Running thread 2022

I did think about Durham as my first 10k but decided it was probably too hilly. I'm up to 8k for my long run. this weeks was my third week running that distance and i was really pleased as it's the first time I've felt really comfortable. Took me literally just under an hour (by second's). I did however make a rookie mistake..... I just have normal sports socks and didn't take care putting them on. Ended up with a toe seam under my toe which resulted in a blister on my little toe. Could feel it from about 2k.....I'll not make that mistake again. I assume you can probably get some sort of running sock which doesn't have seams?

I did think about Durham as my first 10k but decided it was probably too hilly. I'm up to 8k for my long run. this weeks was my third week running that distance and i was really pleased as it's the first time I've felt really comfortable. Took me literally just under an hour (by second's). I did however make a rookie mistake..... I just have normal sports socks and didn't take care putting them on. Ended up with a toe seam under my toe which resulted in a blister on my little toe. Could feel it from about 2k.....I'll not make that mistake again. I assume you can probably get some sort of running sock which doesn't have seams?

I use these, don't have any issues.

That's great @D.A thanks. The gear on that site is a really good price as well. Think I'll have a good look at the weekend.
Start fitness are class, went there to get my trainers before the Sunderland half, watched how I walked etc and recommended me the types of shoe that support me, paid £100 for some shoes but had no pain in knees or palantar flaring up

Training has went well the last few months; I've got the Lakeland Trails 55km next Saturday and have centred my training around that. I'm also in the GN10k on Saturday and am 99% I can achieve a PB goal on the flat course...but, unsure whether it's worth the relative effort as the last 10k I raced took it out of me for a few days. The 55km is something I've wanted to do all year, and another 10k will come round...so I'm going to take it easy (hopefully).

Then; two weeks travelling in the USA for work. The first week I am comfortable with not doing much / any training after the 55km, but i'm fretting a little bit about how much I'll be able to do the second week, as looking ahead to the Grand Tour of Skiddaw at the end of August, which will be the furthest i've ran to date (44 miles).

Hope everyone's training is going well.

I’ve been extremely unhealthy for years and done little to no exercise (occasional walk). Been out for my 3rd run this morning, this week. Managed 2.5M in 24:03. I appreciate that is nothing compared to everyone else but feeling good and managed to build up from 2M on first run.

Onwards and upwards!

I’ve been extremely unhealthy for years and done little to no exercise (occasional walk). Been out for my 3rd run this morning, this week. Managed 2.5M in 24:03. I appreciate that is nothing compared to everyone else but feeling good and managed to build up from 2M on first run.

Onwards and upwards!
Mate don't do the nothing compared to everyone else. You did it. Stepping out that door isn't always that easy. You did approx. 4K in a respectable 24:03. Well done and I m not being patronising, well done. There's a personal reason you've started running, doesn't really matter what anybody else is doing. I know the early ones hurt but I hope you felt a little buzz after? If not, keep going, you will.

Onwards and upwards indeed!

Mate don't do the nothing compared to everyone else. You did it. Stepping out that door isn't always that easy. You did approx. 4K in a respectable 24:03. Well done and I m not being patronising, well done. There's a personal reason you've started running, doesn't really matter what anybody else is doing. I know the early ones hurt but I hope you felt a little buzz after? If not, keep going, you will.

Onwards and upwards indeed!
Thanks mate!

Started eating much healthier about 2-3 months ago, cut all midweek drinking out a few weeks ago so now felt like the right time to bring running into the equation. I’ve started to see the scales head in the direction I want so I’m hoping all 3 tie in together and spur all parts on.

Definitely feeling good after and was surprised it was actually 4K tbh, so got an equally good buzz after that. There’s a lot of inspiration flicking through this thread too!

Training has went well the last few months; I've got the Lakeland Trails 55km next Saturday and have centred my training around that. I'm also in the GN10k on Saturday and am 99% I can achieve a PB goal on the flat course...but, unsure whether it's worth the relative effort as the last 10k I raced took it out of me for a few days. The 55km is something I've wanted to do all year, and another 10k will come round...so I'm going to take it easy (hopefully).

Then; two weeks travelling in the USA for work. The first week I am comfortable with not doing much / any training after the 55km, but i'm fretting a little bit about how much I'll be able to do the second week, as looking ahead to the Grand Tour of Skiddaw at the end of August, which will be the furthest i've ran to date (44 miles).

Hope everyone's training is going well.

GN10K isn't flat. Save something for the climb back up to the stadium at 9K

Onwards and upwards!
You will be surprised how quickly you improve if you run consistently.

I need to get back to it. Feel stuck in a rut at the minute and exercise is the way out of it.

Did the Silky parkrun for the first time today. The hill at the end was a bit of a struggle tbh. 34 minutes but I did deliberately take it easy cos I hadn't done it before.

Gonna try Sheels next week.

Where is sheels one at? I normally do Chester park but could be tempted to try another.
Anybody had IT issue (knee pain) before and if so how get over it ?

Aye. Just foam roll the fuck out of it. Get a massage gun on it too if possible.
Thanks mate!

Started eating much healthier about 2-3 months ago, cut all midweek drinking out a few weeks ago so now felt like the right time to bring running into the equation. I’ve started to see the scales head in the direction I want so I’m hoping all 3 tie in together and spur all parts on.

Definitely feeling good after and was surprised it was actually 4K tbh, so got an equally good buzz after that. There’s a lot of inspiration flicking through this thread too!

If I could give you a bit of advice, without sounding patronising - don’t make the mistake I did and think you have to eat more to fuel the running if you’re trying to lose weight.

I ended up running a half marathon and only losing 3 lbs.

Last edited:
Where is sheels one at? I normally do Chester park but could be tempted to try another.

Aye. Just foam roll the fuck out of it. Get a massage gun on it too if possible.

If I could give you a bit of advice, without sounding patronising - don’t make the mistake I did and think you have to eat more to fuel the running if you’re trying to lose weight.

I ended up running a half marathon and only losing 3 lbs.

Starts at Gypsy's Green, down the Leas to Marsden, back up the coast road and finishes at the Bamburgh pub. Last 1k is the same as the GNR apparently. If there's a strong easterly straight off the sea could imagine it would be tough.

Back