I want a half marathon. It feels good to be able to contemplate that.

Wow 55km in the lakes in yesterday's heat just doesn't bare thinking about - well done @daveydavey . Also well done on your first 10k @pride of the north.
I've only ran once in the last 10dsys as I've been unwell with my anemia (dizziness, headaches and tiredness). Had a good day yesterday but couldn't do parkrun due to being at big meeting so am hoping to get out tonight and do a couple of miles if I feel ok. Feeling really disappointed as I'd got up to being comfortable at 5 mile in the two months I've been running and out 3-4 times a week so this will set me back. At the minute it's going to be a case of running whilst I feel ok rather than set days. Never did I ever think I'd be disappointed at not running. Hopefully I'll keep feeling ok and back at parkrun next week.

Wow 55km in the lakes in yesterday's heat just doesn't bare thinking about - well done @daveydavey . Also well done on your first 10k @pride of the north.
I've only ran once in the last 10dsys as I've been unwell with my anemia (dizziness, headaches and tiredness). Had a good day yesterday but couldn't do parkrun due to being at big meeting so am hoping to get out tonight and do a couple of miles if I feel ok. Feeling really disappointed as I'd got up to being comfortable at 5 mile in the two months I've been running and out 3-4 times a week so this will set me back. At the minute it's going to be a case of running whilst I feel ok rather than set days. Never did I ever think I'd be disappointed at not running. Hopefully I'll keep feeling ok and back at parkrun next week.
Have you been to the doctors? My friend was struggling, iron levels were low, got medication, was flying after.

Have you been to the doctors? My friend was struggling, iron levels were low, got medication, was flying after.
I have thanks DA. It is an ongoing issue which resulted in me needing blood transfusions last year so it is something I need to manage. I've got two types of medications (iron and now folic acid) and awaiting scans to investigate the cause again and I'm the meantime will run on my good days.

I have thanks DA. It is an ongoing issue which resulted in me needing blood transfusions last year so it is something I need to manage. I've got two types of medications (iron and now folic acid) and awaiting scans to investigate the cause again and I'm the meantime will run on my good days.
bloody hell, take it easy!

Got the Hamsterley forest half marathon on Sunday - the website describes it as "Hilly" and "Challanging", so could really do without this heatwave. I'm just going to take it easy I think.

Got the Hamsterley forest half marathon on Sunday - the website describes it as "Hilly" and "Challanging", so could really do without this heatwave. I'm just going to take it easy I think.
I done the 10k a few years ago and it had over 200m of elevation so good luck with a HM 😐

Hamsterley forest half marathon on Sunday Cancelled due to the weather warning. Got to say that although I could have done with the miles in my legs I'm kind of glad.

Back